INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 interfering with MC18 & MC19  (Read 2105 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
MC20 interfering with MC18 & MC19
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:18:37 pm »

Am having problems getting MC20 (upgraded recently from MC19 and MC18 which worked without issue) to run via USB with my Mytek 192-DSD-DAC.  Not being sure that all would go well, kept MC18 and MC19 on the system.

When I (EXIT)ed from MC20 figuring that I would confirm that MC18 would still run properly and opened MC18, got a bunch of popup error screens including one telling me that there were other versions running.  After sorting thru them all, I wind up with BOTH MC18 and MC20 open with tabs on the menu bar!

Not knowing what was going on, it was suggested that I uninstall both MC18 and MC19 leaving only MC20 on the system.  MC19 uninstalled just fine.  MC18 will NOT uninstall and gives me a popup saying that I need to let the current program finish un-installing.   That was a hour earlier than my writing this and its like the proverbial "bad penny" which keeps coming back!

Have no idea what is going on or how to fix the UNINSTALL problem.

In addition, it appears that the some of the DSP configuration screens in MC20 are more complex, i.e., more options, and am losing sight of how the PC sound, MC and MYTEK need to be configured to work properly with each other.  Maybe I'm wrong but the configurations which worked for me with MC18 were not carried over to MC19 or MC20 since I am having issues with both.  Within limitations, I am a "Betty Crocker" (i.e., can read a recipe but cannot intuitively set this stuff up) guy when it comes to some of this server setup.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 interfering with MC18 & MC19
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »

Install this version:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/latest/MediaCenter180212.exe

Then uninstall will work.

Settings are part of backups, beginning with MC19, and can be restored.

Manually copy settings from MC18.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »

Sorry I missed your reply JimH.  I did reinstall MC18 and was then able to do full uninstall.

Now, MC20 is locking up when used to play local files (stored on separate internal drive from OS) on PC running Win7 Pro.   I see that there is a thread for MC20 "lockup" issues but have not read the lengthy thread.  (Coincidentally, I have also had problems with doing System Restore to a previous date, not full, in efforts to overcome the lockup issues.)

Was going to uninstall MC20 but got to thinking that maybe either 18 or 19 needed to be on the system to retain MC settings.  Happy with the settings I have but not sure I would remember them all if I needed to! 
Where are the settings stored for potential retrieval?

Issues seem to have all started with upgrade from MC18 to 19 and has been exacerbated now with MC20.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »

Uninstalling isn't necessary.

Please describe what type of files and what the audio device is.

Antivirus programs can cause this type of problem.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »

Appreciate the assist, JimH.

Audio files: FLAC, WAV, DSF, DFF, MP3
Device: Mytek 192-DSD-DAC
Antivirus: MS Security Essentials

Figuring that System Restore might help, tried a few dates but get message:
"System restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer system files and settings were not changed.  System Restore failed to extract the file (C:\) from the restore point.  An unspecified error occurred druing System Restore.  (0x8000ffff)"

Have no clue what is going on.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »

Try playing only FLAC of the same bit depth and sample rate, then another filetype, etc.

The problem may occur when the format or bit depth or sample rate change.

You might also try using DSP Studio Output Settings to resample everything to one sample rate.

Try a search for mytek here.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »

Issue rears its head when MC is open but NOT playing back, say after playing an assortment of formats (non-specific order) and then nothing played for extended period of time.  Have not had issue during playback so far.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:14:33 pm »

Issue rears its head when MC is open but NOT playing back, say after playing an assortment of formats (non-specific order) and then nothing played for extended period of time.  Have not had issue during playback so far.

OK, just wanted to report that system (OS = MSWin7Pro) locked up again today. 

MC18 and MC19 uninstalled (completely) prior to these last two posts as directed (even tho' may not be assignable cause since have second PC with MC18, MC19, and MC20 all installed which runs fine (OS = MSWin7) and has never locked up during playback or idling.

System up and running fine all day with programs other than MC20, i.e., running system updates, virus scans, etc. BUT NOT playing music.

System started up fine today and MC20 fed DAC just fine for a couple of hour listening session.

System sat with MC20 open but not playing music for about 30-60 minutes.

Went back to PC and mouse, keyboard, etc., all locked up.

Could not open Task Manager using CTRL/ALT/DEL.

Powered system down without closing MC20.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring...very frustrating and not sure what impact powering down like this after locking up will have!

Thoughts...?
Pages: [1]   Go Up