INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless through MSB UMT Plus Transport  (Read 3344 times)

DavT

• Recent member
Gapless through MSB UMT Plus Transport
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »

I am running MC20, previously MC19 with a mac to an MSB Universal Media Transport Plus then with the I2S into a MSB Analog Dac. Sounds supper but the problem is on some recordings there are odd track changes and I would really like to run gapless. I don't think that it's possible but will ask here hoping I am wrong.
David

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gapless through MSB UMT Plus Transport
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:30:22 pm »

the problem is on some recordings there are odd track changes and I would really like to run gapless.

Please describe what you mean by "odd track changes".  That's not enough information for us to know how to answer.

Generally, you can control how tracks change using the choices available under:
Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change

If you are getting pops or clicks between tracks under some circumstances, this can be for a variety of reasons depending on your setup.  Sometimes the Play silence at startup option can help for certain DACs.  This can be enabled under:
Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Play silence at startup for hardware syncronization
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DavT

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

Antal Dorati Firebird Suites has 5 individual pieces of music ( Mercury Pressing ). When this was made into a HiRes digital download they randomly at times chopped up the five individual pieces into 29 different tracks. A passage will be going and then all of a sudden a few second gap and then back to the music. Just like gaps between songs in most any studio album. The problem is that these gaps are randomly in the middle of pieces, not at the beginning/end. This is not a problem with JRiver but a problem with how these are transferred to digital download, ( lack of care I would imagine ). When played with JRiver direct to an MSB Analog Dac with USB I can set it up with gapless and these gaps are not heard. Great.

But, the preferred way to get the best out of MSB to to run it into the MSB Universal Transport Plus then using the I2S connection into the Analog Dac bit perfect, Sounds much better. But, doing it this way, requires different setting on MC ( Media Network, enable DLNA ) and this configuration does not seem to support gapless. Also, the MSB UMT+ is an Oppo 103 based transport.
David.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 02:06:42 pm »

Whether or not a DLNA device supports gapless playback is up to the implementation of that particular DLNA device, not MC.  MC is only acting as the server then, and can't control how the device renders what it serves (or how it "pulls" data in).

So, if you're going to run it as a DLNA device, then you need to direct your question to them, not JRiver.

For what it's worth, though, I strongly suspect that your fundamental assumption about using the device is flawed...  I would not assume that using the device in this way is the "best" way.  Unless their USB driver is badly broken, when using MC to drive it as a USB device, then MC should be able to fully control the device and provide the optimal quality.

Perhaps they recommend that setup for lesser serving applications that can't make full, bit-perfect use of your device's USB interface, but MC can.

DavT

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:21:32 pm »

Boy, when I decided to use this to ask questions from JRiver, as this is the only format that is available, I did not expect to be treated so rudely by the staff of JRiver. MSB clearly has designed this system in the way described. I NEVER said that there was a problem with JRiver, I was simply asking if there was an option that I was not aware of. A simple reply that this is not something JRiver has control over would have been fine. I did not post this post or my other post to complain but to get information. I now know better and will look for alternative ways to get information. Sorry to waste your time.
David.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:08 pm »

I'm not staff.  I don't work for JRiver.  I just help with spammers and stuff on the forum.  I was taking some of my own free time to try to help you to get the answers you needed.

I didn't intend to be rude at all, and I apologize.

What I said was true, however.  MC can't control whether a DLNA device renders files they play gapless or not.  The DLNA device itself controls that.  I gave you the options that MC can control itself previously.  There are a TON of DLNA settings for devices, but none of them are for this specifically, because it is up to the rendering device.

You'll probably have better luck using it in USB mode.  If it doesn't work there, we can help you (well, the options I mentioned already will help you).  But if you want to use it in DLNA mode, then your best bet will be to ask them for support.  It looks like they recommend using MC on their website.  It might be there are certain esoteric DLNA settings you can enable to get this to work better, but they'll have to guide you, because it is controlled from "their end".

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:38:43 am »

Boy, when I decided to use this to ask questions from JRiver, as this is the only format that is available, I did not expect to be treated so rudely by the staff of JRiver. MSB clearly has designed this system in the way described. I NEVER said that there was a problem with JRiver, I was simply asking if there was an option that I was not aware of. A simple reply that this is not something JRiver has control over would have been fine. I did not post this post or my other post to complain but to get information. I now know better and will look for alternative ways to get information. Sorry to waste your time.
David.

I don't think the issue is of Glynor being rude. He has twice now taken the time (for free) to try to help you with your issues. Both of which are due to you making assumptions about what the issues is or that your current setup is the best way to do things. Consider that if either of those were true, you wouldn't have to ask questions. If you would keep an open mind and take time to read and consider his expert advice, you'll likely be happier and have a better outcome. He was also correct on both issues. I don't think you will find any expert MC users here that disagree with the advice he has given you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up