INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-upgrade to .27 took over sound output  (Read 3109 times)

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Auto-upgrade to .27 took over sound output
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:06 am »

This morning .21 prompted me to upgrade and it went up to .27. When I tried to play a video, I got no sound output. Checking the sound control panel, I see a new default "Speakers" device from JRiver that is producing output (green bars fluctuating) but nothing is coming out my headphone. I reset my headphones as default and now I get audio, but the JRiver device is no longer fluctuating (not a problem currently, just don't know if that will cause issues later). Was a fun surprise to have it take over my output though.

Also, while the JRiver "Speakers" device was selected, video playback would be interrupted periodically without warning and would change to playing "Ipc" which appears to be playing any sounds produced by my PC. This was also resolved by changing the sound device back to my headphone.

I'm guessing this is from the WDM driver stuff, but I'm not seeing how to get audio to actually end up in my ear while using the JRiver output device. :P

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto-upgrade to .27 took over sound output
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »

Set the JRiver WDM driver as the default device in the Windows playback device settings.

Then make sure the correct audio output device (your ACTUAL device, not the JRiver WDM device) is selected under Options > Audio > Audio Device in MC.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:17 pm »

Thats something that should probably be in a popup or something after the update applies. :P

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »

Okay, followed instructions. Now these things happen:

Playing a video the audio is correct.
If Windows tries to make noise while video is playing, nothing happens. (Not sure if I'm happy it mutes Windows, but I can see reasoning for it)
If Windows tries to make noise while video is paused, playback switches to "Ipc" and no noise happens. Video playback is now lost and has to be started over again.
If Windows tries to make noise while video is stopped, playback switches to "Ipc" and no noise happens. I see in the sound control panel that the JRiver speaker is activating, but nothing comes out the headphones.
Switching sound control panel back to headphones restores Windows audio and JRiver stops trying to play "Ipc".

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:19 pm »

Even with audio switched back to my headphones in the Windows control panel, MC is still ditching my video when paused and switching to trying to play Ipc. Although now it says "Opening" instead of incrementing a time counter.

Edit: yeah, I can't find a way to pause video now without losing it to Ipc.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.0 please read the post-it all of your issues are addressed there a number of times. After you set the driver as default all sound will go through JRiver. No JRiver, no sound.

Simple steps check you did not change your output device. That will stays the same in JRiver.

Makes sure the driver is set to default in windows (this handles external input)

Make sure JRiver or mediaserver.exe is loaded before you run external programs

Sync your audio and video (see main post).

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

Wow, this makes me want to revert to 19 if a random update is going to prevent me from watching video until I figure out which step I'm missing from a thread on the forums... Perhaps this should have defaulted to being off and then those interested in it could enable it as desired? As is, audio on my PC is pretty borked. I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it from the thread tomorrow.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »

If you want to revert it, all you need to do is to change your default output device back to whatever you had it set to previously in the Windows playback device options.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

Even with audio switched back to my headphones in the Windows control panel, MC is still ditching my video when paused and switching to trying to play Ipc. Although now it says "Opening" instead of incrementing a time counter.

Edit: yeah, I can't find a way to pause video now without losing it to Ipc.

This sounds like an issue I had. In my case it was a small app that I had running the background to solve the "silent stream bug". The app was called:
AVR Audio Switch Fix

OR

AVR Guard

Do you either of those installed, or the equivalent?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:18:29 pm »

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 06:23:36 pm »

Wow, this makes me want to revert to 19 if a random update is going to prevent me from watching video until I figure out which step I'm missing from a thread on the forums... Perhaps this should have defaulted to being off and then those interested in it could enable it as desired? As is, audio on my PC is pretty borked. I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it from the thread tomorrow.

Seems obvious.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:51 am »

That's the exact issue fitbrit. I'm not sure what else on my computer would be using the driver. I'm not running the AVR app.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:12 am »

K, here's my state using http://inception.davepedu.com/ to test. MC is set to point to my headphones in Options->Audio->Audio Device. I only have the default "Player" Zone (and "There").

MC Off
   Sound control panel set to headphones
      Inception comes out headphones
   Sound control panel set to JRiver
      The JRiver device shows activation, but no sound in headphones
MC On - Not playing
      Inception comes out headphones
      The JRiver device shows activation, but no sound in headphones
      MC adds "Ipc" to playing now, attempts to play it - status bar shows "Opening..."
      Eventually status bar returns to normal "JRiver Media Center 20"
MC On - Playing Video with audio
      Video audio comes out headphones (Windows Sound control panel does not see activation)
      Inception sound is not audible and does not activate control panel
      Video audio comes out headphones (Windows Sound control panel does not see activation)
      Inception sound is not audible but activates JRiver device in control panel
MC On - Video Paused
      Inception sound is not audible and does not activate control panel
      After a few seconds, MC kills video display, MC reverts to library display, shows Ipc for a second but no "Opening..."
         Once MC on library screen, Inception button plays through headphones
      Pressing Inception button kills video display, MC reverts to library display, tries to open Ipc as in the MC On - Not playing state
      Sound panel shows JRiver device activating, but no sound in headphones.

Looking at the log, it looks like MC is saying "eff you paused video, Ipc wins!".

0004696: 3492: General: CMCUICore::SetMode: Start
0004696: 3492: General: CMCUICore::SetMode: Setting UI mode: 2
0004696: 7496: Playback: CDXPlayerWindow::Load: Start
0004696: 7928: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoUpdateThread::Thread: Start
0004696: 7496: Playback: CDShowFilterGraph::SetOwnerWindow: Window: 153C3008 (valid: 1)
0004696: 7928: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoUpdateThread::Thread: Zone: Player (id: 0)
0018221: 7928: Playback: CBitrateMonitor::UpdateBitrate: Accum audio bytes 863, video bytes 82664, time period 1637.8767678620320112 ms, bitrate 400000
0020389: 7928: Playback: CBitrateMonitor::UpdateBitrate: Accum audio bytes 16387, video bytes 195228, time period 2166.0077860585256531 ms, bitrate 776000
[repeats]
0056067: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Start
0056067: 7928: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoUpdateThread::Thread: Finish (51371 ms)
0056067: 7188: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoLoadImageThread::Thread: Start
0056067: 7188: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoLoadImageThread::Thread: Image: 00000000
0056067: 7188: Playback: CPlayerZoneDisplayInfoLoadImageThread::Thread: Finish (0 ms)
0056082: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Handling exclusive playback zones
0056082: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Getting actual playback track
0056082: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Processing play for 'live://ipc?pipe=0000028C&streaming=1'
0056082: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Updating internal track info
0056082: 3492: Playback: CPlayerZone::Play: Playing: <XMLFN version="1.0"><Item Name="Filename">live://ipc?pipe=0000028C&amp;streaming=1</Item><Item Name="PlaylistIndex">0</Item><Item Name="AlbumSequentialWithLastTrack">0</Item><Item Name="SampleRate"></Item><Item Name="VolumeReset">0</Item><Item Name="Channels"></Item><Item Name="ErrorFreeMode">1</Item><Item Name="VolumePeakLevels"></Item><Item Name="MediaType">Audio</Item><Item Name="DatabaseKey">8229</Item><Item Name="VolumeTrackMaxSafeGain">-1</Item><Item Name="Bitrate"></Item><Item Name="Bookmark"></Item><Item Name="BitDepth"></Item><Item Name="VolumeLeveling">-10</Item><Item Name="DSP"></Item><Item Name="FileType"></Item><Item Name="UserInterfaceModeChangeEventHandle">0000019C</Item></XMLFN>
0056082: 3492: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Start
0056082: 3492: Playback: CDXPlayerWindow::StopVideo: Start

Using the thread pointed to by fitbrit I was able to stumble my way through making a new zone, directing its output to Null, and sending Ipc to it. That appears to have stopped MC from hijacking my paused video, but has resulted in killing Windows audio (email notifications, etc).

I tried setting my new zone ("WDM") to output to my headphones, but Windows audio is still gobbled up when video is paused. On library screen, windows audio works fine. I disabled exclusive access on both zones to no avail.

Ooooh, looks like if I go back to having my headphones be the default audio device and then disable exclusive access in the Player and WDM zones, I get video that doesn't die when paused and my Windows audio comes through the headphones. Have to say, this was quite the ordeal getting MC to work post-patch the same as it did pre-patch.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

Bah, looks like after being paused for awhile I lose the audio in the Player zone. WDM zone shows Ipc still playing and Windows audio is fine.

Edit: I'm trying .30 now since there seem to be some relevant changes.

Edit: Still lose audio after being paused for a period. My "WDM" Zone doesn't appear to be being populated with an Ipc file anymore though, which is different from .27. I've now reverted back to .21. I'll try again in the future.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:33 pm »

Options->Audio->Audio Device
  it just says audio device or does it say Default Audio device (Direct Sound)? if so thats probably the problem http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg640383#msg640383

If not what is the audio device called?

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:44 pm »

It's Bluetooth Audio Device [WASAPI]. That's what it was in .27 and .30, and still is now that I'm back in .21 (where everything is working fine again). It used to be Default Audio Device [Direct Sound] before I changed it in .27.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:58 pm »

You might test without Bluetooth first, then move on.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:34 pm »

I can't see why that would matter since the headphones are behaving properly with Windows (when MC stops the audio on the video, Windows sounds go to the headphones fine), but I'll try hardwired headphones next time I try upgrading. I'm okay with .21 for now. I'll try upgrading again once a few more releases come out.

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 01:02:38 pm »

I can't see why that would matter since the headphones are behaving properly with Windows (when MC stops the audio on the video, Windows sounds go to the headphones fine), but I'll try hardwired headphones next time I try upgrading. I'm okay with .21 for now. I'll try upgrading again once a few more releases come out.
A lot of people here use JRiver specifically to not go through Windows for sound quality reasons. If the bluetooth driver requires using the Windows mixer to operate, which is possible, it would be worth it to rule this out. You can also simply be on 30, and just set the default driver in Windows back to where it was, you don't have to use it

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:32 pm »

When I was having the issue with the sound disappearing while video was paused in .30, that was with Windows having the Bluetooth speakers set as the default driver.

I'll go back to 30 real quick and try one more time.

Edit: Upgrading from .21 to .30 resulted in no JRiver driver in the Sound control panel at all. :P Initial playback errored out, had to change the Audio Device back to direct sound. I suspect everything will work fine for me now, but looks like MC is in a weird state. Video is paused now, will see if audio remains in a bit.

Edit2: Everything is fine now with .30, but like I said, there's no JRiver driver installed now, so I'd expect it to be fine. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up