INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interaction with youtube  (Read 14702 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Interaction with youtube
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:02:53 am »

I have a problem where if JRiver was open, at all, during the same boot I then cannot watch youtube - it just hangs, till the next reboot, where it will play provided I dont open JRiver.

Whats going on?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Re: Interaction with youtube
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:27 am »

On any single boot, if I listen to jriver unless I reboot I then cannot go and listen to youtube or vimeo. The cursor just does not move on those video files and nothing happens.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:32 am »

Are you trying to watch these videos inside Media Center or in your browser?

Do you have sound from any other player or webpage (like perhaps internet radio) before the reboot?

I ask because I have had a few instances where I suspect that Media Center did not release exclusive hold on my sound device which caused issues watching a video in my browser or an app without a reboot.
. . . the game is rigged

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:42 am »

Im with ASIO that doesn't have the exclusive hold of wasabi, but it is clearly related to that issue.

I am trying to play through the browser. No other sounds attempting to play

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:50 am »

Check your default device in Control Panel > Sound.  Maybe MC has been selected as the default device with the WDM driver?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:07 pm »

Matt - the only device listed in my playback section is my DAC?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:31:11 pm »

Matt - the only device listed in my playback section is my DAC?

He means in the Windows Sound Control Panel:

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:16:43 pm »

yes thats what I meant - I was referring to the playback tab in hat panel. The only item listed is my DAC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:07 pm »

It shouldn't be, if you're running the latest build of MC, unless you manually removed MC's WDM driver.

Check through:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:09 am »

So it shouldnt look like this?

http://s7.postimg.org/zc1o37arv/Untitled.jpg

The trouble shoot guide doesnt help at MC is working fine. The issue is when I exit it, I then cannot play vimeo/youtube until a fresh reboot

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:05 am »

Make sure you're running the latest build, as is step one in the Guide.

The presence of the sound device Matt was looking for isn't directly relevant to your issue (he was telling you to turn it off anyway), but because the thing (which is new) isn't there, I'm pretty sure you're not running the latest build right now.  And nothing is worth diagnosing unless you're running the latest version, because we could be talking about a problem already solved.  Otherwise, the Guide does help because you can review the other things listed there, and follow the instructions for posting the information we need to help you solve the problem (including the Logging).

I'm pretty sure MC can't directly block your ability to run YouTube in a separate browser.  So it isn't clear what is happening.  If MC uses your audio device in Exclusive Mode, and the audio device is kept in-use by MC (as it would be if left paused and not exited but minimized) then this could be what you're seeing, though it wouldn't stop the YouTube videos from playing, they'd just play with no sound.  Perhaps when you think MC is closed, it is actually crashed or hung, and the UI is just no longer available, and so some driver is kept in a half-used state or something?

But it isn't clear from your descriptions here exactly what is happening.

If MC is actually successfully exiting, and a separate, third-party browser is actually hanging, then MC itself cannot have anything to do with it.  It sounds like you have general problems on the PC, and maybe MC is triggering some (otherwise hidden) underlying issue.  If the entire PC is freezing (which maybe I could intepret some of your posts that way) and you have to reboot it to get it to do anything at all, then this must be a driver or some other deeper OS problem, because MC absolutely cannot do that.  The OS won't let it.

In any case, the log package may provide a clue.  And, it is most likely a driver or hardware problem of some kind, unless I misunderstand what exactly is happening on your system.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:23 am »

Thanks for your explanations. I am defo running the latest version 20.0.21, but I did the channel update thing and it installed something and now it is in the control panel window. Will run a log now

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 01:01:58 am »

OK just did a test.

1. Played JRiver
2. Then excited and tried to play something on youtube.
3. At this point normally the video would play a second or two, silent and then freeze. The rest of the computer would work normally.
4. After that update, however, the video plays, but plays silently. This is actually pretty reassuring as its not more "predictably wrong".
5. In that same control panel I see that MC is still the output playback device while youtube is playing and its picking up on the sound, as the volume bars are moving.

Presumably the fix is now simple?

As a seperate note, how that does new function in the control panel work? I thought we are supposed to bypass everything and go straight to DAC for best sound quality?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:23 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:51 am »

Thanks for your explanations. I am defo running the latest version 20.0.21

The latest as of right this moment is 20.0.27, not 21.

As explained in the guide, the latest version is NOT the one on the regular Download page.  I think you have it now, though, because you updated it through MC (which, when set to Latest in Options, will update to the latest public release, not the one on the Download page).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:18 am »

5. In that same control panel I see that MC is still the output playback device while youtube is playing and its picking up on the sound, as the volume bars are moving.

Your statements seem to be contradictory.  MC is still the output device?  There was no MC output device before (your last screenshot confirmed this).  How is it still active if it didn't exist before?  I think it is just a language barrier, but the many minor inconsistencies in this statement, and others above, are confusing and make it hard to follow.  If you're not a native English speaker, I know it can be very difficult.  Try your best.

The JRiver Media Center 20 device you (now) see in the Windows Sound Control Panel is MC's brand new WDM driver.  This allows MC itself to act like a sound card, which lets MC process the audio from other external applications through the regular JRiver audio engine (enabling you to use things like MC's DSPs for audio played in your web browser, games, and other applications).

It was only just included in versions released in the last few days.  You didn't have it before, which is how I knew you weren't running the latest version.

Matt was telling you to turn it off.  It does not work when MC isn't running (at least in Library Server mode in the system tray).  You'd turn it off by setting your DAC as the default audio device (the one with the green checkmark).  For right now, you don't want this enabled, so make sure the one circled in the picture above is not enabled.

Can you tell me the setting under Tools > Options > Startup > Run on Windows Startup.

Also, do this:

1. Make sure your web browser is closed.
2. Ensure that MC's new WDM Driver is NOT set as the default device in Windows.
3. Try it again.  Open MC, close MC completely.
4. Open your web browser and play a video in YouTube.
5. Take a screenshot of the Sound control panel while YouTube playing.  

Then, if you can manage, look in the Windows Task Manager under Processes for a Media Center 20 process.  On Windows 8, if MC is closed to the System Tray (in Library Server mode) it should be listed under Background Processes, and if it is running normally, it should be listed at the top under Apps.  In older versions of Windows just switch to the Processes tab and sort by Name and look under "M".

If MC is really closed, it won't be listed at all.  If MC is open (either in Library Server mode, or perhaps stuck) then it will be listed.  That will be useful to know.

Also, I discovered recently that MC doesn't fully close if you:
1. Launch a Link from MC in a separate Web Browser
2. Then close MC.

As long as the web browser remains running, it keeps the Media Center 20.exe process running as well.  So, that's why I had you close your browser first, and then close it, and then open the browser.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:32:39 am »

Ive just set the DAC back to default device. Now everything is working perfectly?!

So odd. It must have been an issue with the previous version of J River. Nothing else on the computer has changed this morning - just installing 20.0.27

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 05:07:12 am »

Another update and the problem is back.

I cannot play youtube, or vimeo and things like that. I have ensured flash, Silverlight, java, are all up to date. I can see the movie loading as the bar progresses the whole way, but it stays on zero.

Embedded facebook videos behave the same way, although sometimes they will play for a bit (usually without sound) and then stop too after a few seconds. Occasionally YouTube and vimeo behave the same way.

All of these issues are sometimes solved by a reboot.

Whats going on?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 04:09:10 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »

If you have the JRiver WDM driver set to be the "default" (has the green checkmark) then you have to have MC running if you want to hear sounds from other programs outside of MC.
Are you trying to use YouTube or Vimeo from "outside" MC (meaning MC is closed)?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 05:46:03 pm »

do you mean in control panel sound setting? I have that set to my DAC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »

If you have the JRiver WDM driver set to be the "default" (has the green checkmark) then you have to have MC running if you want to hear sounds from other programs outside of MC.
The best way is probably to choose to "Run Media Server" on Windows Start.  That's set in the Startup section of options.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

Any idea whats going on?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 01:12:36 am »

Please try to explain better.  I think we're all confused.

Screenshots of the Windows Sound Control Panel may help.  Along with a screenshot of MC's Tools > Options > Audio panel.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 03:44:20 am »

I cannot put it any simpler than the fact that no video works on youtube following recent changes to JRiver. The videos load (the bar shows progress) but they do not play

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:36 am »

I cannot put it any simpler than

I don't want you to put it any simpler.  I want you to explain it much more thoroughly.

With an accounting of the settings I asked for.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 11:48:27 am »

OK. First thing, I am currently playing through JRiver and its working, but neither the windows mixer, nor the sound panel show any sound. Is that normal?

http://i61.tinypic.com/5488ky.jpg

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »

If you want help, please post the information requested. You have been asked several times. At some point people are going to get tired of asking and move on to help those that do.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 01:49:45 pm »

I am trying my best. Here is a shot of the jriver control panel

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zqyihw.jpg

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 12:18:38 am »

Can someone help I have provided all the information?

Arindelle

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:39 am »

Can someone help I have provided all the information?

If I may, it took me twenty minutes to try and find the information requested, and I think I did buried in separate screen shots. You are not getting responses, because all of this discussion leads one to believe

either:

1) there is a language problem
or
2) you have absolutely no clue about windows and have not read the main thread about the WDM driver and especially are not making an effort to learn
or
3) you are trolling, and this is just not cool

I prefer to think it is the 1st as you have adobe suite installed, so if you understand Premiere and Photoshop, you can understand JRiver and Windows. As an anglophone living in europe I know it can be very difficult thinking I understood and thought I made myself understood so I'll give this a go ..

I believe Glynor already gave you the solution.

I found this screen shot you posted which I annotated, thats why the quality is so poor

the circled driver is the WDM from JRiver which should have the green check, as you can see you have marked the benchmark as default just what Glynor told you not to do.

The WDM driver must be marked default if you want to use it. The output device in JRiver is your benchmark dac. Internal to JRiver your media will go directly to the Dac, external to JRiver ie You Tube, will be taken by the driver and avoiding windows passed through to JRiver directly to the Benchmark.

That should be it. The volume sliders in windows, if configured that way in JRiver, is normal. Run exclusively JRiver will block all sounds from external programs the way you have this set up.

Now when you get it to work, and later,  on a new update it doesn't ... PLEASE check that the WDM driver has not been unchecked as the default before posting again. This is an issue for some people, and they are working on it.

If you need automatic switching, start another post.

Hope this, the 30th try,  sorts the thread

EDITED: for my being an idiot

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:11 am »

Glynor above says DO NOT CHECK the jriver driver?

Since when has the advice been to control volume etc in jriver? Standard audiophile practice is send EVERYTHING to the DAC. Are you saying to use jriver now we have to do something else?

Thanks for your help

Arindelle

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

Look mate, we are I am having a major communication problem. Either use the new driver for your You Tube or don't use it. Volume settings have nothing to do with this discussion.

You are asking about standard audiophile practices with a source coming from You Tube, before even trying what I summarized ?!!

(which was already posted btw)

I tried. I'm done.

mods: lock this??

EDITED : again for same reason; not removing to leave continuity in thread

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 08:17:28 am »

I have no idea what you are talking about.

You don't change your driver depending on what you are doing, or do you?

I have always had it set to go straight to DAC, and that applies to everything coming out of the computer, whether it is j river or youtube. You are now suggesting you do not go straight to Dac but just the JRiver driver, why?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 08:19:10 am »

Im 90 percent sure this is a simple matter of, as posted above in one of the other replies:

"I ask because I have had a few instances where I suspect that Media Center did not release exclusive hold on my sound device which caused issues watching a video in my browser or an app without a reboot."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:56 am »

You apparently have told Windows to use MC as the default sound driver.  Don't do this.  Set it back to what it was before.

WDM (JRiver as the driver) can be a little hard to understand.  Just do not use it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 08:52:00 am »

You seem to have the correct settings:
1.  Benchmark DAC2 is the default driver in the Control Panel.
2.  Benchmark DAC2 is the Output Audio Device in JRiver.

Let me clarify a few things.
1.  An ASIO driver locks the output device so other programs can't use it. If you have JRiver open and a song paused, YouTube cannot output to your Benchmark. If JRiver is in a stopped state, then there shouldn't be a problem.
2.  JRiver recently started including its own sound driver which now shows up in the Windows Control Panel. If this gets set as default, then all sound is routed through JRiver for output. Some, like me, want this because I use JRiver's DSP for all my sound. Others, like you, may not want this since volume control is done at the DAC level. With the most recent builds, JRiver will not change your default device in Windows Control Panel so this won't be an issue going forward.

Please try the following:
1.  Reboot and play something in YouTube from a browser. If that works, then . . .
2.  Open JRiver, but don't play anything in JRiver. Play something in YouTube from a browser. If that works, then . . .
3.  Play something in JRiver. Stop playback. Play something in YouTube from a browser.

Let us know if these work or where you start having a problem.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58:31 am »

You apparently have told Windows to use MC as the default sound driver.  Don't do this.  Set it back to what it was before.

WDM (JRiver as the driver) can be a little hard to understand.  Just do not use it.
His screenshots show that he hasn't done this. The issue started before the JRiver driver was even installed on his system (see post #5). I think the new JRiver sound driver is a red herring in getting this solved.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 09:06:53 am »

I have a problem where if JRiver was open, at all, during the same boot I then cannot watch youtube - it just hangs, till the next reboot, where it will play provided I don't open JRiver.

Whats going on?

It seems that everyone trying to help you is focusing on the sound driver (JRiver's WDM driver) but your first post makes me believe your problem has nothing to do with the sound. In your second post, you said you could not move the mouse/cursor or get YouTube to respond.

If this is the case, I suspect something else is going wrong. I'm not a computer geek but I don't see how using the wrong sound driver would cause the YouTube program to not play. May be you could clarify - is YouTube playing smoothly but without sound? Or is YouTube hanging and unresponsive?

When was the last time both JRiver and YouTube worked together? Did YouTube stop working after a JRiver version upgrade - or some other change/event on your computer?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:32 am »

We're trying to eliminate the WDM driver to see what happens next.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »

Hi, so if I am understanding the problem correctly.....

DAC is Windows default audio device.
Start the computer, play YouTube, everything works OK.
Start JRiver, YouTube does not work correctly anymore, even outside of JRiver.
Need to reboot the computer for YouTube to work again.

This sounds to me like the audio device is getting locked out by JRiver, and it's never getting let go.  As a test, if you go into the JRiver audio options and set the audio device to "Windows default DirectSound", does that make any difference?

Arindelle

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 05:06:41 am »

@zenpmd

I am sorry. I should have taken longer to fully read the thread. I did not realize your issues pre-dated the installation of the new driver, and thought you just wanted to listen to You Tube. There have been many posts about this and I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Regardless, my replies  were inexcusable, not to mention totally off-the-wall in context. As a volunteer, should that be confusing, my outbursts in no way should reflect poorly on JRiver, nor the other members of the Beta team.

Please accept my apologies and any confusion this has caused.

(pm'd same in case you miss this)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 12:14:15 pm »

And now the problem has randomly resolved itself again...

So odd.

As further feedback that new driver which gets installed SHOULD NOT make itself default by default. Just did it on my HTPC. Very annoying

Kreylix

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:52 pm »

Hi, so if I am understanding the problem correctly.....

DAC is Windows default audio device.
Start the computer, play YouTube, everything works OK.
Start JRiver, YouTube does not work correctly anymore, even outside of JRiver.
Need to reboot the computer for YouTube to work again.

This sounds to me like the audio device is getting locked out by JRiver, and it's never getting let go.  As a test, if you go into the JRiver audio options and set the audio device to "Windows default DirectSound", does that make any difference?

I have this EXACT problem. (YouTube and iTunes won't play anymore. Steam games play but no sound.)

So, my setting is:  Options, Audio Devices, Device Settings, select AudioQuest DragonFly   [X] Open device for exclusive access

If I disable that, YouTube, iTunes, Steam sound work again. Media Center works until I close and reopen it. Then I got this error message:  (I would copy/paste it, but for Some Reason, JRiver has disabled copying.)
Something went from with Playback.
Details: Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI' using the format '44.1 kHz 2-ch'.
The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format.

Please use the Output Format tool in DSP Studio to convert to the mixing format listed below:
Sample Rate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 32

So, I find DSP Studio, Set the Sample Rate to 96000 Hz, Channels to 2, and nothing anywhere I can find allows you to set "Bits per sample: 32".

I save it, try it, same error message. I go back - I notice it doesn't save 96000 Hz. Set that again, retry, no. Retry, no. Now what?

Pages: [1]   Go Up