INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Digital Out  (Read 2286 times)

Chris (just Chris)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Digital Out
« on: February 01, 2002, 08:29:25 pm »

I got a nice turtle beach santa cruz, so I could pipe digital out to the stereo. The sound card works (but it drives me nuts hearing the Windows ME sounds coming from my big speakers), but MJ 8.183 won't play through it. It starts buffering and then gives the "Error in play back, check your settings" message box.

The digital out is through the versa-jack, and it does work for Windows' sounds. I did switch Windows to using the onboard sound device to avoid any conflict and that didn't help.

I know a few here have the Santa Cruz - is anyone using it for digital output?

Chris

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Digital Out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 04:11:20 am »

Upgrade to latest Version
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chris (just Chris)

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 05:38:41 am »

Hi KingSparta,

I upgraded to 8.196 and I get the same behavior: playing causes the Error Starting Playback error.

Chris

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2002, 06:28:06 am »

Clear your internet temporaries,your mediajukebox library.Run'import media"
Chose only the folders where you do not have your music.Click "avanced" chose all formats
You will get in your media library all the f... Windows sounds.Listen and delete FROM THE HARD DISC as well all that  you do not want get throught your speakers and jump everytime they blast.If you have some problems with MediaJukebox,use WindowsMediaPlayer to do it

Chris (just Chris)

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 06:55:46 am »

I think you have misunderstood me. The media library is fine and worked with my old sound card. I am trying to get the new sound card to work with digital outputs directly into my stereo's dvd digital in connection. Media Jukebox complains that something is wrong with the device. But, Windows ME uses the device just fine to play the various startup, shutdown, and click sounds.

Chris

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2002, 06:59:43 am »

No clue, I don't have one I have a Soundblaster Live Value

I know others have a Santa Cruz and has worked in the past.

>>Chris (just Chris)
is that like "Just Jack"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chris (just Chris)

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 07:08:41 am »

Hi KingSparta,

I don't know about Just Jack, it's just Chris because I couldn't think of anything cool sounding.

I saw that others were using the Santa Cruz, but I didn't see that they were using it for digital output. I'm going to try the analog output today (I've got to get a cable first).

Thanks,

Chris

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 07:31:50 am »

my post was only about this:
"But it drive me nuts hearing WindowsME sounds coming from my big speakers."
My computer is always plug to my stereo and all the Windows sound drove me nuts-and it is a very polite way to say things-So i did what i said on my first post

Chris (just Chris)

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2002, 09:03:01 am »

Further details - I tried analog out and it didn't work. I found a patch needed if you have multiple sound cards and it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Chris

rlaconte

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 02:44:36 am »

Chris,

Just to confirm--I switched my versa jack to digital out and plugged in my speakers.  No sound.  However, MJ works fine with my TBSC using the regular speaker jacks.  I'm currently using the latest version of MJ (whatever the number was that downloaded this morning) and the latest Santa Cruz driver.

Apparently, the versa jack output does not work with all brands of speakers.  Here's a quote from the SC Help pages:

"The digital output mode of the VersaJack provides a modified form of S/PDIF that is meant to connect to certain brands of Dolby Digital decoder/receivers and surround-sound speaker systems.
The Santa Cruz internal S/PDIF header may be used to connect an optional S/PDIF I/O Upgrade Daughterboard which adds the ability to perform S/PDIF transfers between the Santa Cruz and digital audio players/recorders such as MiniDisc players/recorders, DAT recorders and CD players/recorders. The S/PDIF I/O Upgrade provides both Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF connectors."

I didn't find any specification as to what the "certain brands" are.  You might want to contact Voyteura.

Ron

rlaconte

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 03:12:36 am »

I forgot to include two important pieces of information in my earlier message.  1.) I don't get any error messages from MJB when I use Digital Out on versa jack--just silence.  2.) I get exactly the same response from Windows Media Player and MusicMatch Jukebox.

The problem is in the sound card interface with the speakers, not with the software.  At least it is on my system.

Chris (just Chris)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 06:34:04 pm »

Okay, I tracked down some things. First, the MJ error message was correct. I had playback configured for 24 bits, which is not supported by the Santa Cruz.

This is digital output from the Santa Cruz into my home stereo DVD input. You cannot drive speakers with digital output, unless they are digital speakers.

Chris (just Chris)
Pages: [1]   Go Up