INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 20.0.17 stop to buffer when playing MKV HD  (Read 2445 times)

billwooden

• Recent member
JRiver 20.0.17 stop to buffer when playing MKV HD
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:38 am »

I have a NEW Windows 8.1 64-bit HP laptop, 2 Gig Ram, 2 Gig Nvidia, 2 terrabyte drive, and Intel I7 2.6 GHz processor
I believe totally sufficient to play videos
I have tried a direct HDMI output, which my laptop has
I have tried DLNA using our Samsung Smart TV
I have tried every switch I can think of in JRiver
And
it still STOPS
My JRiver works perfectly for music, controlled by JRemote on my iPhone, no prob.
Please, please help on the HD video issues

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 20.0.17 STOPS TO BUFFER WHEN PLAYING MKV HD
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

Are you converting videos or streaming them to the TV without conversion?

Check your CPU usage during playback. If it's at or near 100%, then your laptop is not fast enough to convert video in Media Center while streaming.
If CPU usage is low, then it's probably network speed.

billwooden

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »

ok
using an external blu-ray burner/reader (Buffalo), I first strip the protection off using AnyDVD HD, i believe
it makes a virtual image of it, not sure, but it works for 400+ Blu-rays/dvds i have tried, then I use HandBrake,
freeware, to rip to MKV, more or less uncompressed - i was, was using a Dell, solid state, with external 6 TB drive,
but found that the buffer got loaded up, so switched to this laptop - Hurt Locker is 16.5 gig, larger than my memory,
just been thinking about this, not tried, but Scarface is 14.5 gig, so will try that next - i turned off hardware acceleration,
and videoclock and went back to std red october - this time i will turn on hardware acceleration, videoclock, and red october HQ,
for my first pass at it, then will try a small file, the devil wears prada, at about 5 gig, to see if it is a RAM problem, for some
stupid reason i thought there was some switch i turned on in JRiver to bring the whole stupid file into memory, but for the life of
me i cant' find it
REALLY REALLY WANT TO SOLVE THIS FOR THE JRiver COMMUNITY - JRiver  is an insanely great platform, love, love the music,
and to have all of a person's video at the tip of the iphone fingers is going to be phenomenal
all the help the group can offer would be great
will post soon my findings on use of 16 gig RAM with a 14.5 gig MKV and a 5 gig MKV
thanks!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »

Under Options - Audio there is a Play files from memory instead of disc, but i don't believe there is one for video.

Do the files play on your laptop?
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver 20.0.17 stop to buffer when playing MKV HD
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

It could be limited by the connection.  Test a local file for comparison.

billwooden

• Recent member
Re: JRiver 20.0.17 stop to buffer when playing MKV HD
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:47:10 pm »

ok
sorry for the delay
hooked up the more powerful laptop, see above note, brought up the processor window, played a 14.5 gig ripped blu-ray
from my hardrive on the laptop
red october hq on; harware acclerate and video clock both on; yes in audio play file from memory was on;
running the program showed only about a 28% use of memory,
it played fine, no probs
ok
next played a 5 gig or so ripped blu-ray through the hdmi port to my samsung, everything worked fine, my iphone jremote
controlled everything fine

next will be via wireless/wifi using the samsung dlna compliant app on the tv
will let you know how that works

so, summary, if you are going to rip dvd/blu-rays and hope to play them on your tv, better make sure you have enough memory
to load the whole file, otherwise, you aint goin to like it too much

will post results of playing a 14.5 gig (my memory is 16 gig) file via wifi/dlna/tv app soon

final note, if you are going to hook up several tv's seems to me you had better figure on the largest video being played x number of tvs
times that file size in memory, just guessing on this but seems to make sense

billwooden

• Recent member
Re: JRiver 20.0.17 stop to buffer when playing MKV HD (Test of DLNA)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:28 am »

Tested a regular dvd with subtitles as default and played fine over wifi to samsung with dlna
anyone have any idea how to get subtitles to show using dlna on a samsung?

Tested a 7 gig file over wifi with my samsung dlna and it played fine (ram is 16 gig)

seems like all of my problems with playing ripped video using jriver have been a single issue of
not being able to bring the file into memory, causing buffering
Pages: [1]   Go Up