INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle and remove duplicates not responding in large Audio Playlists  (Read 2279 times)

BPT40

• Recent member

Media Center 20.0.39 will not shuffle or remove duplicates on large playlists (800 songs), media center freezes and hangs up. On smaller playlists (40 or so songs) everything works fine. Never had this problem on earlier versions.  I've been able to shuffle playlists of 200 songs with no problems, including playlists made with earlier versions of MC and also new playlists. I made a new playlist with MC20 of about 800 songs and it plays with no problems but I can't shuffle or remove duplicates. I use JRiver mostly for audio and have always worked with 3 or 4 large playlists. The program freezes and I get the "media center is not responding" message then "Media Center 20 has stopped working" whenever I try to shuffle or remove duplicates from the larger playlists. I love the new WDM Driver and the other MC 20 upgrades and don't want to return to MC19. My computer is 1 yr old with SSD and all other programs works as they should. Any suggestions of what the problem could be ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Shuffle and remove duplicates not responding in large Audio Playlists
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:20:39 am »

This is a really confusing issue.  Shuffle should work fine regardless of the number of files.  I have 5000 and it's instant.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:45:27 am »

I put 183710 files in Playing Now.  A reshuffle takes two seconds.  That's pretty good.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »

Hi, I  also put a large number of songs (1000) in Playing now and reshuffle works fine. Now with Version 20.0.40 my larger existing playlists won't even play, shuffle or remove duplicates, the program hangs. Smaller existing playlists (about 200 songs or less ) everything works fine. I have my music files (27,600 +/-) stored in about 100 folder locations all on the same HD.
    I just tried putting about 800 random songs  from various folders into a new playlist and everything worked as it should. It seems to be a problem with my larger playlists brought forward from earlier versions MC 18 & 19. My larger playlists were working fine when I first upgraded to MC 20.
    I was able to send one of the  large playlists (847 songs): send to - drives & devices - USB stick. I then made a new playlist with the songs on usb and was able to shuffle and play that playlist.
    The problem seems to be with larger existing playlists only. Any suggestions besides starting over with my playlists or reverting to a earlier version of MC20. Thank You

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:16 pm »

Problems like this often turn out to be "security" software like antivirus.

Are the files local or on a network drive?

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply, the files are all on a local HD. The file locations haven't changed. I am also able to export the playlist files to itunes and ipod, send to devices eg usb drives. I can play individual file of same song in main library, but not if I select file from said playlists. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »

Check the playlists carefully.  They may have something in them that refers to a non-existent location.

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »

Thanks, I'll check the playlist files. If One or two files were inadvertently moved or deleted could that cause MC to hang? I also Opened up MC19 and was able to play,shuffle & delete duplicates on a large playlist that hasn't been altered in any way, but will not do any of these functions in MC20. Also is there version of MC20 that is considered most stable that I might try ?   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »

A path that doesn't exist would make Windows pause for 20 or 30 seconds.  Even from Explorer.  Try typing \\nonsense in Explorer.

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:47:04 pm »

Tried that, nothing found. I will try taking a large non functioning playlist and individually making sure each song plays from main library. Then I'll put each song in a new Duplicate playlist and see if all the functions work. Will take some time then I'll post back. Thanks for the help.   

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »

One thing I didn't make clear, I can open a large existing playlist and individually double click on every song and they will play. The problems are with the Play, Shuffle,update order,remove duplicates,lock functions. If I hit the play button to load the entire playlist in playing now the program freezes as with all these other functions, and only on large existing playlists.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »

Is this a standard playlist or a smartlist?

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

Standard Playlists

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 08:17:21 am »

Could it have something to do with the view you have for these playlists? Wondering if any calculated fields are displayed in a column or an expressions is used for the view as a filter etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up