INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some files don't import - Albums only show half the songs  (Read 2015 times)

sdolezalek

Some files don't import - Albums only show half the songs
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:44:09 am »

For reasons I can't figure out, my auto import settings only cause some of the files in each album to be imported.  Most albums are fine, but for others it only imports the even numbered files on others it skips three songs but imports the rest.  Even when I play a skipped song, it is not added to the album view or file view list (even though I adjusted the settings to import upon playback).  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Some files don't import - Albums only show half the songs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »

Can you manually play the skipped files by drag-n-drop into the player, for example.  If so, right-click and Add to Library in Playing Now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sdolezalek

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

No, they will not open with drag and drop.  I can retag the file for "Opens with" and specific Media Center 20 and click the "Always" box and then the file will start playing (but even then that file will still not show up as part of the album).  The songs in the album that do appear will play properly when I click on them. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »

and then the file will start playing

Once the file is playing, it'll be in Playing Now.  Right-click and pick Import there.

sdolezalek

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:26:51 pm »

I think I'm beginning to figure out what's wrong.  When I import the file from "Playing Now" it isn't tagged to show artist, album, track or song title - for some reason I'm having to manually add those tags even though most of the rest of the songs on the same album are correctly tagged.  Any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 03:10:49 pm »

I think I'm beginning to figure out what's wrong.  When I import the file from "Playing Now" it isn't tagged to show artist, album, track or song title - for some reason I'm having to manually add those tags even though most of the rest of the songs on the same album are correctly tagged.  Any ideas?

Well maybe the files aren't all tagged?  That would explain it -- they're importing but showing up not where you expect them.

At least it's quick work to tag with Media Center.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:40:13 pm »

I think I'm beginning to figure out what's wrong.  When I import the file from "Playing Now" it isn't tagged to show artist, album, track or song title - for some reason I'm having to manually add those tags even though most of the rest of the songs on the same album are correctly tagged.

Yes.  When you import via one of these mechanisms:

* Import via drag-drop from Windows Explorer or the Finder
* Import from Playing Now by right-click > Import.
* Import via Automation Commands (generally, unless you run Auto-Import via automation)

Then MC imports the file completely "clean" and does not do the normal processing it does on the file, unlike other regular Import methods.  This is an "escape valve" you can use if MC's normal automatic parsing is causing problems when importing a file.  For more info, check out the wiki page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

However, you can force MC to pick up the tags from the files themselves, even if they were already imported in this way.  Simply select the files in question and do: Right-Click > Library Tools > Update Library (from Tags).

Click to embiggen.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sdolezalek

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

Yes, that was clearly the problem, although I have no idea why some songs on each Album got correctly tagged on import and others got no tagging. 

Question:  When I update using "Update Library (from Tags)" it pulls all of the information into "Name" rather than allocating it among Name/artist/Album etc.  Is there a way other than manually to then assign the tag to the rest of the fields?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:24:42 pm »

Those files are likely tagged poorly.  If you can post an example file using WikiSend or your Dropbox account (or something similar), I can verify this for you.

If the filename of them is structured and contains the appropriate Tags, you can use Right-Click > Library Tools > Fill Properties from Filename to extract the tags from the filename structure you have on disk.

This tool is quite flexible, and can process many files at once.  I recommend you:

1. Make a Library Backup before you do this, in case you mess up badly and want to start over.
2. Do one or two to get a feel for it before you do a bunch.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up