INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel Up/Down buttons on my remote  (Read 2181 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Channel Up/Down buttons on my remote
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:51:43 pm »

I am using EventGhost on my remote to send commands to MC.  I use page up and page down for a variety of things, and it is mapped to my channel up/down button.  The 2 most useful things I use it for is moving a full page at a time through the guide, and also, changing channels.  The problem is that the guide works as expected, but if I use it for changing channels, it is reversed...for instance, if I am on channel 4.1, and press channel up, it goes to channel 2.1 instead of 7.1.

Is there anything I can do to make both functions work correctly?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Channel Up/Down buttons on my remote
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »

That is a hard one, and the change you suggest would be non-intuitive for me.

When on the Guide or in Theatreview etc. I treat the Channel Up/Down buttons as Page Up/Down buttons, so while on say channel 4.1 in the Guide if I pressed Page Up I would expect the cursor to move up in the channel list. As I sort more or less by channel number, I would expect to end up on something like channel 2.1.

When I am watching a channel live though, I expect those buttons to act as a normal Channel Up/Down buttons. So if I am on channel 9 and press the Channel Up button, I expect to land on channel 10.

You could always sort your Guide in reverse numerical sequence.  ;D But that wouldn't change the Page Up/Down functionality in Theatreview.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »

What you expect is also what I would expect...but that isn't what's happening...when I press channel up, then channel number goes down...

But, when I am in the guide, it works as you describe, which is what I would expect as well.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

There seems to be something strange when using channel up/down while a channel is showing.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »

Sorry, I misread that bit in your post.

Strange.

I just checked mine to be sure before posting. I have three consecutive channels, 7, 9, and 10. I selected channel 9 and pressed the channel up (+) button, and it moved to channel 10. I pressed the channel down (-) button and it moved back down to channel 9, then to channel 7. The (+) button is the top button on the remote, the (-) is the bottom button.

On the Guide it does work perfectly as a Page Up/Down, and even stops at the top or bottom of the guide instead of jumping up to the menu. In Theaterview on a list of TV Shows Page Up/Down will move through the list and scroll back to the top if you pass the bottom, or to the bottom if you pass the top, which is nice as well.

So my setup works differently to yours.

On previous software/hardware I have used, the Channel Up/Down buttons moved up and down a selected default favourites list instead of up/down the numeric list of channels, and did behave the way you explain.

There is an option for this in MC, under Options > Television > Advanced > Edit channel list at the top of the dialogue page, called "Next / Previous use favorite channels only". Do you have this selected? If so, maybe it changes the functionality, since now the Channel Up/Down buttons are moving up and down your favourites list which is sorted lowest number at the top, and not the numeric channel list. . .

. . . Hmm, no. I just checked on my setup and changing that parameter didn't not change the Channel Up/Down sequence. It just correctly only moved between favourite channels.

Sorry, no help here. I don't know what is going on.

PS: I was testing this with the channels showing live on the TV, so nothing strange going on for me Yaobing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 06:07:24 pm »

were you using the page up/page down buttons, or were you using an actual WMC Remote?  I was wondering if they behaved differently...technically, when I looked, page up/down wasn't listed as channel change keyboard shortcut, however, it does work...just in reverse, at least for me.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »

Ah. Found it.

I was using a Logitech remote. It has Channel Up/down buttons that are mapped to the MCE Channel Up/Down keys.

When I used the Page Up/Down keys on my Bluetooth Logitech keyboard I get the same result you do. So I guess that answers the question. We were talking about different input devices, and using the same name for the keys. I don't use Event Ghost so didn't understand that you were using a real keyboard.

Now you just have to decide what you can do about it.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:36:11 pm »

I'm not using a keyboard...I actually use a remote, but I use Netflix from WMC, since I don't like the netflix interface in MC...so I can't disable the WMC from within MC...so what I have done is use EventGhost to detect if I am in MC, or in Netflix, and send the appropriate command.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:37 pm »

So I guess you can get Event Ghost to send a Channel Up/Down instead of a Page Up/Down? Or would that muck up your WMC / MC solution?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »

yeah...unfortunately, the MCE plugin detects that MCE isn't running, and doesn't send the commands, so I have to use keyboard shortcuts.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »

Not being a Event Ghost user I can't help with getting around that problem. But at least you have confirmed what you see is consistent with my setup, and it is the Page Up/Down command which is causing your issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up