INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC won't fully quit  (Read 1869 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
MC won't fully quit
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »

I restored my windows MC20 library to on Mac MC20 and now i can't get the program to fully quit on the mac. If i try to force quit, MC doesn't appear, but it definitely appears to be open because I can't remove or replace it from the applications folder. I can only relaunch the program after reboot.

It was quitting and relaunching fine before i restored the windows library, that must have something to do with it.

Looking for an easy way to restore the windows library to the mac side.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC won't fully quit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »

Read here and down in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88907.msg610064#msg610064

Another perfectly valid option is to restore the Library, then select and delete all of the (now broken) links to the files.  Then re-import the actual files.  That will preserve all of your customized views and everything, and any Smartlists you've made.  As long as the tag data has been all saved to the files themselves, you won't lose most of your tags either (though some fields, like [Date Imported] will reset).  However, this will also obliterate any manual Playlists you've created, as they'll no longer point to the files.

The Find & Replace method does work well, though.  I've done that myself to migrate a Library over onto my Mac.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »

Read here and down in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88907.msg610064#msg610064

I suspect the actual problem has more to do with restoring the Settings from the Windows side, rather than the Library itself.  But I'm really not sure.

If it started after you restored the Library, though, that is certainly a good place to start.  Here's an easy test:

0. Make a Library Backup.
1. Clear the current Library.
2. See if it goes away.

If it doesn't go away, with the Library cleared, then it must be settings and not the actual Library.  In that case, try to make it shut down, and wait a LONG while.  Then, force quit if needed.  Re-launch MC and then gather a Log Package and we might be able to figure out what is happening.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:43:04 pm »

Thanks, read through the thread you linked and I can see it will be helpful for migrating my windows library over. In the past I would just find/replace the drive letter, but it looks like MRC posted a workaround for that.

This other thing with it not quitting/relaunching properly is still an issue. I tried clearing the library and then quitting, but then still couldn't re-open. Rebooted, restored windows library, quit, couldn't re-launch. Rebooted, got error log. (attatched).

Thanks for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:11:21 pm »

This other thing with it not quitting/relaunching properly is still an issue. I tried clearing the library and then quitting, but then still couldn't re-open. Rebooted, restored windows library, quit, couldn't re-launch. Rebooted, got error log. (attatched).

Unfortunately, you did too much.

I want to know if:

1. You can Clear the Library and then quit MC (apparently not).
2. Force MC to quit (the easiest way will be via the Activity Monitor, though you can also just reboot if it is really stuck).
3. Now, try to open MC.  Wait a minute, and see if it closes gracefully.

It isn't that surprising that: if the Library is corrupt, whatever process is getting stuck because of it, is already stuck when you do the Clear Library command.  So that next attempt to quit isn't very important.  It is the one after that with the cleared Library that will tell us something.

So, if you do the above, and the behavior is identical (it won't quit even when started "fresh" with a cleared Library) then you KNOW it isn't related to the Library at all.  You can restore your backup and ignore that.

In that case, I'd next clear Settings (the stuff in Tools > Options that is separate from the Library).  I can tell you how to do that, when we get there.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:34:43 pm »

Well I just did a fresh install (which is the first thing i tried, before bugging you nice people about it!) and deleted all traces of JRiver from the computer, and now it seems to be quitting and re-launching just fine. I think I must have forgotten to un-check "restore settings" during the restore. Fingers crossed.

I do really appreciate your help, THanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up