INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 20.0.25 for Debian  (Read 6970 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Media Center 20.0.25 for Debian
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter-20.0.25.deb

20.0.25 (10/16/2014)

1. Changed: More UI changes. Extra desktop hinting on window, title bar and icon creation. Suspend desktop hinting when moving or resizing the root window. Attempt to fix initial window placement issue. Needs testing.

20.0.23 (10/13/2014)

1. Changed: More UI changes. Needs testing.

20.0.22 (10/9/2014)

1. Fixed: Video Playback crashed on stop when playing from a library server.
2. NEW: If using the system volume control and there is no mixer for the PCM device, we'll fall back to using the Master mixer for the device.
3. Changed: UI fixes. Startup position and position of popup windows should be stable now. This includes the controls in fullscreen video mode.

20.0.20 (10/2/2014)

1. Fixed: https protocol broken in 20.0.18
2. Changed: Switched to gnutls from openssl for https support because of a bug in the openssl static libs that prevented some websites certificates from being verified (i.e. twitter)

20.0.18 (9/26/2014)

1. Fixed: JRWorker segfaulting occasionally prevented some file types from being recognized.
2. Fixed: MediaCenter also occasionally segfaulted on exit.

20.0.17 (9/19/2014)

1. NEW: Implemented the file "locate" function.
2. Fixed: Menu items that open a URL in a browser.
3. Fixed: Disabled menu items unsupported on linux.
4. Fixed: Default for managing links changed to external browser.
5. Changed: possibly more ability to play Internet streams. Needs testing.

20.0.16 (9/16/2014)

1. Fixed: Series and Season cover art downloaded to the wrong folders.
2. NEW: Video playback supports playing from a library server.
3. Fixed: Last.fm scrobbling.

20.0.15 (9/12/2014)

1. Fixed: Fullscreen video playback is functional.
2. Changed: The video renderer uses VSYNC if available in the graphics driver.

20.0.13 (9/8/2014)

1. Fixed: Corrected the latency calculation for the ALSA output.
2. NEW: Video support.

RemyJ

Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.25 for Debian
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:50:55 pm »

Window placement and size on start works as expected even with 6 monitors.
Window resize seems to work better.  The window goes white while resizing and resizes correctly.
Window move still flips out heavily.  Need to use 'alt' drag to move.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:05:28 am »

Yes, window move and window resize are working very well here (with the "white out" during resize).  Position remembering is working as expected as well.  Maximize/Restore button working as expected, very smooth.

openSUSE factory/Plasma5
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 01:41:11 pm »

Moving and resizing sees no change here for me.

It jumps all over the place, moves off screen in a blink and eventually crashes MC.

It did remember its place offscreen when I closed it though so that seemed to work  ::)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:15:27 pm »

I'm getting very smooth window resizing and moving in Gnome on Arch, except when the view is on on the playing now window for some reason.  The window goes blank except for the album cover art in playing now, and I managed to get it "stuck" blank by moving it around a bunch.  A major improvement on my end.

In the "not so good" category, I am noticing massive CPU usage in this build and the prior build (Media Center alone using 20% CPU at idle, more when playing).  My library has 100% audio analyzed and thumbnails built, and  Reporter shows no background processes, I'm just seeing massive CPU usage at idle.  The machine has a JRmark of 2200.

Udo was seeing the same thing last build: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92547.msg637702#msg637702

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »

I'm getting very smooth window resizing and moving in Gnome on Arch, except when the view is on on the playing now window for some reason.  The window goes blank except for the album cover art in playing now, and I managed to get it "stuck" blank by moving it around a bunch.  A major improvement on my end.
It should be blank, it'd be nice if it went completely blank though.
In the "not so good" category, I am noticing massive CPU usage in this build and the prior build (Media Center alone using 20% CPU at idle, more when playing).  My library has 100% audio analyzed and thumbnails built, and  Reporter shows no background processes, I'm just seeing massive CPU usage at idle.  The machine has a JRmark of 2200.
Not seeing any unusual CPU usage on my build box.
Udo was seeing the same thing last build: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92547.msg637702#msg637702
Could it be related to your desktop manager?
Is it in any particular view?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 05:46:02 pm »

Not seeing any unusual CPU usage on my build box.Could it be related to your desktop manager?
Is it in any particular view?

I've tested with Gnome and XFCE (using compton as compositor) on Arch, same CPU usage on both.  I tried a few different views.  The library views seem the worst, with playing now using somewhat less (down around 12 or 14% at idle, which is still high).  Note that minimizing the window doesn't seem to change anything.

Just noticed a clue:  When I first load media center the CPU usage is relatively low (about 3 to 5%).  When I play something it jumps up to 25% and stays around 20% even after I stop what's playing.  So it seems like Media Center is just ramping up and not letting go.  I stopped playback 10 minutes ago, and MC is still idling at 18-20%.  Also of note: while this is happening, Xorg is hitting 5% or 6% when it normally doesn't go over 1%.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

mwillems, just curious, how is your DSP studio set up for that zone?
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »

Hi, I think auto import (where mc finds and adds new music itself) might be broken in v25; it was working fine in v23. the "run auto import" option does work correctly. thanks.
[edit October 21]my mistake, it's working fine; must have been a glitch somewhere.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »

mwillems, just curious, how is your DSP studio set up for that zone?

DSP was my first thought because I have a good chunk of DSP operating (a significant number of PEQ filters, but no convolution).  

I tested with all DSP disabled and it made no discernible difference in CPU usage. Which isn't surprising, because I was seeing high CPU usage that sticks even after playback is stopped for many minutes (which would point away from DSP).

I did some additional testing and it's very odd.  It seems that the high CPU usage only "sticks" until I change views within MC.  Let me summarize what I'm seeing:

1) Play a song; CPU usage goes up to 20-25% while playing (even with all DSP disabled).
2) Press stop; if I do nothing further, CPU usage stays around 18% to 20%. Minimizing MC doesn't reduce CPU usage, and waiting fifteen minutes or more doesn't reduce CPU usage.
3) Changing views from a library view to "playing now" or "drives and devices" results in an immediate drop from 18 to 20% to 3% or 5%, or sometimes even lower.  
4) At that point, the CPU does not increase again unless I play something, even if I switch back to a library view.  In this state, scrolling aggressively in a library view might push CPU up to 4% or 6%, but it goes back down as soon as I stop scrolling.

So it seems wound up in the view schemes and stopping playback somehow?  Hope this helps, and let me know if any further testing would be helpful.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:21 pm »

I can duplicate the CPU usage scenario.
I think it MAY have something to do with the spectrum display during playback.
It's odd that it doesn't stop until switching views though.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:59 am »

Am I the only one left with move/resize issues?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:11:54 am »

Happens to me too.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 03:40:50 am »

An issue I have since the latest version, the Options dialog is opened as a window so small that all I see is a vertical line of about 1,5cm. I can resize it and once the menu options appear I can click an item and it will reset the size, but each time it is opened as its smallest size.

Also I noticed that MC's temp folder is set under the User home directory, but isn't it better to default the tmp storage to the system default? On Arch for instance, this is /tmp and its a tmpfs type, meaning its stored in RAM, its faster and it saves SSD's for what its worth.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:58 am »

As noted above, I managed (this build) to get MC stuck on a blank screen through a combination of a series of quick moves and resizes once, but I haven't managed to reproduce sizing/moving issues using MC normally at this point (other than the fact that playing now album artwork doesn't blank during the resize/move).

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 07:53:45 am »

I disabled Compton and using the default XFCE4 compositor, same resize/move issues.

I tried on Gnome, same thing. With the addition that the Options dialog opens really small so that only a vertical line is visible. Easy to resize though, but it doesn't remember size/position on Gnome.

RemyJ

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 11:01:17 am »

Nope.   Resize seems to be working a lot better but move is still unusable for me.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 11:11:31 am »

I disabled Compton and using the default XFCE4 compositor, same resize/move issues.

I tried on Gnome, same thing. With the addition that the Options dialog opens really small so that only a vertical line is visible. Easy to resize though, but it doesn't remember size/position on Gnome.

I used to get the tiny sliver options window like you're describing, but it's been two builds or so since I got it, so I'm not sure what's different between our setups? 

I can confirm that changes to the size of child windows do not "stick" for me in the current build (new options window is always the same size and location regardless of where I left it last), but that wasn't registering as a bug for me as that's how child windows work for me on the windows version (they always open in the same size and location regardless of attempts to resize). Changes to the size/location of the main window seem to be remembered though

So maybe your option window got the default size assigned as the sliver?  I wonder if there's somewhere editable that these window size and positions are stored?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:09 am »

I used to get the tiny sliver options window like you're describing, but it's been two builds or so since I got it, so I'm not sure what's different between our setups? 

I can confirm that changes to the size of child windows do not "stick" for me in the current build (new options window is always the same size and location regardless of where I left it last), but that wasn't registering as a bug for me as that's how child windows work for me on the windows version (they always open in the same size and location regardless of attempts to resize). Changes to the size/location of the main window seem to be remembered though

So maybe your option window got the default size assigned as the sliver?  I wonder if there's somewhere editable that these window size and positions are stored?
I'm pretty certain that in all version of MC, only the position and size of the main windows are stored.
If you open the options window with crtl o I'm guessing you won't see a sliver window.

I don't know why IM is having so much trouble with XFCE4.
Most of my machines run that and they all work very well.
What X server are you using?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:53 am »

It is odd because I'm also using XFCE4 on Arch part time, and am not seeing the same issues he's seeing anymore. I get a little bit of resize flakiness as described, but moving is rock solid for me now.  The only serious UI flakiness I'm seeing in XFCE is that the maximize/restore button doesn't work correctly most of the time, but it works correctly in Gnome. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:41 am »

I don't think its tied to the OS itself, I've been using the exact same OS and DE as Bob (XFCE on Debian Wheezy), and it was always terrible for me.
Maybe a hardware thing, GPU driver, the mouse in question, etc?

My current box has a NVIDIA GPU with the latest binary driver, and I use a logitech gaming mouse, which may have higher DPI then usual mice, if that matters at all.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:05 am »

You may be on to something; I think Inflatable Mouse has an NVIDIA GPU using the proprietary drivers based on some other posts.

FWIW I have integrated graphics (Intel) with the latest mesa drivers, and a logitech M305 wireless mouse.  

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:23 am »

The sliver thing with the Options dialog was under Gnome. I am done trying Gnome though, I don't like it and won't be installing it again. The sliver thing doesn't happen on XFCE4.

You may be on to something; I think Inflatable Mouse has an NVIDIA GPU using the proprietary drivers based on some other posts.

FWIW I have integrated graphics (Intel) with the latest mesa drivers, and a logitech M305 wireless mouse. 

True, Nvidia (GT430 and before GTX580) with proprietary drivers. I also use a gaming mouse (Zowie EC2Evo), not because I game but because I really like this model :P but it has high DPI and it very sensitive.

I'll see if I can change it and whether that matters.

I could try and switch to Nouveau see if that matters too.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 11:57:40 am »

It's the mouse DPI. I turned down the sensitivity and it moves and resizes smoothly now. When I start moving it faster, it will jump around again but not nearly as much as on higher sensitivity.

Good hunch Hendrik.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 11:59:32 am »

It has always done that for me, more or less. If I move it very slowly, it works (kinda), but if i start to move it over the screen faster, it goes all bananas.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

Yeh, true for me as well but here's the thing. My mouse has a hardware button to switch between three DPI settings. Lower DPI setting with higher sensitivity works better than high DPI on low sensitivity. In the latter case, the window jumps out of range sometimes or even crashes MC. In the first case, the window judders but always comes back.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:15 pm »

MC is trying be default to do pixel resolution moves.
With the higher resolution mouse you are probably seeing the effect of that.
It's possible that we can tell the system we only want, say 10 pixel resolution on moves/resizes.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »

I can duplicate the CPU usage scenario.
I think it MAY have something to do with the spectrum display during playback.
It's odd that it doesn't stop until switching views though.
It does have to something to do with the spectrum display because the CPU usage goes down to normal when you right-click to disable that.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:48 pm »

It does have to something to do with the spectrum display because the CPU usage goes down to normal when you right-click to disable that.

Confirmed here, good sleuthing.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • When Summer comes...
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Confirmed here too.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2024 Update (24H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2024 Update (24H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/500GB M.2 NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | iFi ZEN DAC 3 | JBL 306P MkII Studio Monitors | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »

The DSP Studio forgets the settings.
I despair  ? :-X I set everything as in the picture. I start a song with 96 kHz - MC respamples to 48 kHz. When I open the DSP Studio again all Samplerates are back on 48 kHz. Saving the settings does not help. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by F种N
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 03:11:17 pm »

The DSP Studio forgets the settings.
I despair  ? :-X I set everything as in the picture. I start a song with 96 kHz - MC resamples to 48 kHz. When I open the DSP Studio again all Samplerates are back on 48 kHz. Saving the settings does not help. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
I can't reproduce this.
If you go into the DSP and change something, then go right back in and look at it is ok then?
Or is it reset just upon restarting MC?

Things to check, the Settings files aren't read-only.
In a terminal window
cd ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/Settings
touch User\ Settings.ini
touch Machine\ Settings.ini
you shouldn't get any errors..

If it's just losing the settings upon restart, can you run mediacenter20 from a terminal, make some DSP changes and exit.
When you exit MC, does it segfault?

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »

strange:
both files were read only ---> changed ---> made ​​in DSP Studio settings -----> line 499 in User Settings.ini:

file:///home/hans/.jriver/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini

498 Output Pseudo Surround Detection=i:"0"
499 Output Sample Rate Settings="(1:2)(5:48000)(5:48000)(1:0)(5:88200)(5:96000)(6:176400)(6:192000)(6:192000)(6:192000)(6:192000)"
500 Output Surround Mode=i:"2"

MC closed ---> Line 499 in User Settings.ini:

Output Pseudo Surround Detection=i:"0"
Output Sample Rate Settings="(1:2)(5:48000)(1:0)(1:0)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)"
Output Surround Mode=i:"2"

I do not understand - where MC will establish the values ​​??

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »

strange:
both files were read only ---> changed ---> made ​​in DSP Studio settings -----> line 499 in User Settings.ini:

file:///home/hans/.jriver/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini

498 Output Pseudo Surround Detection=i:"0"
499 Output Sample Rate Settings="(1:2)(5:48000)(5:48000)(1:0)(5:88200)(5:96000)(6:176400)(6:192000)(6:192000)(6:192000)(6:192000)"
500 Output Surround Mode=i:"2"

MC closed ---> Line 499 in User Settings.ini:

Output Pseudo Surround Detection=i:"0"
Output Sample Rate Settings="(1:2)(5:48000)(1:0)(1:0)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)(5:48000)"
Output Surround Mode=i:"2"

I do not understand - where MC will establish the values ​​??

I don't exactly know how MC stores those values either but I assume since you've changed them to read-write and your second line is different from the first that it's working now??

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »

I can write in the DSP studio what I want - MC saves it - but when I play a song with more than 48 kHz MC re-samples always at 48 kHz.
and the row is changed. It appears that the values ​​are stored elsewhere. From there they are taken over again ??

Example:
I change the DSP Studio Settings. --> I close MC. --> I open MC again.---> DSP Studio has stored all the settings. ---->
I play a song ---> MC immediately changes all settings to 48 kHz.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:45 pm »

I can write in the DSP studio what I want - MC saves it - but when I play a song with more than 48 kHz MC re-samples always at 48 kHz.
and the row is changed. It appears that the values ​​are stored elsewhere. From there they are taken over again ??

Example:
I change the DSP Studio Settings. --> I close MC. --> I open MC again.---> DSP Studio has stored all the settings. ---->
I play a song ---> MC immediately changes all settings to 48 kHz.
Disable
Options->Audio->Advanced->Auto Configure Output Settings on Playback Error

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 05:04:13 pm »

But that also means that it just doesn't accept rates higher than 48k on that audio output, or it wouldn't be reconfiguring it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 05:11:11 pm »

Disable
Options->Audio->Advanced->Auto Configure Output Settings on Playback Error

if I do that, there comes a playback error. But my sound card supports 192 kHz.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 05:28:21 pm »

Not on the device you've chosen.
You should look for

front: something...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »

If you choose a default: or sysdefault: device and pulseaudio is installed on your system (even just the libs) you'll get limited to 48k by the system mixer.

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 05:46:04 pm »

I have tested all devices. I skip only the surround cards. Everywhere the same result

hans@enp2so:~$ dpkg -l *pulse*
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64  1.4.3-1+b1           amd64                GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64      5.0-13               amd64                  PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0:amd64                           5.0-13               amd64                  PulseAudio client libraries
rc  pulseaudio                                  5.0-2                amd64                    PulseAudio sound server
ii  vlc-plugin-pulse                            1:2.2.0~pre4-dmo3    all                  transitional dummy package for vlc

most of Pulse - audio I have already removed. The libraries which are installed, I can not easily remove. Due to the dependencies almost the whole KDE is uninstalled.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 04:42:17 am »

geier22,

Try creating a new hardware device like the example given in this post.

Use speaker-test from the terminal to test it.

In the example post I linked the device is called "ud501". Mind that it is case sensitive.

To test it, try something like (adjust -D parameter for your device):

$ speaker-test -D ud501 -c 2 -f 44100

You may have to specify sample format, use -F, parameters are likely S32_LE or S24_LE.

To test different sampling rates, adjust -f, 48000, 96000, etc.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 11:04:13 am »

geier22,

Try creating a new hardware device like the example given in this post.

Use speaker-test from the terminal to test it.

In the example post I linked the device is called "ud501". Mind that it is case sensitive.

To test it, try something like (adjust -D parameter for your device):

$ speaker-test -D ud501 -c 2 -f 44100

You may have to specify sample format, use -F, parameters are likely S32_LE or S24_LE.

To test different sampling rates, adjust -f, 48000, 96000, etc.

It's also possible that the device only supports the other sample rates at a particular format, say S24_LE.
In the device options in MC the default is AUTO (which starts at S32_LE and works it's way down until something works).
You may have to set the format to a specific one for your device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up