INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need to watch 3D TVs/movies?  (Read 10134 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
What do I need to watch 3D TVs/movies?
« on: October 10, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »

I just bought a 3D capable TV (a Samsung PN64F8500. it's being delivered this Monday). Up to now I have not paid any attention to 3D movies.

So what do I need to do now to watch some 3D? I already have some 3d movies in my collection (Avatar, Star Trek,...). I just don't know how to play them.

Currently I don't have a 3D Blu-ray player. I usually rip my movies to m2ts format and watch through JRiver. I don't mind getting a 3D Blu-ray player if that's the easiest way to start off.

I saw a post about ripping to MKV (the new 3D extension) - if i do this, then what? Do I need a third-party player like PowerDVD?

What about this "stereoscopic player" at 3datv.at  is this a preferred solution?

Lastly I use an nVidia GTX750Ti video card which has some sort of 3D settings/function. Does this help in anyway?

I need some guidance in this area. Your help is much appreciated.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: What do I need to watch 3D TVs/movies?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:45:38 am »

I think an actual blu-ray player may be easiest and cheapest solution. Make sure have a 3D HDMI cable.
You can still have your 3D blu-rays in your MC library for 2D playback.

If you decide to try playback on your PC:

The first thing you have to do is setup 3D in the NVIDIA control panel.
It's under Stereoscopic 3D. First enable it then run the wizard.
It will give you a series of tests to make sure its working.
NVIDIA should work fine with your TV's glasses. Hopefully your TV came with some.

When you get that working you can actually watch something.
I would reluctantly recommend powerdvd for blu-rays. Kind of a best of the worst thing.
It's half off until the 15th so the price is about the same as an actual blu-ray player.
I'm not sure if it will play rips to a hard disc folder or if you have to mount iso's.
You can always start by just playing an actual disc.
I don't think the demo will play 3D content so I'm not sure how useful a demo is to you.
Oh yeah. A lot of 3D blu-rays have cinavia so you may need to have anydvd running in the background
if you are playing an iso.

Once you are able to watch a movie, be sure to set aside 10 minutes before each movie to allow you time to set everything up and get through the menus.

I have a 3D monitor so it's a little different than a TV. I use NVIDIA glasses.
Someone with a 3D tv can probably be a little more helpful.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:35:53 am »

Thanks for the advise.
I just ordered a "refurbished" Samsung 3D Blu-ray player from Amazon (under $50) to get me started.

I'll research this more in the near future. I saw some posts (Jmone) about using a script to switch MC to external software/player for 3D stuff. I think Fitbrit is into this as well.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:20:07 am »

I have some "half" 3Ds (side by side or over-under) ripped to MKV and they work pretty well on my similar but smaller Samsung -- not quite gold standard full 3D , but if you can get them ripped its not bad at all straight out of the box in JRiver. I know its not really what you are asking, but for info  :)

Z0001

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:38:15 am »

The script works really well. I used TMT6. But you could I'm sure modify it to run spectroscopic player instead. Tne movies are saved as iso files. When a 3d iso is selected in MC it shuts MC, launches the player you want and you can playback. Pressing STOP closes your player and reopens MC. It's excellent.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:07 am »

I have 3D Bluray player coming but I'm not sure if I will be able to feed the 3D signal through my "older" AVR (Onkyo 705) since the AVR is only HDMI 1.3 compliant. This is also my concern with HTPC (software) playback as my HTPC also feeds into the AVR then on to the TV.

I guess I'll find out in another day or so.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »

The Samsung BD player may have a dual HDMI output. This will allow you to connect one to your SR605 for audio only, and the other directly to your TV for video.

If you rip your 3D movies to half over/under (HOU) or half side-by-side (HSBS) mkv files, MC will see them as standard 2D movies at 1080p, and so will the Onkyo. Your TV will then be able to reassemble a 3D image from the file, either automatically, or with a menu selection to tell the TV which format it's receiving. The only downsides to these 'half' formats is resolution loss and MC's OSD/controls bar.

HOU maintains 1920 horizontal pixels, but reduces final vertical image to 540p.
HSBS maintains 1080p vertically, but displays 960 horizontally.

Not knowing whether the brain processes horizontal or vertical resolution with greater bias, I prefer HOU where possible, because fewer pixels overall are 'lost' (assuming a wider than 16:9 aspect ratio). For movies that I really care about, I play them in original format without using MC.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »

The Samsung BD player may have a dual HDMI output. This will allow you to connect one to your SR605 for audio only, and the other directly to your TV for video.

If you rip your 3D movies to half over/under (HOU) or half side-by-side (HSBS) mkv files, MC will see them as standard 2D movies at 1080p, and so will the Onkyo. Your TV will then be able to reassemble a 3D image from the file, either automatically, or with a menu selection to tell the TV which format it's receiving. The only downsides to these 'half' formats is resolution loss and MC's OSD/controls bar.

HOU maintains 1920 horizontal pixels, but reduces final vertical image to 540p.
HSBS maintains 1080p vertically, but displays 960 horizontally.

Not knowing whether the brain processes horizontal or vertical resolution with greater bias, I prefer HOU where possible, because fewer pixels overall are 'lost'. For movies that I really care about, I play them in original format without using MC.

Do I choose the way I want to rip it (HOU or HSBS) or do I need to select/find the method that is was used when the movie was created/filmed?

BTW - I just watched my first "test" 3D movie - "IMAX - Under the Sea". It was cool. I may be hooked.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:26:54 pm »

You choose the way you want.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »

BTW - I just watched my first "test" 3D movie - "IMAX - Under the Sea". It was cool. I may be hooked.

You're not the only one. That movie was cited again and again by users on AVSForum as the one thing that made them a believer in 3D. In fact one scene in particular, and I use this repeatedly to impress visitors: Potato Cod. You WILL know which fish I am talking about. :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:53 am »

Wasn't there supposed to be some new functionality in MC20 to differentiate between 3D and non-3D blu-rays in the File Types options, so that an external player could be launched if a 3D Blu-ray was detected?

Or was that just for the Matroska Video 3D (mk3d) files?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 08:26:28 am »

country,

i don't know if you tried this or would this, i own a 3d tv (for a couple of years now), my 3d player is Sony PS3... but i can watch any TV (or anything for that matter) in 3d and i was hooked after watching a Fox soccer game in 3d (and i don't watch soccer)..football is great, soccer is great, basketball is great, hockey not so great, baseball pretty good.  PS Avatar is the best 3d movie i have watched

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:36:20 am »

Wasn't there supposed to be some new functionality in MC20 to differentiate between 3D and non-3D blu-rays in the File Types options, so that an external player could be launched if a 3D Blu-ray was detected?

Or was that just for the Matroska Video 3D (mk3d) files?

Hi,

I requested the mk3d filetype be added originally and then requested that it be split into it's own type rather than share with mkv. What I do is use .mkv files with JR native playback and I rip my 3D blurays with makemkv and select the HD audio and MVC option in the file. Once the rip is completed I rename it to .mk3d so I can differentiate between the two types.

JR is configured to open Stereoscopic player which is configured to use Intel 3D (aka real full resolution via HDMI 1.4) when I select a .mk3d file.

My remote control is configured so when I press STOP when stereoscopic player is running it sends the Exit command. This closes stereoscopic player and returns me to JR.

John

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 10:06:45 am »

Hi,

I requested the mk3d filetype be added originally and then requested that it be split into it's own type rather than share with mkv. What I do is use .mkv files with JR native playback and I rip my 3D blurays with makemkv and select the HD audio and MVC option in the file. Once the rip is completed I rename it to .mk3d so I can differentiate between the two types.

JR is configured to open Stereoscopic player which is configured to use Intel 3D (aka real full resolution via HDMI 1.4) when I select a .mk3d file.

My remote control is configured so when I press STOP when stereoscopic player is running it sends the Exit command. This closes stereoscopic player and returns me to JR.

John

Thanks for the recap.
Can Stereoscopic player use LAV filters for DTS-HD MA and TrueHD? I'm trying to hold out on buying Stereoscopic Player, in the hopes that MC will one day show some official 3D love.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

Thanks for the recap.
Can Stereoscopic player use LAV filters for DTS-HD MA and TrueHD? I'm trying to hold out on buying Stereoscopic Player, in the hopes that MC will one day show some official 3D love.

Is this the player your referring to: http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx ?  I'm not sure if this is free or not  (EDIT: It costs 39 Euro). Someone at AVS suggesting looking into this. I'm still reviewing the site.

I don't want to buy PowerDVD14 just for 3D playback if there is a better/cheaper solution.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:17 am »

Thanks for the recap.

I was prompted to install FFDSHOW and in there it has DTS-HD and True-HD set to bitstream.

I'll grab a screenshot of my settings when I get home.

John.

rec head

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 11:05:42 am »

Well now that JRiver has released the new Windows driver I'm more interested in the switching application solution. Now they just need to automate it so I don't have to learn what a script is.

I really like 3D when done properly. I would say the most immersive movie watching experience was while watching Frozen 3D of all things. There is one scene that cut to rain. I was sitting on the couch with my feet outstretched in front of me on the ottoman. When the rain started I thought it was going to hit my legs.

Wull

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »

I've been, until recently, using TMT/PowerDVD to watch my 3D films with jRivers loopback. But I find if I use jRivers loopback with TMT for 3D films 'so I can utilise bass management' I get awful lip sync which differs from film to film. Play straight off TMT and no lip sync.

So for now I have decided not to use the loopback until I can find a solution. It kind of ruins a film for me stopping adjusting then starting at least twice to remove the lip sync. And the OH will not tolerate me messing around when she's there.

Come on JR, can we not just get 3D working???

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »

I've been, until recently, using TMT/PowerDVD to watch my 3D films with jRivers loopback. But I find if I use jRivers loopback with TMT for 3D films 'so I can utilise bass management' I get awful lip sync which differs from film to film. Play straight off TMT and no lip sync.

So for now I have decided not to use the loopback until I can find a solution. It kind of ruins a film for me stopping adjusting then starting at least twice to remove the lip sync. And the OH will not tolerate me messing around when she's there.

Come on JR, can we not just get 3D working???

See rec head's post above yours. Matt et al just released a new WDM driver, which does what the loopback function did, but does it much better. Sync issues can be virtually eliminated by adjusting a couple of settings as pointed out here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg637471#msg637471

I will also note that audio sync issues are a known problem in TMT in 3D movies.
I believe the only way we will see 100% problem-free 3D viewing/listening pleasure is when JRiver attacks the problem, as we've seen for many other things before. Until then, if ever, do not hold your breath. There are a number of challenges to overcome to achieve this in MC, and the team is not yet convinced that there is sufficient demand to make it worthwhile.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »

the team is not yet convinced that there is sufficient demand to make it worthwhile.

I think most people here would agree that certain individual, momentary things about 3D are cool.  It demos well, certainly.  Like this:

You're not the only one. That movie was cited again and again by users on AVSForum as the one thing that made them a believer in 3D. In fact one scene in particular, and I use this repeatedly to impress visitors: Potato Cod. You WILL know which fish I am talking about. :)

Yep.  I've seen that, and a ton of other impressive demos at trade shows before you could buy 3D TV sets in your houses.

Here's the rub:

* I agree there are cool demos.
* I don't agree that, for most "normals" (so NOT techie people who always check out the latest demos) the coolness is worth the decided NOT-COOL of the rest of the experience.
* Most movies aren't tech demos.  And if they were, you wouldn't want to watch them.

There are exceptions, of course.  Animated movies certainly translate to 3D quite well.  But for "regular movies", I feel it is almost always a marginal improvement at best, and 30% of the time it actually makes the movie worse.  And, then, on top of that you have:

* Wearing glasses is not cool.
* Not having enough glasses on hand for the people who show up to watch something with you is not cool.
* If they're active glasses, then it isn't cool that they're heavy and the batteries are dead because you haven't used it since last December.
* If they're active glasses, you have to have clear line-of-sight to the IR emitter on the TV.  So, a popcorn bucket or large beer misplaced breaks it.
* If they're passive glasses, the effect is probably terrible (I know they have some okay passive ones now, but the vast majority of them out there are crap).
* And, there's all sorts of other ands, ifs, and buts, around it (does your software support it? your receiver? etc, etc, etc).

And so on and so forth.  It is nowhere near over the threshold of coolness to make it worth dealing with the negatives for most "normals".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »

It is nowhere near over the threshold of coolness to make it worth dealing with the negatives for most "normals".

I disagree. My other half is definitely not a techie, but loves 3D TV at home on our TV. Especially animated movies. Not at the theatre.

Having the capability to watch 3D animated movies at home makes it worth the effort to get it working, even if we only watch a few such movies a year.

And, then, on top of that you have:

Some people have to wear glasses all the time. Most people make them a fashion item. Some women look far more sexy wearing a pair of glasses. That's cool.
* Not having enough glasses on hand for the people who show up to watch something with you is not cool.
This is true. It has happened once to us. Usually not a problem. We can still demo a 3D movie to friends when we want. Even our most die hard anti-3D mate now watches animation in 3D, and loves it. That's cool.
* If they're active glasses, then it isn't cool that they're heavy and the batteries are dead because you haven't used it since last December.
The Samsung active glasses are very light. We haven't changed the batteries yet in well over a year. The battery level indicator says the batteries are really low, but the 3D function still works. That's cool.
* If they're active glasses, you have to have clear line-of-sight to the IR emitter on the TV.  So, a popcorn bucket or large beer misplaced breaks it.
At home we have clear line of sight to out TV 3.5 metres away. I've never seem this breakup issue. I don't watch TV with a popcorn bucket, beer, or anything else in front of my eyes. But if you do, that's cool.
* If they're passive glasses, the effect is probably terrible (I know they have some okay passive ones now, but the vast majority of them out there are crap).
Passive glasses, at least every pair I've tried, are crap. That is partly why the theatre experience is crap. So we don't watch 3D movies with passive glasses. That's cool.
* And, there's all sorts of other ands, ifs, and buts, around it (does your software support it? your receiver? etc, etc, etc).
There aren't any ands, ifs, or buts. There are just opportunities to remove obstacles to enjoying a new media format. If it was done properly from the start, it would just work. But yes, people do need to buy equipment that supports 3D to enjoy 3D. That's cool as well.

3D TV is now part of the home media experience. Let's do it right.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 05:55:34 pm »

Hey, I get it.  To each their own.  However, I do think the market on this has largely already spoken, and 3DTV did not result in a massive wave of demand from consumers.  More of a meh.

But, like I said, I get it.

This though, I had to respond to...

Some people have to wear glasses all the time. Most people make them a fashion item. Some women look far more sexy wearing a pair of glasses. That's cool.

That is not, and you know it, the same thing at all.  3D glasses are not a fashion item unless you'd wear them outside your house when not doing 3D.  It is not a fashion item unless you want it before you know what it does (where any possible function is a minor consideration in evaluating the value proposition for the product).

Not only are none of them even close to this standard, I don't think they can be.  Despite it being somewhat "hipster chic" in some circumstances, everyone who goes through elementary school wearing glasses, at least in America, can tell you they Are Not Cool.  Yes, sometimes they can be for adults in some circumstances, but there is nothing cool about this:

And never will be.  Fun in a nerdy kind of way?  Sure.  VR Goggles becoming cool?  Maybe... I'd still say probably not, but in that case, the functional benefits may actually outweigh the negatives.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 06:43:51 pm »

glynor, I want to argue against every single one of your points, but darn your proviso about 'normals'. :)

I will return to say a bit more after I put the little one to bed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 07:06:32 pm »

I will return to say a bit more after I put the little one to bed.

Good.  I look forward to it.

I actually have more to say about the "normals" thing too, and perhaps not what you think, but I too have a little one.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

That is not, and you know it, the same thing at all.

Hey, don't take it so seriously Glynor. I was just responding to your "3D is not cool" position in the same style with my "3D is cool" position.

I understand that you get it. Yes, the glasses don't look cool when you see people wearing them. But what is cool is bubbles floating out of your TV screen and popping in front of your face. (Despicable Me II.)

The market may not have exploded for 3D TVs, but a hell of a lot of 3D TVs have been sold, and at some stage the buying public may try out this 3D thing, and then there will be a groundswell of demand, rather than an explosion. A tsunami can do just as much damage as a nuclear bomb!  :D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:21 pm »

Hey, don't take it so seriously Glynor.

I'm not mad.  ;)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:24 pm »

I think most people here would agree that certain individual, momentary things about 3D are cool.  It demos well, certainly.  Like this:

Yep.  I've seen that, and a ton of other impressive demos at trade shows before you could buy 3D TV sets in your houses.

Here's the rub:

* I agree there are cool demos.
* I don't agree that, for most "normals" (so NOT techie people who always check out the latest demos) the coolness is worth the decided NOT-COOL of the rest of the experience.
* Most movies aren't tech demos.  And if they were, you wouldn't want to watch them.

There are exceptions, of course.  Animated movies certainly translate to 3D quite well.  But for "regular movies", I feel it is almost always a marginal improvement at best, and 30% of the time it actually makes the movie worse.  And, then, on top of that you have:

* If they're active glasses, you have to have clear line-of-sight to the IR emitter on the TV.  So, a popcorn bucket or large beer misplaced breaks it.

And so on and so forth.  It is nowhere near over the threshold of coolness to make it worth dealing with the negatives for most "normals".

Firstly:
When I said that the MC team isn't convinced that there is sufficient demand, I did not mean it to sound like that there IS sufficient demand and that they just need to be persuaded. I recall a similar discussion a few years ago about supporting BluRay at all, too.

I must say that, although I am a big fan of 3D movies, I've only seen one in the theatres. It was ok, but the experience in my own home theatre is far more spectacular. Even then, I have seen maybe 20 movies, many of which I'd seen in 2D before. I must say that NONE of these were made worse by 3D. Rather, everyone agreed that it was close to an ultimate viewing experience, 10ft away from a 120" screen, 11.1 sound, with tactile transducers in the seats. That just highlights that I'm not one of the 'normals', but rather an outlier, though. However, in part, it's because I read reviews about movies before I get them, and choose carefully before buying. So far no 3D duds.

Other points:

* The glasses I have are pretty lightweight; nobody has complained yet. I do also have 2 larger pairs that can fit well over regular specs.
* Two of the pairs (the larger ones) I have, have rechargeable batteries. A 2 minute charge is sufficient for 2 hours' viewing.
* The other 6 pairs have batteries, and I bought 100 spare batteries for approx $10 shipped.
* My projector, and the post 2012 Samsung and Panasonic TVs use Bluetooth/RF for the glasses. No line of sight needed. These glasses can be found for $25 - $30 each on eBay. * Hence, I have 8 pairs altogether,  which is enough for almost any movie night.

I realise that all of the above is relevant to a small fraction of MC's user base, and again emphasises that I am more invested in the 3D experience than most 'normals' would be. However, the objections to your objections about the glasses do mostly hold up for the typical user. Active glasses using BT/RF have come a long way. You can, with some digging, discover which 3rd party glasses are compatible with your display. These can be lighter, and cheaper than the ones that come with the TV or projector you have. They can be charged quickly, or use cheap, replaceable batteries.

As for needing to be tech-savvy to get 3D working, that is true to a large extent. Right now, since I am not used to scripts, I have to go into the nVidia control panel and enable stereoscopic 3D manually. Then, I have find the iso file in MC, do a locate on disk (external). Next I have to close down MC, and launch the iso file. AnyDVD mounts the disc image. I then launch TMT and play the iso from there. Menus etc work perfectly in TMT.
If the movie is an HOU or HSBS mkv, I can just play it in MC, but then I have to go to the menu on my projector and manually tell it that it is receiving an HOU or HSBS signal. Now when I try to use the OSD in MC, things get really screwed up because it appears left and right twice or above and below twice. I can make it work though. I would love for MC to be able to read a 3D tag from the library and adjust the OSD to work in these modes, I must say.

So above, I've illustrated that 3D viewing on the HTPC is not without clunkiness. That's exactly why I am confident that if ever Matt et al attack this, they'll do it right, or quickly make it right with our help. They've proven that again and again. So much so, that I don't expect other media players to ever do it as well. Subtitle engine, BD playback, Red October, Carnac, Tagging on Import rules, TVDB and TMDB metadata scraping, are excellent examples of (mostly) video development in the past 4 years alone.

In summary, I know native MVC playback may never happen in MC. I really hope it will, though. No threats, no demands, no entitlement - just hopes and wishes.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 11:04:44 pm »

I'm not mad.  ;)

I know Glynor. Although there is angry mad, and there is crazy mad. I know you not one of those . . .

Anyway, if you can't support 3D Blu-rays yet, have a read of this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92571.0

Then get on over to VideoReDo and put in your vote of support, here: http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?34798-Could-VideoReDo-open-JRiver-Media-Center-JTV-TV-recording-files

;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 11:26:28 pm »

All of those things are fantastic points, fitbrit, which actually dovetails nicely into what I was going to say next.

My other half is definitely not a techie, but loves 3D TV at home on our TV.

This is what I wanted to go into, and all of fitbrit's and RoderickGI's points above fit completely into this theme as well.

While I have a (nice) 3D-capable TV (and receiver and the whole bit) we've never used these features on the TV aside from "playing with it for fun".  I only have the one set of active goggles from Panasonic, and I've never bought additional ones.  Actually, while playing with it, I discovered that my TV does have a pretty serious issue with the IR emitter on the TV not working right and the goggles losing sync when the TV's face (even only the bottom where the emitter is, or even the glasses) is in direct sunlight.

I'm the first to admit that using my fancy TV (which is plasma) in direct sunlight is a pretty crappy deal anyway.  However, that's how my house is shaped and that's where the TV needs to be, and I have south facing Windows.  We don't regularly watch TV during the day.  Quite infrequently, honestly.  But to a "normal" it is a deal-killer if it has weird "bugs" like this.  It "feels" broken (because it is).  They should have used RF.  But, I digress...

That is a big thing for acceptance.  And that brings me to the quote above.

My wife is no tech slouch.  She can (and does, sometimes) teach me a thing or three about Excel.  And she can manage multiple monitors with the best of them (I've taught her to love multiple monitors).  But, she's also in no danger of ever being recruited by the IT department at work.  She's no technophobe and not clueless at all, but she's no techie.  In other words, a "normal" by my definition.

She loves MC and Theater View.  Enthusiastically.  She would never in a million years want to go back to the regular way of watching TV (or even, shudder, use a cable company DVR) like an animal.

But the reason she appreciates this thing I've built, and can use it so effectively, is because I live here.  It's definitely not because I'm special or a man or whatever dumb things, and not because she's incapable (she is), but because she wouldn't do it.  It isn't in her realm of interest to get it all set up "just so".  And without it all set up "just so" then she certainly wouldn't use it, because it would be chaos and have nowhere near the level of usability that I've built.

So, she loves Theater View, but for her it is easy because I get everything set up "Just So" and prepare the experience (I don't drive it for her, but I do all of the setup and care and feeding behind the scenes).  If I were to get abducted by aliens tomorrow and she and my daughter were on their own, would she still use it?

I think she'd try.  But she has over 10 years of experience now, and she'd be starting with things as I've left them.  And I don't know how long she'd stick with it at all.

So, I'm sure your family and friends (everyone in this thread, or on this board, really) appreciate the experience at your house, because you're nerds like me and you've meticulously crafted the experience and made sure not to buy a TV that has cruddy goggles (or bought third party ones and maybe even tried a few or read nerdy forum posts about them).  You have seriously impressive hardware and a fine-tuned system for playback that is all hand picked by someone who is, at least compared to mortals, an AV expert.

Do I wish I could go listen to a system set up by mwillems?  Heck yes.  Would most "normals" be impressed by it too?  Heck yes!!  Maybe not to the same degree as another expert, but so much of how we experience these things is tied up in things other than the actual movie and the actual media, at those points.

Now... That brings us to whether it matters or not what "normals" would use.  JRiver certainly must consider less experienced and savvy users.  Selling exclusively to nerds like us on the forums is a nice dream, but we'd have to pay a much higher price.

That said, JRiver's Media Center is also an unapologetically premium product.  It is a $50 media player in a market dominated by free software and failed specialty products (like TMT and BeyondTV).  It isn't "enterprise class software" (thank god) and isn't in the "super-premium" or quite in the "pro" space.  But it also isn't just an iTunes for everyone else that hates Apple.  It is for people who want more.  Not just nerds, like us, which is a niche, but also not for everyone.  And that's okay.

So, considering that market, I think there is a very good argument to be made for implementing features just like 3D playback, because it appeals to customers who want a more premium product and experience.  The discussion is absolutely, 100%, completely worth having.  And it is worth having again from time to time, to check to see where the situation stands.

That said...

Everything is a tradeoff.  If JRiver had magical infinite resources, then yes, it would be a no-brainer to throw a huge pile of hours at the project.  But they don't, of course, so we're looking at what features do you do and what do you cut.  What can you get done, now, with what you have on hand, and where is the return on that investment.

I don't think it is there for 3D.  I think this because, among other things (like is discussed above)...

I am that nerd.  My whole family knows it, and extended family, and friends everywhere.  I'm "the guy" that you'd go to in my circle if you have trouble with your TV or any kind of av or computer need.  I'm the guy that you ask how to make your VCR stop blinking 12:00 (throwback nod).  I know, because it is included in all but the lowest end TVs now, that most of the people in this circle probably now have HDTVs with 3D features, and have in most cases for some time.  A whole bunch, but not all, of them have BluRay players.

No one has asked me how to do it.  At all.  No one.

It is one data point, but I don't think it is an irrelevant one.  3D isn't a complete failure in the home, but it sure as heck hasn't been the kind of success the industry hoped for.  If it were, we'd have 3D screens everywhere like we now have touchscreens everywhere (even places they don't make any kind of sense).  But, we don't.  TVs yes, but not computer monitors or phones or tablets or whatever.  The only major 3D device out there, other than TVs and theater systems, that has had substantial general-consumer penetration is the 3Ds, and that was glasses-free and most people I know who have one play it most of the time with the effect turned off (and only on for certain games).

So, it isn't irrelevant.  But is it more important than, say, BluRay menu support?  I'm not a fan of those either, but I think it is easy to say those are a much less niche feature, for something that probably requires a similar amount of developer time to implement.  Is it more important than handling streaming formats and "gardens" better?  Is it more important than the WDM driver?

I think it is clear where I fall on that spectrum.  If the "open source" community gets closer to being able to implement it more easily (so things like VLC also have easy-to-use support), then... Sure.  Probably worth it then because you can use their stuff.  If it does somehow reverse course and becomes an important checkbox for a Minimum Viable Product?  Sure, but I think we're pretty far from there (see basically all the other popular players, and the array of carcasses of licensed software BluRay players).

So, that's where I stand.  I'm not opposed to it, per-say.  But I'm pretty skeptical there's a ROI.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:58 am »

I agree with all of that, glynor.

The truth is that any typical iTunes user would be completely lost if just presented with MC instead, unless they were a rather patient type, anyway. Your wife is a great example of someone with lots of experience using MC, who'd probably not continue to use MC for long without you as you pointed out. So 3D support would fit in well with the advanced, money-paying crowd that MC caters to, just like you intimated. But then you had to go look a it from the developers' POV.  :'(

I will be very interested to see how the Ultra-D glasses-free 3D sets pan out next year. They convert to their own 3D format on the fly most effectively from what I gather. They can do so from a 2D input. I am just curious whether an MVC input signal can 'help' their algorithms decide what goes where. If not, then when I get an Ultra-D TV, all this will be moot. I think that I could play back anything in MC and let the TV do its magic - at least in my living room.
My front projector-based basement 3D home theatre would still require something that can present the projector with a frame packed signal. That may have to be Stereoscopic Player, depending on whether it can use LAV and bitstream ATMOS to a compatible AVR in a year or two.

Finally, I will say that while I am wishing and hoping, JRiver's ROI is irrelevant. :)
I'm not out of touch with reality, though, so I tell others to exhale without delay. Miracles do happen though; in addition to the examples I gave in my previous post, I recall a LOT of resistance to there ever being a Mac or Linux version just a few years ago. :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:18 am »

... or large beer misplaced breaks it.
Deal breaker.

rec head

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:01 am »

I have a question, since there is already a script that can launch an external player and return to MC after hitting stop would that be a hard feature to integrate? I have already spent a ton of time getting MC setup and don't really want to deal with this. I'm one of the less computer savvy people on the board (I still can't get access to MC from outside my LAN) but if users are already doing this then it doesn't sound like an enormous endeavor to add it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 06:49:59 am »

Deal breaker.

I know, amirite?

But more seriously... I have a 3 year old.  It has been some time since I've watched a something on my TV without some kind of obstruction in the way.  Sigh.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 06:59:49 am »

I have a question, since there is already a script that can launch an external player and return to MC after hitting stop would that be a hard feature to integrate? I have already spent a ton of time getting MC setup and don't really want to deal with this. I'm one of the less computer savvy people on the board (I still can't get access to MC from outside my LAN) but if users are already doing this then it doesn't sound like an enormous endeavor to add it.

I just want to watch 3D on my new set. I'm too old to be concerned with "cool". Please.  ::)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 07:04:02 am »

I just want to watch 3D on my new set. I'm too old to be concerned with "cool". Please.  ::)

Hey!! Those are like the 8 pairs of lightweight glasses that I have for my guests.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 07:07:07 am »

My new glasses are a real improvement.

What's not cool about glasses?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 08:49:23 pm »

But more seriously... I have a 3 year old.  It has been some time since I've watched a something on my TV without some kind of obstruction in the way.  Sigh.

Even more seriously, my Samsung 3D glasses use Bluetooth, not IR. You can waive your beer, popcorn, and kids around in front of you all you like, the glasses will still work. I don't know how you will see the screen though...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:44 pm »

Even more seriously, my Samsung 3D glasses use Bluetooth, not IR. You can waive your beer, popcorn, and kids around in front of you all you like, the glasses will still work. I don't know how you will see the screen though...

Bluetooth was too high latency to be used effectively when it originally came out, and has its own problems, but yes, this would have been a better choice.  And, yes, I know that there are better ones out there sometimes now.

But that comment, and the ones like it above, completely misses my point.

Most of them are still, today, IR, and they essentially all were just a few years ago.  And, for the record, mine is not some cruddy Sceptre from Newegg or Visio from Costco's Black Friday Sale.  It is a premium (and extremely well regarded) top-end Panasonic plasma from a few years ago.  Because I did research it heavily and bought exactly the one I wanted.  And, despite this, the 3D implementation leaves much to be desired, including this irritating (and common) issue.  But, even that is irrelevant.

Those kinds of frustrations are real for the "general populace" (and many others), which has a profound impact on the perception of the feature in the market.  Whether we, as nerds, can research and weigh pros and cons of products and settle for the one that has the least compromises (or compromises only in places we choose to ignore) is irrelevant.  Most people go to Best Buy or Costco and buy the one that looks good to them, they can afford, is on sale, or that the sales kid recommends (for a kickback, usually).  There's like three of us for every 350,000 of them.  Probably even less.

Those are the people who drive the widescale success or failure of a product like television technology, and make something a gimmick or a must-have feature.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 01:26:29 am »

But that comment, and the ones like it above, completely misses my point.

No, I didn't miss your point. But I think you missed the point that 3D Blu-ray is better now than it was, even a few years ago when you selected your TV.

As we all know, 3D was thrown out into the market as the saviour for all TV manufacturers, to keep their sales volumes up and their prices premium, just as 4K is being thrown out there now. It was pushed to market too fast. The marketing people drove the whole process. It didn't save all the incumbent manufacturers, and those that survived got better at doing what they do, dropped prices anyway, and provided better features. Product engineers finally got the time to make 3D work, and they did. Producers worked out what sort of shows benefit from 3D, and which don't. The 3D experience has improved, and it does not require anywhere near as much effort now, as long as you have recent equipment. My TV is a 2013 model Samsung.

Those are the people who drive the widescale success or failure of a product like television technology, and make something a gimmick or a must-have feature.
Drive the success of 3D they will, because now it works even in their cheap, discounted TVs, whether they want it or not. Or if not now, it will soon. Their kids will work out how to make it work at home, and insist on the 3D version of the lasted animated Blu-ray. Granted, the parents may not have bought 3D glasses, and they may or may not have been provided by the manufacturer or retailer in a promotion. But you know the salesman is going to upsell the buyers on the glasses, or will throw them in to close the deal, even though their TV cost $20 more than the deal across the road. Did you know the Samsung 3D glasses I use retail, full price, for just $29 each?

Just like Bluetooth 1 was horrible (what were they thinking?!), and Bluetooth 2 only just acceptable, Bluetooth 3 and above are quite good, with Bluetooth 4.0 finally delivering. 3D video is following the same path. No doubt it now cost cents to include in a TV, so it will probably stay. Therefore it will be used, even by the great unwashed mass of "Normals" out there. :D

Unless, of course, TV and Blu-ray player manufacturers or software companies that provide media playback functionality, say "it is all too hard, and nobody wants it anyway" and drop 3D or fail to support it.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943
Pages: [1]   Go Up