INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a limit to the number of media files?  (Read 1254 times)

townsma

• Recent member
Is there a limit to the number of media files?
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:11 am »

We have the latest version of MC20 install on a Gen 4 i7 Processor, with 16 GB RAM.  The machine uses an SSD drive for its system drive.

Attached to this computer is an iSCSI Drive, over a dedicated 1GB Lan. All the media files are on the iSCSI drive.

The iSCSI contains around 150,000 files.

We use another computer, also connected via a 1 GB LAN, to play the media files.  The second computer is using the key to get the library from the first computer.

On a pretty regular basis, both copies of MC20 crashes.  By regular I mean two to three times daily if I am watching movies. 

Both main system is running Win 8.1 x64, and the second machine Win7 x64, both fully patched.

There is certainly no shortage or resources on any of the systems, so the only think I can think of, is there are too many files.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with a large library?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a limit to the number of media files?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:08 am »

There is no limit to the number of files.  The largest library I recall was about 500,000 files.

Try turning off auto import.

If you're using Red October HQ for video, try Red October Standard.

Antivirus?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:09:14 am »

I have 550,677 files in my library - accessed on Drobo arrays - running on Windows 7. I don't have a second computer.

I get very infrequent crashes, but usually actually when MC is idle for hours on end, and not during video playback. I don't think this helps diagnose your problem, but don't think it has to do with number of files :)

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:16:18 pm »

I have more files than that, It doesn´t crash nearly as often as you describe in my setup, although it hangs up more often than it should, it seems to be related with operations which takes a long time, it can sometimes crash the client and bring the server with it in the fall.

townsma

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »

My hangs are actually also more related to when it is idle.  When it works, it works great, but, at least on a daily basis, I must restart the Media Server. 

I tried to delete and create new library.  No difference.

I tried to reinstall MC 20, no difference.

It is getting to the point where I am considering dumping Media Center, putting all the media files on a shared volume, and buy a WD Live, or similar, hardware playback device.

I have the most basic of installations, no add-ins, plug-ins etc. Just a clean install, connected tot he media files on an iSCSI drive.

There are no iSCSI errors logged, so I do not believe this is the problem. I think it is purely and simply an unstable app.
Pages: [1]   Go Up