INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross Platform Licensing  (Read 1149 times)

swamos

• Recent member
Cross Platform Licensing
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

I plan to purchase JRiver but have both Mac (MacBook Pro hitting iTunes) and PC (Beatis music server hitting iTunes library and local external storage) platforms. Of course I must download both OS versions, but do I have to pay the full price for each or does one purchase price allow me to get a license key for each?

Cedric D

• Recent member
Re: Cross Platform Licensing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:22 am »

Yes, Mac and Windows are separate products and each needs its license.
if you run MC on both machines you'll buy two licenses.

JGAG

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:53:28 am »

Glad I found this before I invested time and money, trialling JRiver, so thanks!

For the developers / administrators, whilst I appreciate that two platforms means twice the work, from your perspective.

From my perspective
  • many people end up in a joint PC/Mac environment nowadays, for reasons they may not be able to control
  • you are clearly offering to license multiple (same flavour) machines e.g. home / office / portable
  • many software vendors recognise this reality and suffer the costs, to meet their clients needs
  • The good news is you are actively investing in enhancing JRiver, with many chargeable upgrades, paying once for each version upgrade may make sense.  But even if I bought two licences initially, paying twice for each upgrade pushes the proposal into - not affordable territory

so I'll stick with Audivarna on a Mac for playing music - which I am very happy with and VLC on the windows box, which is ok.

I'd be delighted to hear if you change your policies, and having spent 40 years in software development, I entirely respect your current rationale, but for the moment I wouldn't be prepared to invest the upfront and ongoing costs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

The good news is you are actively investing in enhancing JRiver, with many chargeable upgrades, paying once for each version upgrade may make sense.  But even if I bought two licences initially, paying twice for each upgrade pushes the proposal into - not affordable territory.
That development costs significant money.  You don't ever have to upgrade, but if you do it early in the cycle, it's discounted.  It was $18.98 last cycle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up