INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Playback Certain Ripped DVDs  (Read 1441 times)

luke472

• Recent member
Can't Playback Certain Ripped DVDs
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:41:47 pm »

Hello. I have a computer running windows 8.1 pro that has 16gb of ram with all the program files running from an ssd. All of the media is stored on external hard drives. I am running 20.0.25 and am only using windows defender. I have been through and added all the exceptions to defender as per the instructions on the website.

I am having an issue where I can't playback some of the dvds I have ripped and these include: Illuminations The Tea Party Collection, Rage Most Chosen, 2004 Port Adelaide Victory Pack, Alice in Chains Music Bank, Rage Most Chosen and The Foals Live at Royal Albert Hall. In most cases jriver will lock up before it gets to the disc menu and I have to close jriver via task manager, but with some of the files I can start viewing where it will be fine until I try to skip chapters. Following this I have to close jriver via task manager.

Here is what I have tried:

When I rip a copy of the Tea Party Collection on my lap top running MC19 and windows 7 I can view the ripped file no worries (I still had the same issue when the other computer was running MC19)
Tried re ripping the discs that were having the issue to another drive and with out anyDVD running
Upgraded to MC20
Turned off windows defender

I have attached a copy of the log file when I try to play The Tea Party file.

Any help would be appreciated.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't Playback Certain Ripped DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:00:31 pm »

Do you have room on the SSD to copy one movie to it. That would be to test if the issue is related to the network/external-drive.
There is another post describing known problems playing back DVD material from drives 4TB or larger (I think it was) due to Win8 with MS DVD navigator. What size is your external drive?

luke472

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »

Thanks. Sorry it took a while to reply but I was away for work. I have copied those files to the internal hard drive on the computer and they are working fine. I haven't got enough money for a nas yet so I have had to use external drives so that I have enough storage.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »

Attached drives on USB 3?  If so read this old thread.  Once upon a time (MC 17) there was a bug in the Microsoft DVD code for DVD's stored on USB 3. Plug the drive into a USB 2 port and the problem goes away.  Maybe the bug is still there.....

Matt, some good news and some bad news.

This weekend I took the extreme approach and did a clean install of Windows on my HTPC.  Before doing anything else (eg catching up on all the MS patches) I installed MC 17.050.  Imported the DVD's and attempted to play them.  Same results as before.  At this point I'm puzzled as what the hay, how much simpler can a system be.  ^%*&%^*()*(

So for the good news.  I moved a few DVD's from my external USB 3.0 drive to the C drive and guess what they play great.  I moved all the rest and played, stopped, bookmarked, jumped around, changed audio tracks....you get the idea.  Everything works.  Now for the bad news.  If I copy the DVD back to the Western Digital 3tb USB 3 drive they fail again.  Interestingly, that same drive has some ripped blu-rays and they play just fine.  Just for fun I copied the DVD's to a WD USB 2 drive and they plays just fine there.   (#$^^%%^*%   

Any ideas about MC being sensitive to a USB 3 device for DVD playback but not for Blu-Ray?  Does this info give you some ideas about building some debug code?

FastKayak / Larry

luke472

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »

Thanks mate. Yeah the drives are usb 3 and now I know of this issue. I have simply moved some data around so there is enough room on the internal drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up