INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy  (Read 78927 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Too Easy
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

Right clicking on a track gives you

Play
Add to Playing Now
More Play Options > a few play options & lots of add options
Send To > Play in all sorts of different places (zones)

I'm still not entirely sure how the 1st level play options interact with zoneswitch and my wife/family just mash buttons til it works (they're not housebroken yet clearly).

My 1hr suggestion is to coalesce this into 2 play options (both called play), one would be effectively "play somewhere right now" (i.e. start playing this) and the other one would be "queue somewhere right now" (i.e. add to the queue of whatever is playing in that zone). Crucially make the 2 options exactly consistently with respect to menu structure and terminology used.

My guess is that this is a 1hr job because it doesn't change any functionality, it just rearranges some menus.

Consider

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

Provide a simple way to create a bunch of particles from a simple text based descriptor (e.g. a csv of that is just a list of start,end times)

Consider

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »

Expose the latency incurred by the audio chain in the dsp window somewhere, maybe in the analyser? I assume this is already known info, as the video engine must need it, that just needs to be surfaced somewhere unobtrusive.

something like current latency is x ms where x is average over the last n s or something, unless this is really a statically determined value, I don't know whether it keeps track of this in realtime or what.

Do this or similar

dean70

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 03:19:14 pm »

Amalgamate the Sync/Re-check sync functions under Portable devices. There is presently no way to run a sync via a MCWS command when a previous sync has been run without removing the device first or without clicking the Re-check sync button.

Consider

dean70

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »

Provide a simple way to create a bunch of particles from a simple text based descriptor (e.g. a csv of that is just a list of start,end times)

Or create from an export of a Chapter list  :)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 03:28:21 pm »

Automatically take a library backup every x days to a user specified directory

If it makes it fit within an hour then let x = 30 and the user specified directory = some obvious default so that some other job can run to sync that to some network location

i.e. just make it completely automatic with no user configurable options if that makes it fit in 1hr

Consider

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »

Look at Artist, Album, and Genre.  There are little arrows next to the name.  Clicking a little arrow is a link that shows a view of the matching files.

Ah thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Guess it wasn't intuitive! And it certainly doesn't seem to work properly, at least in my Classical music view.  I can click the little arrow next to "Simon Rattle" and get some albums involving Simon Rattle, but  if I then click any one of those albums I get all the classical music albums I have. Not right.

I also notice if I right click the little arrow I notice I get another menu that also has a "Links" option - but these are completely different kinds of links. So that's also confusing.

But JRemote lets you link based on any tag whatsoever just by tapping it.

Have to say I really do think making MC more usable and intuitive is quite different from asking a few power users what their pet irritations are and fixing them quickly.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 03:46:22 pm »

e.g. import chapter files such as those available from http://chapterdb.org/ and integrate them with the video file.

Use a recognised standard that's already existing and that aligns with internet database sources:
https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge-gui.html#chapterformats
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »

In TV, provide an "undo" function for deleted files.

Currently, deleting TV files via Drives and Devices > Television nukes the file rather than moving it to the Recycle Bin.

Do this or similar
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:37 pm »

e.g. import chapter files such as those available from http://chapterdb.org/ and integrate them with the video file.

Use a recognised standard that's already existing and that aligns with internet database sources:
https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge-gui.html#chapterformats
those sound like eminently sensible approaches but if we're talking a 1hr effort to establish a bridgehead then.... on the other hand, since when did 1hr hacks ever get removed from a piece of software  :P

Al ex

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 04:23:06 pm »

A button to switch from standard view right away to playing now in theater view. And same back.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

Make [Album Artist] and [Album Artist(Auto)] into List types (just as [Artist] currently is).

This would solve all the Collaboration and Multiple Artist problems that are detailed in several long threads (one within the last few months).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2014, 12:04:24 am »

A button to switch from standard view right away to playing now in theater view. And same back.

Try F11.

Also see Tools > Optons > Behavior.

Start a new thread if you need help.

Daydream

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2014, 01:56:42 am »

Keyboard hotkeys for Rename, Move & Copy Files and Fill Properties from filename. And maybe for some other Library Tools (Sub)menu functions. It takes too long to reach them. I ended up autohotkey-ing them.

Do this or similar

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:54 am »

Make [Album Artist] and [Album Artist(Auto)] into List types (just as [Artist] currently is).
This would solve all the Collaboration and Multiple Artist problems that are detailed in several long threads (one within the last few months).
I would say that the better solution is to make [Album Artist (auto)] smarter, not turn the fields into list types.
There should only be one value in Album Artist - that's the point of the field.

However, since the most recent changes I've had to abandon [Album Artist (auto)] completely and manually fill out [Album Artist] for the majority of my albums, as the recent changes just throw everything into (Multiple Artists) now.

Arindelle

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2014, 05:37:07 am »

please don't, this is a key field. Just make list fields that autopopulate each other ... like a a custom field [Album Artists] => calculated data
Code: [Select]
[album artist]&datatype=[list]. Although I admit, messing with the database key fields is not for new users and shouldn't be too intuitive. OK my opionion only, but it is controversial  ;D

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2014, 07:07:35 am »

Make the Search field in the upper right - 2 inches wide instead of 1 inch. (Or make it size-able)

oh yes please please please. Now results with longer names/titles are cut short.

And a dröp down list of recent searches (just like we all are used to in Windows file explorer search box) These two together makes a huge plus in ease of use. IMHO.

Do this or similar

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2014, 07:20:25 am »

I put a button in the button toolbar that takes me directly to theater view.

In theater view I just hit escape until I pop back to normal view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 08:45:22 am »

Make the Search field in the upper right - 2 inches wide instead of 1 inch. (Or make it size-able)

Next build:
Changed: The search box is wider when there's a lot of available width.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:36 am »

Automatically take a library backup every x days to a user specified directory

If it makes it fit within an hour then let x = 30 and the user specified directory = some obvious default so that some other job can run to sync that to some network location

i.e. just make it completely automatic with no user configurable options if that makes it fit in 1hr

MC does make automatic backups.  And the path is configurable in Options.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 09:43:55 am »

How about?

Implement:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Run First Use Import on Empty Libraries

Defaults ON, but can be turned off globally.  When disabled, MC doesn't do the First Use scan.  I don't care what you call it.

Then everyone shuts up about it and we can stop hearing about the countdown all the time.

move the countdown timer to the middle of the mc window where it is obvious.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

don't automatically change the data resource files.

I have to keep two versions of the "artistsearch" file in default resources and invariably forget to reload it after an update.  If it was a brand new install I could understand it, but an update should leave data files that the user has manually updated.

Another example is header listings.  For example I changed the view on Artists because I did not like your layout, but my custom view gets overwritten every time.  This actually happens randomly even without an update for this particular problem. 

One strange thing it only effects "Artists" and not the other views I have updated.  Don't know why.  Started a few updates back.

Another thing you may consider is a downloadable database area where users could put in views and files they have compiled for things like "artistview" as this would be much more advantageous than starting from scratch.

gottwavo

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:36 am »

Under Help or even better in the first level of the menu add a menu button "new/improved in this version" with a link on how to use the respective feature and below list all the past changes.

Do this or similar.  Link to New Features thread on the forum?

This eliminates to visit the support forum (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92936.0) and look for things there.
Users get to know new things faster, easier and learn how to use them or not use them.
I personally think MC is already easy to use.

Edit: One thing I never understood and did not take time to learn is the zones concept. And I even don't know if I need this feature or how it could help me. I am sure there are more things in MC that user do not know or understand and if they would MC would be too easy.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

Under Help or even better in the first level of the menu add a menu button "new/improved in this version" with a link on how to use the respective feature and below list all the past changes.

The start page links to the new features thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90659.0

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2014, 12:43:17 pm »

don't automatically change the data resource files.

I have to keep two versions of the "artistsearch" file in default resources and invariably forget to reload it after an update.  If it was a brand new install I could understand it, but an update should leave data files that the user has manually updated.
Create a new folder in \Data\ named 'Custom Resources' and put your ArtistSearch.txt file in there. MC will use your custom file always, and won't over write it when you update.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

"Recent Searches"?
Option to access what youve searched for before in pop up list.

You can save and load searches now.  Use the widget on the left of the search box.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2014, 02:37:27 pm »

Thanks Marco,

But to be clear, you are saying MC looks in the Custom Resources folder first?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »

But to be clear, you are saying MC looks in the Custom Resources folder first?

Yes.  Custom trumps Default.

flac.rules

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2014, 03:07:16 pm »

I am not sure what is the default anymore, but I think it might be easier for newcomers if the default on double click is add to playing now and play, instead of clearing the whole list.

Do this or similar

I also think double clicking on the album name in the audio-view should play the album.

Do this or similar

flac.rules

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:01 pm »

I don't know if it actually makes anything easier, but maybe the scrollbar look in the start-screen should be consistent with the rest of the program?

Al ex

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2014, 04:22:21 pm »

All seen movies (number of plays > 0) shown with grey background.

Do this or similar

Al ex

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »

Publish your movie list to your friends via Internet (ID PWD protected eventually). I like to invite friends to a movie evening. Have 1000+ movies, don't know what to select. They shall propose something :-)

panamac

• Recent member
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

- Tree & View -> Thumbnails -> Capture video thumbnails at X seconds could be changed to capture thumbnail at X% of playtime (at the moment thumbs for files shorter than the time you specify just aren't generated)

This one is a bug so I'm not sure if it is reproducible but it has always happened for me:
- Open a playlist or library view in detail view so there is a table of tags for each file.
- Click once and then again on a field in the view in order to edit it inline.
- Sometimes the second click doesnt register to open the field for editing - I believe if you click once and then again before the tooltip file description popup thing that appears when hovering over a file entry, it never works, and if you want until it appears it always works.

Also - allow deleting or renaming files on disk from a playlist view (rename and delete are unavailable in the right click menu) - this would be indispensable for organisation, at least for me.

Consider

Thanks I like the idea of this thread!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

I'm not sure if it's 'under an hour', but I'd really like to be able to share views (Theater views, gizmo views, etc) with other libraries or people.

All computers in my home have their own library (to allow for individualized views and ratings).  If I make a change to Theater View on my machine, i have to do all that work on all machines to duplicate that view on all machines.  The other option is to restore a library with settings, which messes up various other settings, so takes about as long to get the end result, just with a different bit of work.

Good idea.  More than an hour.  We could store views on our server and allow anyone to access them.
pretend this is something funny

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:11 pm »

MC does make automatic backups.  And the path is configurable in Options.

Can you make the timing of backups user selectable? I can go weeks without changing anything, yet I get  backups  every 2 days. I always do a manual backup when I make significant changes. A weekly automatic backup would be fine for me, but I am sure many like the 2 day option.  A few option like Daily, Every 2 Days, Weekly, 2 Weeks, Monthly would be fine. It would also make people more aware that automatic backups were being done.

Arindelle

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2014, 04:18:23 am »

I'm not sure if it's 'under an hour', but I'd really like to be able to share views (Theater views, gizmo views, etc) with other libraries or people.

All computers in my home have their own library (to allow for individualized views and ratings).  If I make a change to Theater View on my machine, i have to do all that work on all machines to duplicate that view on all machines.  The other option is to restore a library with settings, which messes up various other settings, so takes about as long to get the end result, just with a different bit of work.

+1 this could be under an hour, provided that there was a way to port over the database structure (empty) at the same time without the library entries. (you need to have all fields and customizations to be the same for views to work correctly). There used to be a library clone button (where did that go btw?).

As more and more new users jump into Networked systems before they even understand how to set-up one PC, I think this would make it much more intuitive -- there are work arounds but you really need to know what you are doing

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:43 am »

All computers in my home have their own library (to allow for individualized views and ratings).  If I make a change to Theater View on my machine, i have to do all that work on all machines to duplicate that view on all machines.  The other option is to restore a library with settings, which messes up various other settings, so takes about as long to get the end result, just with a different bit of work.
I just made a guide in under an hour:  How To Save and Load Views. Let me know how it works and if I need to make any changes.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:59 am »

I just made a guide in under an hour:  How To Save and Load Views. Let me know how it works and if I need to make any changes.

I appreciate the effort.  it doesn't seem to work for Theater Views.  Also, it's a bit of 'juggling' to save to a deep directory on one machine, then copy/move to a network location they both have access to, then copy/move to the deep directory in the next computer to have access to it.

Better would be JRiver incorporating something like 'save as a local view' when connecting to the 'host' machine as a server.  Even better would be allowing the "load view" to point to a network location so I could save to my MC folder on the network, then load/open it from any/all other machines, or share with other users.

Again, not to minimize your effort/help, it's appreciated, but JRiver could make this easier/better for us.
pretend this is something funny

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2014, 09:32:15 am »

For this to work in general, you also need a way to move user defined fields, as you note.  I can save and import the View, but it is a manual task to re-create the fields. It would be nice to have a way to easily move user defined fields. I agree with JustinChase, MC should provide a better way to move views and fields from one system to another.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2014, 09:51:42 am »

option to remove duplicates in playlists by title/name of song. It would filter by file type i.e. flac, wma, mp3 etc.

More than an hour.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »

I have one:

Add a "File->Library->Connect to remote Library". Also add to right click in Tree. I know this is part of Library Manager, but it isn't intuitive currently. Combining local and remote libraries may trip some users up.

Do this or similar

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »

When importing, save the recent network folders you have imported from.  All of my media is on a network drive, and there are a handful of folders that I regularly import from (manual, not automatic).  The drop down list only includes local drive items so I always have to hunt for the network folder to import from.

Do this or similar

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2014, 03:28:41 pm »

One button toggle between sound drivers (for those of us that use JRiver mostly with Entertainment Center HDMI out but sometimes at desk computer with local speakers).

Perseverance wins out in the end!

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

One button toggle between sound drivers (for those of us that use JRiver mostly with Entertainment Center HDMI out but sometimes at desk computer with local speakers).
That's what Zones are for.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zone

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

One for the Mac version:

Please make Tools / Send to / Send to (external) work.
(See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91167.msg626686#msg626686)

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »

Never used the zones feature - thanks for the tip!
Perseverance wins out in the end!

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2014, 02:34:38 pm »

An Option with default to current behavior, to:

Not change Standard View display to "Recently Imported" playlist after an Import.

(That would save me from having to click BACK after every Import, in order to return to what I was doing.)

Do this or similar

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »

Ability to run "auto-import" on files selected in Windows Explorer, and just on those files.

If shell integration is on, you can do this now.  Maybe I don't understand your request.

Goatshade

« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »

I have no idea whether or not this can be accomplished in an hour, but add the ability to create particles based not only on a window of time, but also on the chapters within a given video file. This would greatly help when dealing with concert footage as well as ripped DVD's and BD's of TV series that have been authored to include all of their episodes in one long, chapter-separated title.

Also, the ability to duplicate existing particles to implement minor changes from the originals would be nice.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

Okay Jim,
You now have a 100+ "under an hour" programming requests. Is this what you had in mind when you offered?  :o
Do you have a projection as to when all this work will be completed?  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up