INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cables for Tascam UH-7000  (Read 3467 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cables for Tascam UH-7000
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »

Today I sold my Teac UD-501 DAC and I will replacing it with a Tascam UH-7000, mainly because I want to be able to record and I'm not happy with consumer USB soundcards I tried.

http://tascam.com/product/uh-7000/specifications/

I'm totally unfamiliar with professional gear. What kind of cables do I need to connect this device?

Preamp is an Emotiva XSP-1. For output from the UH-7000 I will be using XLR so that's easy, I'll use XLR cables to the preamp.

For input, the Tascam has
Line in: 6.3mm(1/4") TRS-jack(T:HOT, R:COLD, S:GND), BALANCED
Mic: XLR-3-31(1:GND, 2:HOT, 3:COLD), BALANCED

I would like to test 2 outputs of the Emotiva towards the Tascam, a regular unbalanced line out (2Vrms) and balanced XLR output.

What kind of cables do I need? I can find XLR to TRS cables but the website says they are unbalanced and I'm not sure that's what I need.

Appreciate the help!
Thanks.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Cables for Tascam UH-7000
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:31:13 pm »

For the balanced output you want XLR to TRS cables, but the cables should be balanced; both XLR and TRS support balanced connections but don't have to be wired that way (mic cables aren't always).  Look for an XLR to TRS balanced cable.  Something like this (but in your neck of the woods to avoid shipping/customs): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BPBQXM10

For the unbalanced output on the Emotiva, what kind of connector does it have?  XLR or RCA, or something else?  

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »

For the balanced cable, it needs to be XLR female but I get the idea, thanks.

The TRS needs to be tip:hot, ring: cold, sleeve: ground and the XLR side 1: ground, 2: hot, 3: cold. Are all these cables wired the same?

The unbalanced out is RCA, correct.

If I want to use the XLR output, I would have to use headphones on the Tascam and leave the power amps off because these are the mains out. It was suggested somewhere these might yield better results. Would you reckon its better to use the fixed 2Vrms line output instead or is there really an advantage to use the XLR mains out?

Thanks again! Appreciate it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

For the balanced cable, it needs to be XLR female but I get the idea, thanks.

The TRS needs to be tip:hot, ring: cold, sleeve: ground and the XLR side 1: ground, 2: hot, 3: cold. Are all these cables wired the same?

They all "should be" wired the same.  Pin 1 and the sleeve are always supposed to be ground. The equipment's wiring is more important than the cable if you see what I mean.   I've heard of equipment that tried to do something clever, but most manufacturers observe the convention.  

The unbalanced out is RCA, correct.
Then you'd need an RCA to TS or TRS connector (it shouldn't matter which).  It will obviously be an unbalanced connection.

If I want to use the XLR output, I would have to use headphones on the Tascam and leave the power amps off because these are the mains out. It was suggested somewhere these might yield better results. Would you reckon its better to use the fixed 2Vrms line output instead or is there really an advantage to use the XLR mains out?

Well the XLRs are a balanced connection, the RCAs are not.  Balanced connections have a lot of advantages, mostly that they're lower noise and eliminate ground hum.  They're also much less sensitive to cable length and construction (long balanced cable runs are fine, long unbalanced cable runs can be a problem depending on the cable).  In short, balanced connections are superior in just about every way.  Will you notice?  If you have a 3-6 foot cable run and none of your equipment creates a ground loop, probably not.  If you want a longer cable run or are getting ground hum, then the balanced will be much, much better.

I only use balanced connections if I can help it, but that's because I get ground hum by creating an unbalanced interconnection between virtually any two pieces of equipment in my house  :'(  The balanced connections eliminate it completely.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »

Thanks, that should get me going.

One more (silly) question. I found only one cable at the shop where I will be ordering the Tascam next week. But the specs say specifically its a microphone cable, type MC305. I don't believe in magic cables made of silver and gold but I have no idea whether this would be a problem or not.

It's this one: http://www.bax-shop.nl/xlr-jack/procab-cab723-xlr-female-jack-stereo-male-1.50-meter/product-details.html

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »

As long as it's balanced and not obviously compromised (i.e. no cuts or loose connections), it should work fine.  One of the advantages of balanced transmission is that it tends to make the specific cable design much less relevant, but it looks like it's a shielded twisted pair cable, which is good balanced cable design. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:17:54 am »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up