INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with Movie playback and high Bitrate  (Read 3151 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Issue with Movie playback and high Bitrate
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:55:44 am »

I noticed one of my movies would not play - it had audio skip and the picture was blinking on/off. After comparing this movie to others that played, I discovered the main difference was the Bitrate.
Next I sorted by Bitrate and found I could not play any movie with a high bit rate. I'm not sure when/how this happened since I was able to play these at one time. Somewhere a long the way these movies' bitrates changed.

I re-ripped the movies using MakeMKV and the bit rate is much lower now and play fine.

Any idea how this happened? Maybe the bitrate was always high and something else changed on my computer affecting playback of these movies.

here's what I'm seeing:
Movie -- The Horse Whisperer -- IFO -- Bit rate 172,640,862 won't play; Re-ripped to MKV now Bitrate 5074 -- Plays.
Movie -- UP -- IFO -- Bit rate 152,761,821 won't play ; Re-ripped to MKV now Bitrate 6894 -- Plays.
Movie -- Mission to Mars --- IFO -- Bitrate 119,059,319 won't play ; Re-ripped to MKV now Bitrate 4794 -- Plays.
Etc.

See list below. Bitrate is column 6.  i can play movies with Bitrates less than 40,000,000 (i.e. Chaos and up)

Last thing, I tried re-ripping the movie The Horse Whisperer to IFO (I use SlySoft "Clone DVD") for testing purposes, and it ripped with the same high bitrate (172,640,xxx) and it wouldn't play. Then I re-ripped to MKV and it plays (with lower bitrate). This is odd because CloneDVD is what I used to rip all my DVDs (in the early days) and they did play at one time. Now I only rip using MKV so I never noticed this Bitrate issue until yesterday.

Arindelle

Re: Issue with Movie playback and high Bitrate
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

I can't really help you at all  ;D But this is interesting to me as I'v just started using video in JRMCLooking at my videos as I have a mix, it seems sort of like the bit rates are quoted like flac files (ie they are variable)

On the other hand apparently blu ray disk  are maxed at 40mps which make sense as above that rate you can't play them back.

Quote from: 3wikipedia"
Bit rate
For users recording digital television programming, the recordable Blu-ray Disc standard's initial data rate of 36 Mbit/s is more than adequate to record high-definition broadcasts from any source (IPTV, cable/satellite, or terrestrial). BD Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 48 Mbit/s (for both audio and video data), and a maximum video bit rate of 40 Mbit/s. This compares to HD DVD movies, which have a maximum data transfer rate of 36 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 30.24 Mbit/s, and a maximum video bitrate of 29.4 Mbit/s.

I don't have any where near the bit rates you are showing, some are even less than 20Mb (these are old DVDs though and not HD.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:21 am »

The bitrates are obviously wrong, but they are just of an informative nature and not relevant for playback. I couldn't tell you why some IFO files fail, and some work properly. Sadly my collection of DVDs is rather limited.
IFO playback will usually use the Microsoft DVD Navigator, which we have no control over...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:40:34 am »

I did a rip with AnyDVD -> Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk which just does a 1:1 copy, and the bitrate shows up at 16790 (which seems wrong still, but at least not super high). Does Clone DVD modify the disc in any way?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:49 am »

I did a rip with AnyDVD -> Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk which just does a 1:1 copy, and the bitrate shows up at 16790 (which seems wrong still, but at least not super high). Does Clone DVD modify the disc in any way?

Hi Hendrik, not that I can teach you anything about video, but I've found that almost all my old dvds showing a bit rate in below 20 16.7 doesn't seem wrong to me.  The blu-ray rips vary from mid 20mbs when ripped to mkv and mid 30's for blu ray. I have a 3D (side by side) blu ray which is off the charts at 77mps and it still plays so I don't have any clue what that is about or maybe thats 38.5 x2 . My very small understanding for MKV rips is that they are 1:1 just in an mkv container but that may not be right  ;D 

but it removes menus and things and can split TV shows into episodes which is pretty nice ... 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:14 am »

You can calculate Bitrate quite easily, its (Filesize * 8) / Duration in Seconds, and the display value is in kbit. DVDs should be somewhere below 10mbit (10000 kbit) usually, and thats already dual-layer DVDs.
Obviously Blu-rays have much higher bitrates, as their disc size is also much higher.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:23 am »

When I use CloneDVD to rip DVDs I remove the menus, extras, etc., so it is "doing something" to the movie.
BTW - my IFOs play back through MadVR so I can see the stats on the screen.

I'll retest ripping another movie with CloneDVD and then with MakeMKV. The next movie in my collection with a high bit rate is "Chaos".

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:51 am »

I know that the DVD Navigator doesn't work properly on large volumes, ie. on a 4TB HDD which is one partition, the DVD Navigator may not be able to play it properly.
That wouldn't happen to be the case for you, would it? If yes, can you move one to a smaller partition (C drive maybe) and try again if that changes anything?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17:40 am »

I have twelve 1TB drives in a RAID5 setup on Server machine (no drives over 1TB). Everything is connected to Clients over hardwired network. I did not try playing from the Server.

What is odd is that I have played these rips before several times without a problem (on MC18 and MC19).

I'm on MC20 now - and this is the first time I tried to play these movies since upgrading. So maybe MC20 is doing something different, or maybe something in my computer has changed.

I'm re-ripping the movie "Chaos" now using CloneDVD to see what bitrate it gets.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:32 am »

I know that the DVD Navigator doesn't work properly on large volumes, ie. on a 4TB HDD which is one partition, the DVD Navigator may not be able to play it properly.
That wouldn't happen to be the case for you, would it? If yes, can you move one to a smaller partition (C drive maybe) and try again if that changes anything?

Hey Hendrik, I don't have any videos on 4tb drives, but I do have them on 3tb drives ... I have a few blue rays that I can't play, should I transfer them to a 2tb? is it the GUID formatting that make this problematic? thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:06 am »

This is only about DVDs using Microsofts DVD Navigator.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:17 am »

I re-ripped one DVD movie using SlySoft's CloneDVD. It is 4.8GB with a bitrate of 43,242,052. Then I ripped the same movie with MakeMKV; now it is 4.7GB with a bit rate of 6,389.
 In this case both versions play (my system can handle the higher bitrate). But this test confirms that Slysoft's rip is doing something different. I will post this information on the Slysoft forum and see what they have to say.

Is it possible for the bit rate to be correct (at 43,242,052) when ripped by CloneDVD?
- If yes, than MKV is removing information.
- If no, than CloneDVD is messing up the calculation (or adding data).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 10:10:59 am »

Thats a bitrate of 43 GBit, thats absolutely not correct.
Like I said, bitrate is simple: (Filesize * 8) / (Duration in seconds) -> Bitrate in bits, divide by 1000 for Kbit, the value MC shows. 6389 seems perfectly fine, thats 6Mbit, which makes the movie about ~100 minutes long (+/- a few)

Note that the bitrate code in MC is probably just not correct for DVDs right now, but I did fix that for the next build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:31 am »

Thanks for looking into this.

I guess there is a glitch in CloneDVD. I re-ripped "The Horse Whisperer" again with CloneDVD and it says (in JRiver) the bit rate is 155,795,127 ( lower than last time - but maybe I didn't select all the same audio streams).
However, I plan to use MakeMKV for all my future DVD rips (although I only buy Blu-rays now) so this is a non-issue for me.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 12:39:49 pm »

This is only about DVDs using Microsofts DVD Navigator.
ah ok thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up