INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downmix/Upmix + Digital XO + Convolution + Room Correction  (Read 9020 times)

hurz

• Recent member
Downmix/Upmix + Digital XO + Convolution + Room Correction
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:39:34 am »

Hi everyone,

as a longtime XBMC and miniDSP user I'm pretty new to all the audio possibilities that JRiver MC offers and after combing throw several threads on individual parts of my requirements I'm still puzzled how I should best configure my planned and a little complicated setup.

I'm currently working on a DIY update of my whole audio gear to achieve the following setup:
Source: HTPC (a NUC) + 7.1 Soundcard/DAC (Asus Xonar U7) + 8-ch amp  (possibly a USBtoI2S interface and dedicated 8ch DAC in the future)
ext. Sources: TV/external device via soundcard input, possibly Foobar/Browser or other apps via loopback
Speakers: Front L/R + Rear L/R, with fully active 3-way Dipole/OB Fronts (20hz to 20Khz), so a 4.0 channel setup using an amped 8-ch output.

1) Regarding the output format I probably have to use 7.1 to make use of all outputs of my sound card?
So how/where would I best configure the Downmix of multichannel sources (5.1 / 7.1)?
As far as I can see, I could use the Room Correction plugin to do the correct bass management but for moving the Center to the Fronts and especially doing the digital XO (plus assigning the correct sound card outputs to Low/Mid/High) will I have to use the PEQ or can all this be done in Room Correction?
What about correctly Upmixing Stereo to 4.0? JRSS will introduce silent channels (e.g. for a subwoofer) that I'll have to overwrite with the XO setup?
Basically all bass should go to the low end of the Fronts, so LFE to both, bass end of the rears to respective front (though I can also keep the rears full-range).

2) To correct the speakers, especially the Fronts, I wanted to measure and correct each driver near field with REW, subsequently correct the whole speaker from a little distance and finally do an overall room correction at/around the listening spot.
I could specify a 8 ch convolution filter config to achieve the first (and possibly second) step, but how would I achieve an additional overall room correction?
Using an expensive software like Acourate or Audiolense would enable me to combine all individual filters step-by-step with an overall correction into one filter for each speaker or a multichannel WAV file, but can this be done using free software like REW or possibly DRC? Of course I could go the overall route fromt he beginning but I'd like to have a corrected active speaker first (similar to a regular passive one) in case I'll change postions or the like int he future.
The thread pinned to the top suggests this is possible (at least for one speaker at a time?) when combining the individual corrections in HOLM? JRiver by itself cannot apply mutiple filter-WAVs to the same channel, right?

3) What is the correct order for the plugins in the end?
Bass management and downmix/upmix of the input should probably come first, so I would move Room Correction up the list?
What about the speaker distance? Is it better to configure it per speaker or per driver (output)?
The latter is preferable from a time- and phase-alignment standpoint but this could also be accounted for in the filters themselves.

4) What about convolution/XO of external sources? For things played by MC or through the loopback method, everything should work as set up.
I can also play back the input of my soundcard, but in this case, and also for the loopback sources, the neccessary video delay cannot be taken care of, right?
So I'd have to set up a "TV" and "external" zone that takes the sound from the input or loopback and uses minimal phase corrections (maybe just through PEQ) to achieve minimal delay with video?

5) If I want to be able to quickly switch to a headphone output (I think the Xonar uses the front channels for this) I best setup a dedicated zone without XO/convolution etc. and just downmixing to stereo?

My current approach to above topics would be to enable 7.1 output, do mixing/bass management and XO in the PEQ and use individual filters in convolution.
Different setups (external Sources, Headphone output, etc.) via other zones.
But maybe there is a better and less error-prone way? Especially regarding correct mixing and bass management?

I'm sorry if all those questions are answered somewhere already but I could only find individual setups/solutions regarding either mixing+XO or multichannel-convolution etc. but not all of those combined correctly.
As the whole setup is pretty much 50% music 50% home theater, things like bass management and correct channel mixing/routing are really important to me vs. a simple Stereo-XO approach that would be sufficient for music (although I like 5.1 music too).

If Acourate is the way to go I might bite the bullet and buy it, but as JRiver offers a solution to all of the above I'd like to at least avoid external convolvers, XO software and the like that would even more overcomplicate things.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Downmix/Upmix + Digital XO + Convolution + Room Correction
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:04 am »

acourate can certainly handle all of that which reduces the entire configuration down to a convolver cfg file and appropriate filters created by acourate. Of course, acourate is not exactly easy to use at first so I'm not saying this is a trivial job but it's certainly capable of doing all you need. I think you have a good handle on how to do it in jriver though too given your questions.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:17:23 am »

I run bi-amped mains and JRiver is my crossover; I also wrote the sticky on speaker correction at the top of this subforum  ;D

Here are some tips on how to do what you want in JRiver:

1) Regarding the output format I probably have to use 7.1 to make use of all outputs of my sound card?
So how/where would I best configure the Downmix of multichannel sources (5.1 / 7.1)?

Normally the way to handle downmixing is to look in JRiver's output format module and use one of the "x channels in a 7.1 container" options.  The first number is the downmix target, the second number is the total number of channels available to work with.  There isn't currently a "4 channel in a 7.1 container" option, though, so I'd recommend using "5.1 in a 7.1 channel container," but you'll need to do a little custom downmixing from there. At that point, you'd have the rear and side channels already downmixed correctly, so you'd just need to mix in the center and LFE into the fronts in PEQ.  Given that you only want the LFE in the fronts, that's actually a bonus not a detriment. This config would also potentially capture your upmixing needs as well (all audio would be mixed to 5.1 by JRiver, and then custom downmixed to 4 channel by PEQ).

As far as I can see, I could use the Room Correction plugin to do the correct bass management but for moving the Center to the Fronts and especially doing the digital XO (plus assigning the correct sound card outputs to Low/Mid/High) will I have to use the PEQ or can all this be done in Room Correction?
What about correctly Upmixing Stereo to 4.0? JRSS will introduce silent channels (e.g. for a subwoofer) that I'll have to overwrite with the XO setup?
Basically all bass should go to the low end of the Fronts, so LFE to both, bass end of the rears to respective front (though I can also keep the rears full-range).

As between the two, you will need to do most of your routing in PEQ, not room correction; room correction offers no way for you to split out, say, your HF from your midrange, you need to do that in PEQ. It's pretty intuitive using the filter options under "mix channels," basically you'd add LFE and center to left and right with appropriate reductions in gain, then copy front left and front right to the blank channels, and apply your crossovers from there.  The only thing you might want to use Room Correction for is to redirect the rear/side channel bass to the fronts, but you mentioned that wasn't a super high priority.  If you have any specific questions about putting together a filter bank, I'm happy to help.

2) To correct the speakers, especially the Fronts, I wanted to measure and correct each driver near field with REW, subsequently correct the whole speaker from a little distance and finally do an overall room correction at/around the listening spot.
I could specify a 8 ch convolution filter config to achieve the first (and possibly second) step, but how would I achieve an additional overall room correction?
Using an expensive software like Acourate or Audiolense would enable me to combine all individual filters step-by-step with an overall correction into one filter for each speaker or a multichannel WAV file, but can this be done using free software like REW or possibly DRC? Of course I could go the overall route fromt he beginning but I'd like to have a corrected active speaker first (similar to a regular passive one) in case I'll change postions or the like int he future.
The thread pinned to the top suggests this is possible (at least for one speaker at a time?) when combining the individual corrections in HOLM? JRiver by itself cannot apply mutiple filter-WAVs to the same channel, right?

I wrote the sticky thread at the top, and the secret (in my opinion) is to do most of the speaker correction in PEQ and then only use convolution for phase fixing/room correction at the end.  JRiver can (using the convolution config file system) apply multiple different convolution filters to different channels; I'm not sure if it can apply multiple convolution filters to the same channel (I've never tried, but that's because I'm not sure it would work)  

If you want to do speaker correction separately from room correction, the stickied thread tells you more or less exactly how I would suggest doing it.  The only difference when working on an active speaker is that you should treat each element (at first) as though it were an entirely separate speaker.  Take the three measurements described in the guide for each stage, but don't try to stich them together in Holm.  Use REW to generate the filters needed to get each stage flat in the frequency band of interest, copy those filters into JRiver's PEQ, and then work out your crossovers.

So for example, with my speakers I measured the LF section at 3 inches, 12 inches and 1 meter in Holm, exported the measurements to REW as described in the guide, averaged them, auto-calculated the EQ to get them flat from 30Hz to 1000Hz, and then copied the filters into JRiver's PEQ.  Then I did the same thing for the HF stage.  Once they were both flat in their pass bands (and a little beyond), only then did I start taking "whole speaker" measurements to work out my crossovers and delay settings.  Then, I took another whole system measurement in Holm at 1 meter and used that to figure out what kind of phase correction I might need, etc.  Doing it that way makes getting the crossovers aligned much easier, and results in flatter overall system response.

3) What is the correct order for the plugins in the end?
Bass management and downmix/upmix of the input should probably come first, so I would move Room Correction up the list?
What about the speaker distance? Is it better to configure it per speaker or per driver (output)?
The latter is preferable from a time- and phase-alignment standpoint but this could also be accounted for in the filters themselves.

The order of operations is going to depend on whether you use convolution or PEQ for channel routing, but channel routing should come first; everything else can happen in almost any order.  If you're going to be measuring the system anyway, I'd recommend setting delay in PEQ (or in convolution), rather than using distance in Room correction (which is a coarse adjustment).  

4) What about convolution/XO of external sources? For things played by MC or through the loopback method, everything should work as set up.
I can also play back the input of my soundcard, but in this case, and also for the loopback sources, the neccessary video delay cannot be taken care of, right?
So I'd have to set up a "TV" and "external" zone that takes the sound from the input or loopback and uses minimal phase corrections (maybe just through PEQ) to achieve minimal delay with video?

Yes, PEQ processing is more than fast enough for av sync if you're routing audio back through loopback or JRiver's new WDM driver.  Convolution filters (unless very short) may or may not fast enough for that.  That's one advantage of doing everything possible in PEQ and then only using convolution for things which require convolution (i.e. phase correction).

I use my active XO speakers for web video, video games, for any kind of audio you can get out of a computer.  If my system required convolution to function, that would be harder to manage with some of my hardware (I would have to either give up optimal correction or acceptable lipsync).

5) If I want to be able to quickly switch to a headphone output (I think the Xonar uses the front channels for this) I best setup a dedicated zone without XO/convolution etc. and just downmixing to stereo?

Yep, I have a separate zone for headphones, that's the easy answer.

My current approach to above topics would be to enable 7.1 output, do mixing/bass management and XO in the PEQ and use individual filters in convolution.
Different setups (external Sources, Headphone output, etc.) via other zones.
But maybe there is a better and less error-prone way? Especially regarding correct mixing and bass management?

Your approach is (given your system goals) a good approach; my advice would be to try and push as much of the correction as you can into PEQ (and out of convolution) for the reasons outlined above, but that is definitely more labor intensive so I understand if you'd prefer a more convolution-focused approach.  If you're using REW, that makes things easier as REW will tell you exactly what filters compose it's convolution filters, so it's easy to migrate them to PEQ.

On the mixing issue, unfortunately there isn't a 4 channel in a 7.1 channel container option, so there is no less "error prone" way to do the down/upmixing (JRiver's built in mixing is very good). You'll need to do your own mixing at least to some extent.  As noted above, the 5.1 in a 7.1 container setting will at least reduce the difficulty somewhat by handling the Rear and Side channel downmixing for you.

I'm sorry if all those questions are answered somewhere already but I could only find individual setups/solutions regarding either mixing+XO or multichannel-convolution etc. but not all of those combined correctly.
As the whole setup is pretty much 50% music 50% home theater, things like bass management and correct channel mixing/routing are really important to me vs. a simple Stereo-XO approach that would be sufficient for music (although I like 5.1 music too).

If Acourate is the way to go I might bite the bullet and buy it, but as JRiver offers a solution to all of the above I'd like to at least avoid external convolvers, XO software and the like that would even more overcomplicate things.

I don't have too much personal experience with Acourate; as mattkhan said, it may fit your bill perfectly.  That said, I think everything you want can be achieved using JRiver and freeware, it'll just take some effort to get it right.  

I spent quite a lot of time getting my own DIY active setup configured in JRiver, and there's no reason you should have to work it all out by trial and error.  These issues are not perfectly covered on the forum, and I've been meaning to write a guide to active crossovers in JRiver, but got sidetracked by life.  

Point being, don't feel as though you need to work through all of this on your own, I'm happy to answer any questions you have.  Just post 'em here.  Active XOs can be a daunting process and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to learn from our collective trial and error  ;D

hurz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:10 am »

Wow, thanks for the very comprehensive answer.
I'd actually prefer doing most of what I need in PEQ (as I have done so far with miniDSP) as that's somehow more intuative than the math behind convolution (signal processing was never my strength anyway in the university ;)).

Two points remain a little unclear after reading your post:

1) If I mix LFE to the Fronts in the PEQ, will I have to raise it by 10dB first (or attenuate all other channels by 10 dB) as a correct bass management would do?
Likewise I will have to attenuate the center by 3dB if I copy it to both Fronts right?
The unused rear backs are already dealt with in the 5.1 downmix and their channels could be used e.g. for the front tweeters.
If I do the above, what would happen to Stereo sources? If I let JRSS upmix to 5.1, it basically creates a LFE from the two channels that will later be mixed into the Fronts again (seems redundant).
So it's probably less problematic not to upmix at all...   a 4.0 in 7.1 container would be best of course.

2) IF I use at least some convolution for room correction, it would be easier to do this in 4.0, meaning per speaker.
After the XO, the measurement program couldn't tell anyway which individual drivers are present.
So I'd have to place the convolution plugin with a correct 4.0 cfg BEFORE the PEQ in the plugins list?
Otherwise I'd have to somehow split the correction filters into three frequency bands and do an 8ch correction, which seems unneccessarily complicated (as I could then just do the XO in the filters anyway).
In case I have convolution before the PEQ, I will HAVE to set distance in the PEQ (not in convolution) to avoid interferences (by different phase) while downmixing, right?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:37 am »

1) If I mix LFE to the Fronts in the PEQ, will I have to raise it by 10dB first (or attenuate all other channels by 10 dB) as a correct bass management would do?
Likewise I will have to attenuate the center by 3dB if I copy it to both Fronts right?

Sort of; you'll want to effectively increase the LFE by 10dB, but you don't want to just add 10dB to the signal as it will a) cause clipping and b) be too loud because you're playing it through two speakers instead of one.  Playing a perfectly correlated signal from two sources sums +6dB, so if you copy it to both fronts you only need a 4dB adjustment.  The way to fix that is probably to reduce the other channels by -4dB first. As for the center, it's a matter of taste, but -3dB is the standard downmix, even though it will probably sum louder than it was in the original mix; my personal experiencee is that the center is usually a little quiet in the original mix, so a little "free" boost there is probably fine.  Realistically you might want to reduce all the channels a few more dB to prevent clipping from sound summing. Check out this thread for some perspectives: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88562.0

The unused rear backs are already dealt with in the 5.1 downmix and their channels could be used e.g. for the front tweeters.
If I do the above, what would happen to Stereo sources? If I let JRSS upmix to 5.1, it basically creates a LFE from the two channels that will later be mixed into the Fronts again (seems redundant).

MC sub mixing is special; if you don't use bass redirection in the room correction module, and set the JRSS sub to "Silent," my understanding is that the 5.1 sub channel will effectively just have the LFE in it.  You can test and see if that's correct, but my understanding is that it doesn't "take" the bass from any downmixed channels in that configuration.

So it's probably less problematic not to upmix at all...   a 4.0 in 7.1 container would be best of course.

I don't personally care for upmixing, but you can try a few different configurations and see.  You can use zoneswitch to automatically route 2 channel and multichannel sources to different zones with different settings if you decided you want downmixing and not upmixing.

2) IF I use at least some convolution for room correction, it would be easier to do this in 4.0, meaning per speaker.
After the XO, the measurement program couldn't tell anyway which individual drivers are present.
So I'd have to place the convolution plugin with a correct 4.0 cfg BEFORE the PEQ in the plugins list?
Otherwise I'd have to somehow split the correction filters into three frequency bands and do an 8ch correction, which seems unneccessarily complicated (as I could then just do the XO in the filters anyway).

This is how I personally do my convolution for phase correction.  My main bi-amped system is effectively a 2.1 system, and I have a filter that convolves the Left, Right, and LFE signals before the main PEQ.  However, you have a special situation because you'll be doing some downmixing in PEQ and you want that done before the convolution happens. The good news is things like this are why JRiver offers two PEQ banks (so you can position PEQ on either side of another process).  What I'd advise you to do is do all of your channel up or downmixing in PEQ1, then run convolution "per speaker," then do all of your additional channel mixing, crossovers, and parametrics in PEQ2.

In case I have convolution before the PEQ, I will HAVE to set distance in the PEQ (not in convolution) to avoid interferences (by different phase) while downmixing, right?

Doing it the way I described should allow you to do delay whereever you want to; I find it easier to do it in PEQ because you change it on the fly while actually measuring which allows for some nice delay fine tuning options (using an RTA for example).

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Downmix/Upmix + Digital XO + Convolution + Room Correction
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »

hurz - thanks for asking these questions. There were a few things I wasn't clear on that I think I get now.....

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:15:04 am »

And I add my thank you to mwillems for taking the time to provide those great detailed answers. 
That certainly will help me for when I will finally have time to implement my second subwoofer  ;)

hurz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »

So it took me some time to finally do this but I've completed my DIY 8ch amp + HTPC and now I'm running JRiver with above configuration (just 2way active Fronts for now, soon to be upgraded to 3way).

I attached my filter chain in PEQ to this post. I'm basically doing:
- reduce all channels but LFE by 6dB (to gain headroom for later)
- move Center to Left & Right with 3dB attenuation
- add LFE to Left&Right +4dB (so I have the desired +10dB boost to LFE in total)
- Downmix Back-Surrounds into Side-Surrounds
- Copy Left to Center (the designated Left Midrange)
- Copy Left to Rear-Left (the designated Left High for the 3waya active later)
- Copy Right to LFE (the designated Right Midrange)
- Copy Right to Rear Right (the designated Right High for the 3way active later)
- Low-pass left&right at 100Hz (the two bass extensions)
- High-pass Center&Sub (the midrange)
- LATER: make Center&Sub true midrange via a bandpass and add high-pass to the Rear-Surrounds for the tweeters

So this is basically working, the channels of all input files are correctly distributed and so on, but I'm having an annoying phenomena that I can't quite explain:
The created phantom center between Left&Right does not give me a proper center image. Instead the sound, e.g. speech from persons in front of the camera in movies, wanders between left/center/right all the time. It sound like there are some phase problems or the like.

To rule out any hardware-based problems I rebuild basically the same channel distribution in an ffdshow matrix (see attachment) and using a player like MPC-HC I DO NOT get this weird sounding center but a proper down mix.
To make things even weirder, I also do not have these problems when listening to audio only in JRiver.
The singer/instruments/whatever in the center stay there and do not exhibit the weird movement I get with all video files.
Even if I play back a video with Stereo-Sound (2.0) I still get the same phenomena.

Do you guys think there is a problem in my filter chain? But why would it work properly with audio only then?
I also tried different levels of center attenuation (some say -6dB works better) but there's no difference, also when applying -3dB to the Center and then copying it over to left&right.

Finally, I also tried a different approach: Downmixing to 2.0 (in Output) and copying Left&Right to Center&LFE and doing the same low/high-passes. So basically a 2way-Stereo config. I STILL get the same weird wandering phantom center... so it seems the standard down mix logic is also affected by this.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
It sound like there is some phase shifting introduced or the copying of channels cancels something out.
But I can't believe it's a general problem in JRiver as probably a lot of people successfully down mix movie sound with JRiver.

BTW: I'm currently using the ASIO driver output. I also tried with DirectSound (same result) and WASAPI (exhibiting weird crackling artifacts, haven't investigated further).

EDIT:
WOW, just when i thought I tried EVERYTHING, I think I found the culprit: It was the video sync option.
It seems turning it off has solved this problem, but that means that the audio (pitch?) correction is not correctly applied to all channels or why do I get this weird behavior when I have it activated? It shouldn't even be doing anything, as audio/video clocks are very closely aligned (proper 24p).
I think I can easily live without it though (as my HTPC, TV and projector all do proper 23.976 fps and interlaced formats) but it still seems weird.
If I can help to solve this in any way, let me know!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:55:05 pm »

You may have just solved an enduring mystery that another user had a year ago that was never really resolved: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87945

He had the exact same symptoms as you:  everything worked, but he had a floating center only with video content but not with stereo music.  You can see in that thread that we all spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out what on earth was going on.  No one ever though to make the link to videoclock!  Obviously if you vary the timing of the audio signal the resulting frequency and phase change is going to affect imaging.  

Even if you speed everything up by the same amount, it will have the effect of moving your crossovers up or down in frequency and changing the phase interaction.  Now I think that videoclock attempts to change the speed without changing pitch, but even in that case the phase relationships would not necessarily be preserved (in fac tthe pitch correction may introduce additional phase rotation). If that's the case it would lead to partial cancellations/lobing/etc.  Which is to say: a floating image.

It's also the sort of thing that would affect different systems differently (depending on how much videoclock engages and how your driver behaves beyond the crossover points), which may explain why many folks who bi-amp (myself included) never experienced the issue.  I use convolution to create a linear phase crossover and my drivers are flat half an octave past the crossover point, so i could have quite a bit of drift before it would affect my image.

I'm not sure what the solution could be; it's hard to change phase without adding delay (although Matt may be able to think of an answer).  Hopefully the devs can come up with something.

Regardless, congrats on some really super detective work!  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:17:31 am »

Added a note about VideoClock to our convolution wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:58 am »

That's a good idea.  I think it would also potentially be a problem for anyone doing active crossovers without convolution too, but I'm not sure there's a good place to put that in the wiki (do we even have an active crossover wiki page?  Maybe I should work on one).

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

The note says turn off videoclock when using convolution full stop. Is that correct or is the message more nuanced than that? ie what are the conditions under which one could expect to experience a problem?

It contradicts this wiki entry BTW - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock - which says all features include convolution are available (well, sort of contradicts)

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 01:22:33 pm »

In my mind Convolution and videoclock must be a no go and contradiction in terms if a/v sync is applied upstream, since your convolution filter has a fixed sample rate while a videoclocked audio stream doesn't.

I realized this after a quite strange and almost nauseous evening with Toy Story 3 a few years back. Audio was really fluid and acid trip like (or so I imagine)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 01:32:29 pm »

The note says turn off videoclock when using convolution full stop. Is that correct or is the message more nuanced than that? ie what are the conditions under which one could expect to experience a problem?

It contradicts this wiki entry BTW - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock - which says all features include convolution are available (well, sort of contradicts)

I think the issue would be most pronounced when one is running an Active Crossover and when videoclock is doing significant correction.  The OP of this thread and dvogel1 in the other thread both reported a wandering center channel image as a symptom.  Imaging issues and other phase mischief are the most likely consequences.  

For my part, I have personally experienced no problems with videoclock and convolution, but my TV supports all major framerates (and I may just have a tin ear).  I think whether it's an issue depends on the system, how much videoclock is being asked to do (is it tenths of a percent or multiple percentage points?), and how sensitive you are to phase distortion.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 02:09:42 pm »

I use Convolution and VideoClock in two separate systems and have never have had a problem. One system has 8 channels and the other has 14 channels.

since your convolution filter has a fixed sample rate while a videoclocked audio stream doesn't
JRiver automatically resamples convolution filters if necessary.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »

OK right so the wiki needs a few edits then. I was also thinking I must have cloth ears if videoclock is a no go for a convolution based setup :)

hurz

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 03:12:10 pm »

Yeah a change in phase by the audio adjustments done to sync with video might explain this phenomena.
But I wonder why that didn't happen before, e.g. XBMC has a similar correction, so does ReClock.
I never had problems with those, especially the latter one which I used extensively a few years ago to speed 24p content up to 25p.
So while mwillems' explanations appear very reasonable, I wonder what other software with this sync feature is doing differently?

However, I don't think my active crossover makes a lot of difference as the center is combined with left&right before the crossover and the frequencies I mostly notice this (in the speech range) are well above the crossover point. I will try to repeat this without the crossover active though, just to make sure.
Also I mentioned before that I get a pretty much perfect framerate out of my HTPC, so there shouldn't be a lot of audio correction anyway as I already match the video source frame rate very closely.

In general:
The center channel is basically a mono source, so I wonder why this is happening as the sync function should just adjust this channel and after copying it to left&right, the resulting adjustments should be the same in both speakers (thus in phase -> centered). Or is the syncing done per channel after the PEQ? In that case a crossover might introduce additional problems as different output channels could represent different frequency ranges of the same input channel.
Of course there might be some interference with the other audio on left&right channels, but I also notice this phenomena at times where there is just one person in front of the camera without any other sound in the front channels.

Anyway I'm glad we found out where the problem lies and I can now fully enjoy this great piece of software.
Still, if I can do anything to help you guys resolve this problem, let me know!
I am also planning to do extensive measurements with a calibrated mic, I'm just waiting for my new front speakers to complete the active 3way I have planned (should be arriving by the end of the week).
I'm just not quite sure how to capture this via measurements as this is a dynamic effect... can I use some kind of test tone that the sync function would want to correct so I can measure the changes in phase?

dvogel1

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:52 am »

You may have just solved an enduring mystery that another user had a year ago that was never really resolved: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87945

The topic mwillems referenced does not use convolution. The fundamental question remains, can down-mixing video recordings to 2 channel audio and DSP co-exist?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

The topic mwillems referenced does not use convolution. The fundamental question remains, can down-mixing video recordings to 2 channel audio and DSP co-exist?

Glad you got my message  ;D   I agree that the issue isn't limited to convolution, it also potentially affects folks with active speakers who don't use convolution. It's not hard to imagine how frequent small changes in audio speed might also affect imaging with active speakers (as I described in my post above), and that could be exacerbated by adding additional processing that affects phase.

Did turning off videoclock fix your wandering center issue? Were you even using videoclock to begin with?

Pages: [1]   Go Up