INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home multi-room video/audio solution  (Read 6618 times)

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
Home multi-room video/audio solution
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »

I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to have a central server that can play video (movies, live tv) to every tv in the house, and audio to every room in the house.

Video seems simple enough, I'll have a server (with a tv tuner) connected to a media player in each room that is connected to the tv. Still unsure of what media player will allow me to use theatre view on the tv controlled by a remote such as the Logitech harmony or a smartphone.

For audio, i'm unsure of what needs to be done. I've done some research on multi-room amps and it seems as if each room can only have 2 speakers max, and a 12 channel amp can then power 6 rooms. I'm not sure how to build this out. Do I need a multi-channel audio card in the server? I'd like each room to be controlled both individually and at times concurrently. I would also like for it to be controlled through a tablet or smartphone, and I may even want each room to have a controller.

Any help on designing my system? From what I can tell jriver can power everything I need to do, I just need to figure out the hardware.

The house is under construction right now, all the walls are open. I have already run cat6 from the rooms to a central location and speaker wire will be done as soon as I figure out this setup.

Edit: I've been doing more research and it seems as if if would need an amplifier on the first floor with enough channels for speakers, amp on 2nd floor, and they would both connect to a 3 zone receiver with the 3rd zone going to the theatre. Not sure how this would be controlled by the server/jriver. Am I on the right track? (this is for audio)

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Home multi-room video/audio solution
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

Still unsure of what media player will allow me to use theatre view on the tv controlled by a remote such as the Logitech harmony or a smartphone.
You need a JRiver client for Theater View, so it would have to be a small PC like the NUC/BRIX.

For audio, i'm unsure of what needs to be done. I've done some research on multi-room amps and it seems as if each room can only have 2 speakers max, and a 12 channel amp can then power 6 rooms. I'm not sure how to build this out. Do I need a multi-channel audio card in the server? I'd like each room to be controlled both individually and at times concurrently. I would also like for it to be controlled through a tablet or smartphone, and I may even want each room to have a controller.
Media Center doesn't care about how channels are supposed to be assigned. You can take a 7.1 sound card or receiver (8 channels) and assign them to be two 4.0 setups, four 2.0 setups, two 2.1 and a 2.0 setup etc.
So the receiver itself would not need multi-room support if you are controlling everything via Media Center.

If you need a lot of inputs (i.e. 12) you would need either a 12-channel sound device, or perhaps you could use two 7.1 sound cards - but I would not expect content to be in sync across both cards.
Generally for anything you want to be in sync, you need to play off the same sound device. But that may work for you if each device is assigned to different floors in the house for example, or if you want separate audio in each room rather than linked playback.

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:43:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply, it cleared up a lot.

Quick search found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-Celeron-Barebones-GB-BXBT-2807/dp/B00KR0QHXW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1414634079&sr=8-12&keywords=nuc

I like the idea of NUC, I was thinking of a fire tv, but this will be more flexible.

The 1st floor will have 8 in-ceiling speakers spread out around the house so I would need one 7.1 sound card for the speakers. Can you explain how everything would connect. On the first floor the 8 speakers would connect to a 8 channel amplifier (I found the amp 1200 which has 12 channels but I will continue searching later) the amplifier would connect to the sound card which is installed in the server?

How would I go about including something like the garage system (tv, 5.1 speakers + receiver, nuc) as a zone the jriver MC can control, instead of the receiver would the garage system go into an amplifier which goes to the server?

I'm trying to understand how all of this works/fits together.

Thanks again

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:33 pm »

The 1st floor will have 8 in-ceiling speakers spread out around the house so I would need one 7.1 sound card for the speakers. Can you explain how everything would connect. On the first floor the 8 speakers would connect to a 8 channel amplifier (I found the amp 1200 which has 12 channels but I will continue searching later) the amplifier would connect to the sound card which is installed in the server?
7.1 Sound Card (DAC) → Amplifier → Speakers
or
HDMI → 7.1 Receiver → Speakers (the receiver is both a DAC and Amp)

In Media Center you can configure a single 7.1 channel device to act as several zones: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92263.msg635187#msg635187

How would I go about including something like the garage system (tv, 5.1 speakers + receiver, nuc) as a zone the jriver MC can control, instead of the receiver would the garage system go into an amplifier which goes to the server?
I assume that the setup here would be NUC → Receiver → TV, with the NUC connecting to your main server PC over a network. (preferably wired)
So the NUC would be configured to output 5.1 over its HDMI connection.

You could then either access Theater View directly on the NUC, control playback on the NUC via JRemote, or play media to the NUC from the server PC.
With more than one Media Center client, all zones show up in the "Now Playing" tree.

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:24 am »

How would audio volume be controlled, can jremote raise or lower volume when using a receiver and nuc, or only when using an amp+sound card. Would be nice to be able to control volume through both a remote and jremote.

Bookmarked that link, will help when I start configuring everything.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:24 pm »

How would audio volume be controlled, can JRemote raise or lower volume when using a receiver and nuc, or only when using an amp+sound card. Would be nice to be able to control volume through both a remote and JRemote.
You have volume control for each zone in JRemote if Media Center is set to use "internal volume".

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 01:42:33 pm »

How does that work? I'm assuming the receiver needs to connect to the network, the media center recognizes the receiver and from there I can apply zones to it and then control volume through jremote?

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:07 pm »

How does that work? I'm assuming the receiver needs to connect to the network, the media center recognizes the receiver and from there I can apply zones to it and then control volume through JRemote?
Media Center does not control the receiver, it has its own internal volume control.
This means that all it can do is attenuate the signal.

So you would set your receiver to a fixed level, probably 0dB or the loudest signal you are comfortable feeding your speakers, and then use Media Center for all volume control.

Any device (or devices) configured as a zone will have their own independent volume level.

Media Center has Volume Protection and Startup Volume features which prevent playback from starting at high playback levels, and limits the rate at which you can increase the volume to prevent you accidentally going from 0% straight to 100% volume.

The only part I would caution you with here is that you want to be sure that nothing else in Windows can play audio to that sound device, or it might play at 100% volume. However that should not be an issue if you're just using the PC as a Media Center client.

What I do is configure Media Center to play to the HDMI sound device, while Windows' default sound device is set to the on-board Realtek audio (3.5mm speaker output) that isn't connected to anything. You could also set the default sound device to the JRiver WDM driver which is a virtual sound device that captures system audio and passes it through MC's audio engine. (meaning that the Volume Protection features are still in effect)

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

Very cool. I downloaded jriver to play around with. Have it on my current server, my tablet, and my phone using gizmo. Its not as intuitive or pretty as mediabrowser3 but everything works much quicker and smoother. I don't think I'll mind the switch, i'll just have to keep playing around with media center to learn how to use everything. Got everything working well so far.

So i'd like to finalize the hardware setup so I can finish up all the wiring and close up the walls. Here is how the setup will look:

3rd floor: main server, projector+nuc+5.1 receiver
2nd floor: 1x tv+nuc+soundbar (eventually add more to each bedroom), 3x speakers on balcony, 1x tv+nuc on balcony (not sure how I would do audio, maybe have the tv go through the 3 speakers if I can also play audio through it separately from the tv, would have to play with the zones in media center and see what is possible)
1st floor: 8x in-ceiling speakers, 2x tv+nuc+soundbar (eventally add more)
garage: tv+nuc+5.1 receiver

since I have 11 speakers, I'm thinking 12 channel amp + 2x soundcard since I can't find a receiver with 12 channels. I would place that next to the main server along with the theater receiver. Garage receiver would be place in the garage.

Also, how can I control a client (my win 8.1 tablet) through gizmo on my phone? The only option on gizmo is to control the server or phone. I was trying to use my phone as a remote control and couldn't figure it out.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:18:26 am »

Is your tablet running Media Center, or some other software as a DLNA client?
If it's running MC, you should be able to control it via Gizmo/JRemote or on the server.

Check that you have the DLNA Server/Renderer/Controller options enabled in Tools → Options → Media Network → Advanced

I'm not too familiar with the Gizmo app, I'm afraid - I'm used to JRemote.
Anything running on a Media Center as a client should appear in the list of zones, as long as it's connected to your server.

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »

Ok, didn't realize I needed to set each pc to a "server" and then enter each access key to gizmo to use as a remote. I guess that makes sense. I unchecked using it to control other devices or sharing the library and only left the option to be able to control it checked.

Seems simple enough to use as long as I name the "servers" correctly.

Any input to my setup/hardware or location for devices?

Thanks for all the help

Edit: I tried downloading JRemote and noticed that its $10. There are 5 iphones in my household, will each one have to buy the app? Each person has their own apple id.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:11:51 pm »

Ok, didn't realize I needed to set each pc to a "server" and then enter each access key to gizmo to use as a remote. I guess that makes sense. I unchecked using it to control other devices or sharing the library and only left the option to be able to control it checked.
Only your main PC with the media on it will be the server.
All clients need Media Network enabled though, and you connect them to your server via File → Library → Library Manager → Add, using your access key.

Edit: I tried downloading JRemote and noticed that its $10. There are 5 iphones in my household, will each one have to buy the app? Each person has their own apple id.
I believe you may be able to purchase it once and share it on all devices with iOS8's new Family Sharing features?
Now that JRiver own the JRemote App, I think they should be making it available for free, since it doesn't do anything but act as a remote, and Gizmo is free on the Android side of things.

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:10 pm »

Ok you are correct it does work, but I can only control my tablet with my phone using the "commands" in gizmo. Whenever I choose "use device as theater view remote" it only controls the server, instead of my tablet, which shouldn't be possible at all since I unselected DLNA renderer under media network options for my server.

Also, does JRiver support symbolic links? I can't find any info on the forum and jriver won't load my .symlink files nor can it see them under explorer.

Would be nice if JRemote was free. I already have to pay $50 for media center and then I have to pay extra for remotes. I like gizmo, it works well and is very quick, I just don't like that I can't shuffle songs on my playlist.

Is it possible to see a history of who has accessed jriver and what file they played? I know I can see it real-time while someone accesses it but is that info saved where I can view it later?

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:44:36 am »

Ok you are correct it does work, but I can only control my tablet with my phone using the "commands" in gizmo. Whenever I choose "use device as theater view remote" it only controls the server, instead of my tablet, which shouldn't be possible at all since I unselected DLNA renderer under media network options for my server.
Sorry, I'm not sure as I haven't used Gizmo, and I use a controller/remote attached to the PC for Theater View control, rather than Gizmo/JRemote.
If I'm using the JRemote app to control playback, I navigate on the phone/tablet, not via Theater View.

Also, does JRiver support symbolic links? I can't find any info on the forum and jriver won't load my .symlink files nor can it see them under explorer.

Would be nice if JRemote was free. I already have to pay $50 for media center and then I have to pay extra for remotes. I like gizmo, it works well and is very quick, I just don't like that I can't shuffle songs on my playlist.

Is it possible to see a history of who has accessed jriver and what file they played? I know I can see it real-time while someone accesses it but is that info saved where I can view it later?
I think you might get better answers if you posted these questions to the MC20/Remote sections of the forum, I don't really know about these.
I do agree about the JRemote price. It's unreasonable for me to expect guests/family members to pay $10 to control my system, so I just have to pass around a device right now.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 07:56:00 am »

In order to use the theater view remote function you need to log Gizmo into the tablet rather than the server.  It sounds like you're logged into the server in Gizmo and using it as a DLNA controller to control the tablet, which I would not recommend doing.  You will get much smoother operation if you use Gizmo to connect to the tablet directly using the access key assigned to the tablet under options --> media network on the tablet.  Gizmo can leverage MC's DLNA functionality but many of gizmo's functions don't rely on DLNA at all; instead they're based on which PC gizmo is currently logged into.

If the tablet is a library client of the server you'll still see the server's library when you log into the tablet, you'll just have better control options for the tablet.  

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 10:20:43 pm »

I set up my tablet with its own access key and I'm now able to control the tablet with my phone under "use device as theatre remote". It will probably not be used anywhere near as much as just navigating and selecting through the phone but its a nice option to have.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll probably pick up jremote for $10 since I'm anxious to try it out.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 04:44:25 am »

Thanks for the reply, it cleared up a lot.

Quick search found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-Celeron-Barebones-GB-BXBT-2807/dp/B00KR0QHXW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1414634079&sr=8-12&keywords=nuc

I like the idea of NUC, I was thinking of a fire tv, but this will be more flexible.

Did I mention that I got one of these loaded with Ubuntu + MC for Linux?
Installing MC for Linux onto a Brix GB-BXBT-2807 (a consolidated guide)

If that's how you want to travel, there's plenty there for you to read up on. As with the ECS Liva Mini-BAT, I'd tend to avoid hard core High Def graphics work. Low order video and audio should work fine in an open, airy location.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

I'm going to wait for an AMD nuc-sized box that is around $120 like the ecs liva.

I wouldn't mind using Linux but that's another license I need to purchase.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »

An MC for linux license is a good bit cheaper than a Microsoft Windows license  ;)

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

True, if I was starting from scratch it would be something to look at but I already own an 8.1 license. Its a shame the web-based jriver isn't that great. I've been transitioning family members over to using jriver instead of mediabrowser3 and nobody likes the web-based app. The way things are going i'm going to have to buy a windows license, mac license, Linux license, and jremote.

Why is there not one all inclusive package?
Pages: [1]   Go Up