INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with SACD ISO playback on JRiver MC 19  (Read 5573 times)

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
Issues with SACD ISO playback on JRiver MC 19
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »

Hello All,

Could really use some help here - I used to be able to play my SACD .ISO files on the fly quite happily to my M2TECH You oung DAC which of course, would be down sampled to 352KHz but it would work quite well and with no issues other than the occasional hang due to the PC having processing issues.

Now however and I don't know what has changed as far as the setup other than this maybe got broken by one of the many updates in the last 4-6 months, I keep getting the following error message:

Playback could not be started using the format: 0Hz 64bit 2ch.

This format would work: 48kHz 64bit 2ch

What is odd, is that it no longer converts to a usable format on the fly like it used to and not only that, but it is only offering a humble 48kHz sample rate when I know I used to be able to get a lot more from the SACD .ISO files using the same DAC hardware.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going wrong and what settings I need to change? I have looked at the DSP Studio settings and have Input Greater than 384, 000Hz set to 192kHz and still refuses to play and gives the above error message. I am using the YOUNG Kernel Streaming device if this has any bearing on things - but I am sure I have used this audio device driver just fine in the past...

Appreciate any help in advance all!!!

Cheers,
Vin.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with SACD ISO playback on JRiver MC 19
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »

They added 352.8kHz, 384kHz, and >384kHz options a while back.
SACD used to be set by >192kHz, and is now set by 352.8kHz.

I suspect that you are not using the latest version, since there was a bug introduced when this change was made that tried to output "0Hz" with 352.8kHz and 384kHz if they are set to "No Change".

Updating to the latest version, or setting 352.8kHz to output "352.8kHz" (or whatever rate your DAC supports) should fix it.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:20:49 pm »

They added 352.8kHz, 384kHz, and >384kHz options a while back.
SACD used to be set by >192kHz, and is now set by 352.8kHz.

I suspect that you are not using the latest version, since there was a bug introduced when this change was made that tried to output "0Hz" with 352.8kHz and 384kHz if they are set to "No Change".

Updating to the latest version, or setting 352.8kHz to output "352.8kHz" (or whatever rate your DAC supports) should fix it.

Thanks for the feedback. I am indeed using the latest JRiver MC 19 being 19.0.146, as I am pretty good with keeping current. My DAC can go as high as 384kHz - so I have everything set to 'no change apart' from the 'Greater than 384,000' setting which I have set to lower values and I still continue to get the above message.

I know this has worked in the past with the same PC, same connections and same DAC. So something must have changed with one of the builds to have affected things? Should I be using a different device driver to be able to play these higher SACD ISO files?

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:52 pm »

The latest version is 19.0.163 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91040.0
The issue with "0Hz" output was fixed in 19.0.150

You are probably on the most recent "stable" version rather than the latest.
This can be changed with: Help → Update Channels → Latest

As I said above, if you set the 352/384kHz output to "352/384kHz" rather than "No Change" it should also work, if you don't want to move off the "stable" update branch.

1x DSD (DSD64fs, SACD) is now set by 352.8kHz not the >384kHz option.
It has always been 352.8kHz internally, but that used to be covered by >192kHz until higher sample rate options were added.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »

The latest version is 19.0.163 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91040.0
The issue with "0Hz" output was fixed in 19.0.150

You are probably on the most recent "stable" version rather than the latest.
This can be changed with: Help → Update Channels → Latest

As I said above, if you set the 352/384kHz output to "352/384kHz" rather than "No Change" it should also work, if you don't want to move off the "stable" update branch.

1x DSD (DSD64fs, SACD) is now set by 352.8kHz not the >384kHz option.
It has always been 352.8kHz internally, but that used to be covered by >192kHz until higher sample rate options were added.

You are a superstar!!!  :) - Setting the greater than 352/384 values to their equivalent worked!!! - Would it make sense for me to move to the latest 163 build or should I stick with the stable version ?

Also, how can I import/recognize the .ISO files - Is there a setting in MC 19 to automatically recognize the import of these SACD .ISO files? I performed a library update and it doesn't seem to locate and bring in tracks for the .ISO files...

Thanks again!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:59 am »

19.0.163 should be the stable version.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 02:22:41 am »

Also, how can I import/recognize the .ISO files - Is there a setting in MC 19 to automatically recognize the import of these SACD .ISO files? I performed a library update and it doesn't seem to locate and bring in tracks for the .ISO files...
Tools → Import → Configure Auto-Import
Check that DSD is enabled for your music directory.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:49:40 am »

19.0.163 should be the stable version.

Thanks. Any reason why it doesn't update to this version then with the stable option selected?

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:14 am »

Thanks. Any reason why it doesn't update to this version then with the stable option selected?
Please try again.  The server file was set wrong.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:04 pm »

Please try again.  The server file was set wrong.

Thank you - Updated to the latest version just fine and now also works where I set the 352 and 384 to 'No Change', which is how I would expect it to operate with those settings.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 04:48:27 pm »

Tools → Import → Configure Auto-Import
Check that DSD is enabled for your music directory.

Thanks. I did have the DSD file setting and was not importing for some reason - I then went in and set the data file option to find .ISO files and all the albums came in just fine.

The only remaining issue I have, is that when I import the SACD .ISO files which contain both 2 channel and 6 channel audio, I am importing both sets and end up with double the tracks. Ideally, I only want to be able to view and play the 2 channel audio. Is there a way to prevent the 6 channel tracks from coming in, or do I simply ignore the 6 channel files and it is what it is...? Would appreciate any tips on handling this scenario if possible...

Thanks again everyone!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »

Thanks. I did have the DSD file setting and was not importing for some reason - I then went in and set the data file option to find .ISO files and all the albums came in just fine.

The only remaining issue I have, is that when I import the SACD .ISO files which contain both 2 channel and 6 channel audio, I am importing both sets and end up with double the tracks. Ideally, I only want to be able to view and play the 2 channel audio. Is there a way to prevent the 6 channel tracks from coming in, or do I simply ignore the 6 channel files and it is what it is...? Would appreciate any tips on handling this scenario if possible...

Thanks again everyone!

Just erase the 6 channel tracks and they won't import again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »

Just erase the 6 channel tracks and they won't import again.

That was easy!  ;D - Thanks Matt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up