INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't close MC (old problem) - still a problem in 2015  (Read 977 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Can't close MC (old problem) - still a problem in 2015
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:57 pm »

History: I reported a while back that I was having problems closing MC. When I tried to exit MC (such as to do a version upgrade install) or if opened Tools>Options (to look at or change some setting) trying to close with the "Okay" button would result in a "Windows Program not responding" message. I would then have to open Task Manger and end the program. Task Manger would show MC using 25% of resources (sort of stuck there at 25%).

New issue: Now I'm finding that when I go to open MC (it's always running as Media Server) I will get a message that "MC is already running". And something about check to see if I have two versions open at the same time, etc.. ". I always end up having to go back into Task Manager to end the "Media Center 20" program.

I've learned to live with this - but now I want to try again to fix it. I will backup my library and then reinstall MC. My question is, is there anything in Registry (or elsewhere) that I need to remove to be sure to get a "clean" reinstall?

Can I delete everything, everywhere, (all files, folders, registry entries, etc.) except the actual (backup) Library zip file? I definitely don't want to lose my backup Library (unless the issue is in there somehow).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You're having some odd problems lately.  Is MC running under another user?

Did you install any "security" software?

Anything else unusual?  Third party plug-ins, etc.

CountryBumkin

Thanks for your quick response.
There is something weird going on with my system - but other than opening/closing MC, MC works fine. I'm sure it is not an MC bug (obviously not, since it works fine for everyone else), but hopefully the computer experts here can point me in the right direction.

1) The only security software is Windows Defender (the built-in/free MS program).
2) I'm on Win8.1 x64 UPDATE: now on Win10 with MC21
3) I am the only user. I have an admin password but I have Windows setup to not ask for it when I boot up.
4) The computer is only used for HTPC things (but there's a lot of other software on it) such as:"
MedioInfo, AnyDVD HD, ClownBD, CloneBD, Clone DVD, MakeMKV, Hauppauge Colossus capture program, my 3Ware RAID card hardware/software, nVidia driver, and maybe a few programs others related to hardware installed (USB3, TV Tuners, etc.).
4) I don't run any plugins.

If I can't fix this with a full-clean install, maybe a fresh upgrade to Win10 (in another month or two) will do the trick.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try unplugging any devices you can.

Look for devices in MC that are no longer there.  Handhelds, for instance.

Does the library have any files that are on network drives that don't exist?

CountryBumkin

Nothing like that. Probably caused by a bad Windows update. I'm not sure why I keep updating Windows (since I don't use it on-line) other than the "Get Movies & TV info" function.

The problem machine is my "Server" - so all the files are stored on this computer in a multi-drive RAID setup.
No other devices connected -except a couple of "hard-wired" Client machines.
It's really a pretty simple setup 99% used for ripped movies and recorded TV Shows (and mostly using all MC default settings).

I think a clean MC install will fix it up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up