INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Defined Video Sort Field For Theater View  (Read 1301 times)

Ducs_Of_Hazzard

• Recent member
User Defined Video Sort Field For Theater View
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:05:35 am »

Hi There!

Been doing some research but it seems the more I read the mor I get confused.

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a field to input say a Sort Name (That I Can Manually Type In) to use for sorting my movies in the various Theater Views?

I've done this with my kids movies on Apple TV but I am really struggling with how to do this in JRiver...  Not that I'm trying to compare JRiver to Apple TV.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
MD

Ducs_Of_Hazzard

• Recent member
Re: User Defined Video Sort Field For Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »

Hi There!

I was able to fiqure out how to create a "Custom Field", input my Sort Names and Sort on that field in the Various Theater Views.

The last question I have is...  Is there a way to display the "Name" under each video file in the various Theater Views as oposed to displaying the "Sort Name" under each video file?  Everything is Sorting Awesome just would like to see the actual video file names and not my Sort Names.

i.e. I would like to see Dr. No as opposed to James Bond 001 (Which I'm Using For Sorting Purposes Only)

Thanks Very Much In Advance!
MD

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »

You can use an expression instead of a field. In the expression there will be a Expression to sort by, and a expression to display. Your sort by would be [Sort Name], and display expression would be [Name]. This would sort by your sort name but display the actual name.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

connersw

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

There are a couple ways to skin the cat depending on how you have your Views set up.

If you're using Sort Names as a Category (under Details in Theater View Set Up), you could change it from a Library Field to an Expression.  In the Expression Window, use [Sort Names] as the Expression to group by and [Name] as the Expression to display.  I prefer using Expressions like this because you can then add basic HTML formatting (colors, bold, attentional details from other Fields, etc).  

The other option is to use Names as your Category from the get-go.  Then in Set rules for file display -> Modify Results -> Sort by -> Sort Names.  

Edit: Ken types faster.

Ducs_Of_Hazzard

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:21 pm »

Hi There!

Many Thanks Guys!!!!  That's Awesome!  The Expression Works Beutifully.

Thanks Again!
MD

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

I would probably handle this a little differently, treating the kids movies separately from other films.

You could tag the kids movies with a keyword such as "Kids Movies" and then create a new view which only displays files containing the keyword "Kids Movies"

Alternatively, you could create a separate user account for them, and tag the files with the username "Kids Account" (or whatever you choose)
That way you can set it up so that they only have access to files which are specifically tagged with that account, and nothing else, requiring a password to access the other files.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

For the films in a series, I would handle it very differently.
I would create a new view with two levels. The top level would use:

Code: (Expression to group by) [Select]
TVInfo(SeriesDisplay)
TVInfo() Wiki

This displays the [series] information if it exists, or [name] if not.
That way you can tag all your James Bond films with "James Bond" in the series field and they will all show up in that group.

The next view would be custom:
Code: (Expression to group by) [Select]
formatdate([Date,0],yyyyMMdd) [Name]
Code: (Expression to display) [Select]
[Name, 1]
This will sort all items in a series by the release date, but only display the names.
There are images of how to set this up here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86633

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:23 pm »

Many Thanks Guys!!!!  That's Awesome!  The Expression Works Beutifully.
Thanks Again!
MD

Thanks for letting us know.

There are several ways to achieve the result you are looking for. The program is very powerful in regards to customizing views.
Don't be afraid to ask how to accomplish something.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up