INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering & interruptions during playback with MC20  (Read 1455 times)

audiotweak

• Recent member
Buffering & interruptions during playback with MC20
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:46:25 pm »

Hi;

I upgraded to MC20 due to the following problem...

While I was still using MC19, music would play and then stop (stutter, stutter... 15min later, sudden stop), I would check the display and it would say "buffering...".

I have a 500G SSD hard-drive and have 60G free, so it's not my system that is running out of memory, I also have 8G of RAM, use W8.1.
Under Device Manager, all devices are up to date.
Automatic Updates are off.
Firewall is off.

I initially thought when I ran out of space on my SSD that perhaps the remaining 6G I had may have caused this problem, but even after freeing 60G of my SSD, the problem persist.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Buffering & interruptions during playback with MC20
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:12:03 am »

It's not necessarily how fast your drive is, but how busy it is. Is your OS on the same disk? Perhaps a program is busy accessing the disk when you encounter the issue?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »

Your problem might or might not be related to your hard drive.  If might also be related to CPU activity.

You might fire up the Windows task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Task Manager) and look first at overall performance with the Performance Tab.  Start playing music and watch the performance graphs.  Do you see a jump in activity when the playback glitch occurs?

Now switch to the Processes Tab in Task Manager.  You can customize the columns displayed with the View/Select columns command.  CPU usage, I/O read and writes, page faults provide useful information. Click on one of the columns to sort the processes by that criteria.  Now start playing music and watch what is happening when you hear a glitch.

Note the button at the lower left corner of the Task Manager window: "Show processes from all users".  Click this and you will see the effect of system originated processes as well as those from the programs you started.

This tool gives you a way to see what's happening at the level of programs and system services.  Another tool, dpclat.exe looks at performance on the level of device drivers and deferred procedure call level.  Try Task manager first.

Dorsai

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »

I've also had that problem since upgrading to MC20. The exact same computer and settings as when I was running MC19, but now I keep getting that buffering issue. *Never* happened with MC19.

Benchmark Info:

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.565 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.362 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.129 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.685 seconds
Score: 2455

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.160 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.350 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.395 seconds
    Small renders... 1.183 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.839 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.494 seconds
Score: 6432

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.222 seconds
    Populate database... 1.007 seconds
    Save database... 0.123 seconds
    Reload database... 0.031 seconds
    Search database... 0.873 seconds
    Sort database... 0.857 seconds
    Group database... 0.613 seconds
Score: 5771

JRMark (version 20.0.22): 4886

Also, I've run Task manager while it is buffering and had:
    CPU Usage: 15%
    Physical memory: 21%

billwooden

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:31:16 pm »

i am running windows 8.1 64 bit and mc20, see my comments regarding not working for video
i think, generally, it has to do with ram more than anything, processor speed perhaps, depending on how
old it is, but see my thread, went through a lot to figure out it was a ram issue, mainly

AkapellaGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »

I've experienced stuttering sound playing mp3 files a couple of times since I've started using mc20, and I hadn't experienced it with mc19.

My setup is:
Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) with multiple disk drives hosts files, SQL server and virtual machines.
VM on that server running Windows 7 32 bit is running JRiver Media Server, serving mp3 files from a share on the host server.
Notebook running Windows 8.1 64 bit is running mc as the player using a dragonfly 1.2.
I'm generally running Process Explorer showing physical memory use and processor use, and neither the physical machines nor the virtual machine showed all physical memory used or processor saturation.

A little earlier this evening, I experienced stuttering when I was moving a large VM virtual disk file from the physical disk that has the VM virtual drive files to another server.  But when the files had finished moving the stuttering was still there.  I shut down mc20 on both machines and started mc19 on both.  No stuttering.  Shut down mc19 on both machines and went back to mc20.  Same mp3 files and no stuttering.

I'm willing to chalk this up to unusual disk and/or network activity, but I'd not experienced this stuttering with mc19.
Pages: [1]   Go Up