INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Vinyl Ripper  (Read 3467 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Vinyl Ripper
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:00 am »

I would love the ability to record them so I don't always have to pull them out to play them. Or listen to them in the car or going mobile. No vinyl fan can deny digital has very clear advantages :D. MC can rip virtually anything digital. Recording vinyl can be easily automated, split into tracks automatically, apply a high pass filter and possibly even remove ticks and pops.

I've seen the request made before on the forums, but I also believe there is a potential for new users out there. Many use Audacity to manually record, amplify, filter, split and tag. There is no single integrated solution. MC could be the first to do it properly.

This was a great idea floated a few weeks ago in the Trends thread.

A feature like this could be of significant interest to a lot of current users. In addition, the feature would probably pay for itself quickly if the word got around the audiophile community that JRiver was the best and easiest way to make digital archives of your vinyl LP's. You guys would be the only "Secure Vinyl Ripper" in town!

I think for this to work you would need the following steps to the process, from IM's list above plus a few more:

-High quality audio path from soundcard to ripping engine
-Automated setting of recording levels (this is tricky)
-Full array of encoding options (wav flac mp3 etc)
-Access to DSP (to apply RIAA curve if necessary)
-Potential pops and click removal, plus other filters
-Automatic division into tracks (very important!)
-Metadata editing

Actually, combined with the Windows audio driver this could also open up JRiver as a digital Phono Preamp as well. Instead of buying three different phono preamps at huge cost, audiophiles could just have three different RIAA curve implementations in JRiver. PSAudio is having some success right now in this arena of digital/analog hybrid hardware, for example.

Thanks for considering this idea. I think there are a lot of big projects going on behind the scenes right now at JRiver, but this might dovetail nicely with the WDM driver plans.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRiver Vinyl Ripper
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:35 am »

Found this today after writing this post. Digital music archiving could be a growth market, especially with the tools JRiver has already in place (metadata editing, encoding options, etc.) to be the best available analogue audio ripper.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/13/6840233/music-archiving-disappearance-history

But conservators still worry that what they're doing now might become obsolete in the future. When artists were recording on vinyl, the medium seemed stable and high-quality. No one could have predicted the rise of computers and digital media, yet here we are. Music is being archived today as MP3s and Advanced Audio Coding in the smallest formats available. "There will be new systems, but there is too much digital info in the world. They will have to be able to be migrated," Place told me. The technologies used to record them are also being archived, in case they are needed later to replay an old file.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

Found this today after writing this post. Digital music archiving could be a growth market, especially with the tools JRiver has already in place (metadata editing, encoding options, etc.) to be the best available analogue audio ripper.

I do a lot of pro grade vinyl restoration - but to get a high quality "transfer" (lets say being comparable with CD) takes a whole lot more than simply recording an old LP into something like JRiver.

Just thinking of MC as a 'recorder" does not compute for me. This would change the entire vibe of the program as it would need to move into the editor world and so on.

I would probably start to get cranky about MC if it started to suddenly morph into anything more than the best media "player" available today. Would not want to get charged for that kind of function either.

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »

Off topic, but I want to put in a plug for Vinyl Studio - no association.  It handles both PCM and DSD and also has a database lookup for tracks and tags.  It will try to split tracks where the signal is low, but that does not always work, so i do it manually. With the timing from the track lookup the splitting is pretty simply.  It does click removal (PCM only) and also has RIAA equalization. It does not have all the options of Audacity, but I do not typically use anything other than click removal and the database lookup. The DSD option is very nice, but you need a clean recording since you cannot do click removal. You need professional software to do that well for DSD.  You can use MC to convert back and forth between PCM and DSD.

Like most software, it  takes a little getting used to, but after a few recordings it is pretty simple to use.  There is a free trial version and the full price is only $29.   

Of course, the final quality depends on the quality of the playback system and the A to D is a critical part of the process. Getting to MP3 quality is one thing, but reproducing a good vinyl rig is a lot harder and a lot more money.

I agree with VP that I do not see this function as part of MC. Some sort of integration with Vinyl Studio or some other package  might be a nice feature, but I would not go beyond that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up