INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfers all data at the beginning  (Read 1033 times)

v_erich

• World Citizen
Transfers all data at the beginning
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »

Hi,
version 27 still transfers all data at the beginning of a song even when the checkbox for playback from ram is disabled.
My low power CPU is not capable sometimes of the extra load and is then stuttering for 1-2 seconds, very annoying.

BR
Erich

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

version 27 still transfers all data at the beginning of a song even when the checkbox for playback from ram is disabled.
My low power CPU is not capable sometimes of the extra load and is then stuttering for 1-2 seconds, very annoying.
If you don't have Memory Playback enabled, then it may just be that your system is too slow to handle playback.
Running Help → Benchmark and posting your JRMark score, while including details about the track you are trying to play might be helpful. (DSD? 24/192 PCM? etc.)

I would try changing the pre-buffering setting and see if that helps.
Tools → Options → Audio → Settings → Prebuffering
Either try increasing it to 20s or reduce it to 2s and see if either extreme helps.
The "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization" setting may also help.

If none of that does, it might be useful if you download and install Process Explorer and take a screenshot of the performance graph for Media Center when you start playback.

This might give JRiver a better idea of the problem, though I have tried demonstrating it many times before.
This post has an example of what that should look like.
It would probably be best to set the program to update every 0.5s before you start, and then let a few tracks play until the graph is full.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:01:31 am »

@6233638:

I see the data transfer over network is around 200MByte/s for a short time at the beginning of the song, then it is zero (i can disconnect the LAN cable and the song plays until the end).
I wrote this also to the previous version, but no reaction from JRiver.
So I do not want to write 5 times the same only because nobody is interested in this report.

My CPU is powered down in BIOS so there is not so much calculation power (because it sounds better - please no discussion).

BR
Erich

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:14:21 am »

That sounds like you have Memory Playback enabled.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Transfers all data at the beginning
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:05:06 am »

I had this problem when I started using 176/24 and 2x DSD on a old, slow Netbook that is fetching tracts from a drive attached to a server. Ethernet is hard wired through the AC lines. I decreased prebuffering to 2 seconds, Switch Tracks: Standard (Gapped) to .5 seconds, and Play Silence At Startup to 3 seconds and it now works. Changing the buffering time in the Device Settings did not seem to have any effect.  This is with play from memory off. I had to adjust all of these to get it to work correctly, but it works very consistently now. I still cannot use the media server with these large files. It works most of the time, but glitches sometimes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up