INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can The Sidecar db Be Refreshed or Reset?  (Read 1400 times)

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
Can The Sidecar db Be Refreshed or Reset?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:30 am »

After moving files of show episodes (usually to combine), often the Shows folders have multiple folders for the same series with multiple entries of the same episodes.  Also, after deleting duplicate episodes from the HD, the folder and episode ghosts remain.  Is there a way to force re-scan and update of show information to remove duplicates and ghosts?  That is without numerous arrow ups and arrow downs and confirmations of deleting manually?
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can The Sidecar db Be Refreshed or Reset?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:41:12 pm »

Can you explain in greater detail how you're doing what you're doing, because it isn't clear.

If you:

* Move files within MC using Rename, Move, and Copy Files it updates the database and doesn't create broken links.
* Have Auto-Import in the Background enabled with Fix Broken Links enabled, then it will automatically fix broken links for you.

You can also make a Smartlist that only shows broken links, if needed.

But, you mentioned both the Sidecars (which are used for metadata interchange, not the live display within MC) and the Database (MC's Library) which is unrelated to the sidecar files.  So... I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean sidecar files NOT created by MC (auxiliary files that "belong with" your media files) that's a different thing entirely.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

Can you explain in greater detail how you're doing what you're doing, because it isn't clear.

If you:

* Move files within MC using Rename, Move, and Copy Files it updates the database and doesn't create broken links.
* Have Auto-Import in the Background enabled with Fix Broken Links enabled, then it will automatically fix broken links for you.

You can also make a Smartlist that only shows broken links, if needed.

But, you mentioned both the Sidecars (which are used for metadata interchange, not the live display within MC) and the Database (MC's Library) which is unrelated to the sidecar files.  So... I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean sidecar files NOT created by MC (auxiliary files that "belong with" your media files) that's a different thing entirely.

Sure--and I am sorry if I understood some concepts incorrectly.  Here is a typical example.  Say I have a folder just for TV Shows.  I download "Matador 2014 S01E01" its folder and data are created and shown in Theater View.  (Now this next scenario happens occasionally with some shows--both current and old).  "Matador 2014 S01E02" is downloaded and instead of being placed in the original folder, a new folder is created for that episode.  In Theater View, I see two folders sometimes with one episode each and sometimes both folders with both episodes (the latter happened with "The Roosevelt's" and with Matador and others).  If I open the Matador folder and drag S01E02 into the first folder and delete the second folder, I still see both folders in Theater View until I use Theater View to Recycle them.  More oddly and before Recycling, the second (deleted) folder shows the episode and sometimes will actually play the file that used to be in it.  Sometimes I just get the error message that "something's gone wrong".

So....I'm thinking that there is a db somewhere that is not getting, or needs to be, refreshed to update Theater View.  Thank you for your reply.
Yours truly,

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

....so no ideas on this issue?

Sure--and I am sorry if I understood some concepts incorrectly.  Here is a typical example.  Say I have a folder just for TV Shows.  I download "Matador 2014 S01E01" its folder and data are created and shown in Theater View.  (Now this next scenario happens occasionally with some shows--both current and old).  "Matador 2014 S01E02" is downloaded and instead of being placed in the original folder, a new folder is created for that episode.  In Theater View, I see two folders sometimes with one episode each and sometimes both folders with both episodes (the latter happened with "The Roosevelt's" and with Matador and others).  If I open the Matador folder and drag S01E02 into the first folder and delete the second folder, I still see both folders in Theater View until I use Theater View to Recycle them.  More oddly and before Recycling, the second (deleted) folder shows the episode and sometimes will actually play the file that used to be in it.  Sometimes I just get the error message that "something's gone wrong".

So....I'm thinking that there is a db somewhere that is not getting, or needs to be, refreshed to update Theater View.  Thank you for your reply.
Yours truly,

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:58 am »

....so no ideas on this issue?

I just forgot to come back to it.  I'm a little busy right now, but I'll look later if no one else responds.

Don't always assume that no one knows when a post doesn't get replies right away.  It all depends on the exact timing of when you post things, who is on the forum then, who sees it, and whatnot.

If no one responds in a day or three, bump the thread.  If you do that a few times and still no response, then either:

(a) you explained yourself very poorly
(b) no one has any ideas, and probably, no one is very interested in doing the same thing

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Pages: [1]   Go Up