INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is WDM?  (Read 1558 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
What is WDM?
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »

I suspect, but as a non-techy don't know, that the new WDM process is a very useful addition to JRiver (and if you read my thoughts on Video future you will see that interface simplification is i believe very important).  so i set up WDM, again unsure as to what exactly it is useful for, but i suspect it is useful for a bunch of things as follows (maybe):

a) Internet music/video (e.g. Wolfgangsvault) now has a common no-fuss JRiver audio setup??

b)how bout blutooth (last year i bought a new receiver as it has blutooth 4, so that all my family can play music direct to the receiver from their phones with good clarity, but beyond that there is no easy sound shaping), can they now stream to the HTPC blutooth to JRiver DSP and get music that way??

c) room sound setup, i have done this again via my receiver (just once and to simplify my life) but with this new setup am i likely better off to just set it up via JRiver) and if so i guess i would turn off that function in my receiver

d) same as sound shaping (DSP, equilizer, etc.) i now only use a couple of setups via my receiver (Like concert, sports, etc.) as it was too much trouble elsewise, is it good to again turn that lock stock and barrel over to JRiver

e) what now happens with say VLC, or Windows Media or Windows Media Centre, or any other software we may use in this regards.

F) and what of other receiver functions like DTS, NEO, etc.  (to date i have never used JRiver for this again for simplification)

Lastly i would appreciate any and all use cases you may think is helpful..

TIA.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Use Cases for WDM?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:19:12 am »

WDM is a driver type.  MC's WDM is an additional driver on your system.  It can do what other WDM drivers do.

A driver is a piece of software that can communicate in both directions with a software application and the hardware it needs to control.

An ordinary audio device driver would usually be provided by the OS provider or by the device manufacturer.

The advantage of MC's WDM is that any software application (like a browser or another audio program) will see it as an ordinary driver, so no modification to the application is required, but MC will be able to process the communications before they reach the hardware.  So you could add volume leveling to Spotify, for example.

Hendrik or Matt, please correct this if you can.

tranle

• Recent member
Re: What is WDM?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »

Currently MC WDM only works when MC is running so it make it difficult to set it as the default device.

It is possible to have the MC WDM forward the requests to some other WDM when the MC application is not running ?

Thanks.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »

Currently MC WDM only works when MC is running so it make it difficult to set it as the default device.

It is possible to have the MC WDM forward the requests to some other WDM when the MC application is not running ?

Thanks.

yes in a way ... have just mediaserver.exe launch at Windows startup (not the media center interface it self) If you have set the driver as your default device in Windows, you don't need the UI running. (there is more detail on this in the main thread.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:05:16 pm »

Providing that  you have set it up correctly, and synced audio to the video if you also are going to stream video

My comments in red :)

a) Internet music/video (e.g. Wolfgangsvault) now has a common no-fuss JRiver audio setup?? Yes

b)how bout blutooth (last year i bought a new receiver as it has blutooth 4, so that all my family can play music direct to the receiver from their phones with good clarity, but beyond that there is no easy sound shaping), can they now stream to the HTPC blutooth to JRiver DSP and get music that way?? Well, I would use WIFI to do that, using one of JRiver remote apps, more stable and won't drain their batteries as much :) Also there would be no distance limitations really

c) room sound setup, i have done this again via my receiver (just once and to simplify my life) but with this new setup am i likely better off to just set it up via JRiver) and if so i guess i would turn off that function in my receiver YES, probably. I suppose it depends on what your reciever can do  ... some of the more advanced DSPs available in MC have a steep learning curve, but I doubt your receiver would be doing these things anyways (like convolution filters/parametric eq etc.)

d) same as sound shaping (DSP, equilizer, etc.) i now only use a couple of setups via my receiver (Like concert, sports, etc.) as it was too much trouble elsewise, is it good to again turn that lock stock and barrel over to JRiver Definately IMO. You should start reading up on zones, if you are not already familiar with them lots of posts and the wiki sor more information

e) what now happens with say VLC, or Windows Media or Windows Media Centre, or any other software we may use in this regards. They are superfluous  - and redundant -- why use them? If you do, the audio will still be shunted back through JRiver - which is a good thing, but why would you want to launch more than one program for the same tasK? Audio is superior obviously but video too is better to MUCH better (depending on you equipment. So unless you are using them other than for Playback, I guess I'd say they are now obsolete  ;D LOL

F) and what of other receiver functions like DTS, NEO, etc.  (to date i have never used JRiver for this again for simplification)I'll leave that one for Hendrik and the video/multichannel experts here

Lastly i would appreciate any and all use cases you may think is helpful..

TIA.

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:37:52 am »

Arindelle, thanks for your response and re :

a) Eric Clapton live via wolgang sounded better so that is good\

b) my kids (and their friends) actually find the blutooth receiver hookup very easy, so i guess that will stay the way it is

c) so i take it i will leave the set up as is

d) i've never used "zones" (generally to me to much complication) but if the WDM is robust it may now make sense; i will look into it

e) yes, no maybe so... i agree on all points except my experience with JRiver TV (PVR in particular) has been very bad and i use XBMC for inet video which is a very weak point of JRiver... but FYI after some playing around i got the new setup working with XBMC (which is good)

thanks for the response. regards.

PS i am going to start a thread to answer this basic question, i have avoided setting "exclusive access" as i found it conflicting to Inet, etc., but with new WDM process should i now set Device to "exclusive access" and what are the benefits??  TIA
Pages: [1]   Go Up