INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In theater view you can't esc configuring a subcription  (Read 1589 times)

Castius

• Citizen of the Universe
In theater view you can't esc configuring a subcription
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:11 am »

If you enter configure subscription. Using the esc key will exit each option menu. Unless that menu has an change/OK.
Then you are forced to hit ok. And you can't exit the whole process at any point.

This feels very painful when you are unsure of the questions it is asking.
You just want to exit this whole process when you can't answer. So you can come back prepared later.
But you can't

Like:
Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past.(This only works with programs where each episode has a unique name or description.)
Do not record reruns

I know what there talking about yet i barely feel like answer this question.

As a side notes.
What i really want it to do is always record and if it can't tell it's if it new or unique. Mark it as a possible repeat so i can check it later and delete it.
If there is a tuner conflict. prioritize based on a set of rules. Probable new show first or something to that effect.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: In theater view you can't esc configuring a subcription
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:02:34 pm »

The following change will appear in an upcoming build soon:

NEW: Added "Finish" and "Cancel" buttons for setup/configuration of television recording/subscription in Theater View.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Castius

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:59 pm »

Thanks!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »

Like:
1) Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past.(This only works with programs where each episode has a unique name or description.)
2) Do not record reruns

I know what there talking about yet i barely feel like answer this question.

I think this is how it works - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So 1) would be used if you want to record programs where the Series is showing reruns, like Season 1 of "Big Bang Theory". In this example you want to record/save some of those episodes you have not watched (or saved to your computer). Then once you watch it (the episode is saved to your computer) you don't want to record it again the next time it is aired. So you would say "yes" to this setting.

In 2), you never want to record any Series that is in reruns. So you would not be able to record any episodes from Seasons 1 - 7 of "Big Band Theory". You can set your subscriptions to record the Big Band Theory and it will only record the new episodes from Season 8.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:36:55 pm »

In 2), you never want to record any Series that is in reruns. So you would not be able to record any episodes from Seasons 1 - 7 of "Big Band Theory". You can set your subscriptions to record the Big Band Theory and it will only record the new episodes from Season 8.

Yaobing can confirm what the code actually does, but in all other systems that I have used your description would not be quite incorrect. Ask yourself; How does MC know a Season is in reruns?

First, I'm assuming that Reruns in MC are the same as Repeats in the PVR/DVR world. Repeats in the PVR/DVR world are programs that are flagged in the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) as Repeats. Usually, at least in Australia, programs are only flagged as Repeats in the EPG if they have been shown in the past on the same channel as the current repeat showing. Even then the programs are often not flagged as Repeats, since flagging them correctly is completely at the discretion of the TV station, and they often don't do it, since they want you to watch it again and see the commercials.

So using your example, if the user was in a location where Season 7 had never been shown, or it was shown on a different channel, even if that TV station did flag Repeats correctly, Season 7 episodes would still be recorded when the "Do not record reruns" flag was set in the recording subscription.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:33:42 pm »

Yaobing can confirm what the code actually does, but in all other systems that I have used your description would not be quite incorrect. Ask yourself; How does MC know a Season is in reruns?

The OTA TV broadcast info has a "flag" that indicates if series is a rerun (repeat) or not. Is this not correct?

Then MC reads the OTA broadcast info and if it sees the "rerun flag" it knows not to record it (if the "never record reruns" option is selected), or if 1) is selected MC looks to see if there is a matching file name already in the database, to determine whether or not to record.

I don't know where/how the "rerun" flag is added, but if it is done consistently, the skipping reruns method by reading broadcast flags would work. If it is not consistent, then I don't think MC can do much about it.

This is just my guess.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:05 pm »

The OTA TV broadcast info has a "flag" that indicates if series is a rerun (repeat) or not. Is this not correct?

Then MC reads the OTA broadcast info and if it sees the "rerun flag" it knows not to record it (if the "never record reruns" option is selected), or if 1) is selected MC looks to see if there is a matching file name already in the database, to determine whether or not to record.

I don't know where/how the "rerun" flag is added, but if it is done consistently, the skipping reruns method by reading broadcast flags would work. If it is not consistent, then I don't think MC can do much about it.

This is just my guess.

As per the rest of my post, the flag is in the EPG data. It may also be in the Now and Next data included in the transmission stream, but as far as I know MC does not read the Now and Next data at all. Therefore, it must rely on the EPG data it already has. The quality of EPG sources varies a lot. The Rerun flag is not consistently added, at least in Australia. YMMV.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Castius

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »

This is a bit off topic. But this what i think about that option in JMC context.

Even my cable DVR messes this up now and again.
With JRiver having to rely on so many types of data and locations. I don't even know if i want to answer that question.
Even after i have read and understand what it means.

I think the first and recommended option should be. Tag with firstRun rerun tags. (Reruns will be set to tuner lower priority)
With JMC i can control what i see and when i delete shows.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:11:53 pm »

"Do not record Reruns" option depends on EPG source for flags.

If in doubt, choose "Don't use this options (record all shows)".

I have seen two kinds of flags in EPG, depending on the source of it.  One is a flag "Previously shown".  If we see this flag, we treat the show as a "rerun".  Another flag is "Initial air date" (something to that effect).  If that date is before current date, it is treated as a rerun.

If EPG does not contain either flag, we treat the show as new show, and will record it regardless of your choice.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Castius

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »

That sounds like what i would expect.
I only worry about this part. (This only works with programs where each episode has a unique name or description)
I can see that happening and having more false positives than i want. So i would like to know that it defaults to record if that happens.

Is "Previously shown" or  "Initial air date" put in the recorded file tags?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up