INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio stations coming back?  (Read 794 times)

Scronch

Radio stations coming back?
« on: January 30, 2002, 10:21:58 pm »

First, radio stations broadcast their programs over the net.

And it was good.

Then, the losers who make commercials, or somebody like that, whined that they weren't getting their cut.

And the stations were pulled off the net.

And it was bad.

Now, a local AM station is bragging that they are back on the net.

So maybe it will be good again.

My question is: What happened with those who were whining?

Scronch

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Radio stations coming back?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 11:55:15 am »

(deleted your post with the fake nickname -- cringe)

The "whiners" were a union of radio announcers who wanted payment for national distribution of what were supposed to be local ads.  Or at least that's what I recall.  Don't know the outcome.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 01:11:07 pm »

Yeah, the local LA and San Diego AM talk stations are back broadcasting on the web. They use a system that basically blocks ads from the media stream - you get silence during the "non-talent" ads.

Clear Channel Communications is leading the way on this stuff, but they are also working to hone the technology so that they  can feed Internet approved ads to the community where you are listening. Interesting.

I bet the local AM station is a talk station?

After the announcers made their bid for more $'s, the RIAA made a bid for $'s for broadcast of songs over the Internet so music stations are screwed until this is resolved.
Namaste,
John

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 01:43:41 pm »

Well hush my mouth! Thanks Scronch!!!

I moved from the SF Bay Area to San Diego when I got married a couple of years ago and about the only thing I miss about the Bay Area is the classic rock radio station I used to listen to - www.kufx.com, particularly Greg Kihn in the morning.

After responding to the post above on a whim I decided to check the station's web site and blow me if they are not back in business with the web broadcasting using the Hiwire system I decribed above!! Absolutely wicked!

Anyway, who wants to check this out please do - good stuff. Floyd playing at the moment....... I'm drifting away.....
Namaste,
John

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 07:23:34 pm »

Yup, the local station here is talk radio.  Interesting that the FM rock stations are coming back online, as well.  Hiwire seems to work pretty well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up