INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ongoing problems with Audioquest Dragonfly (original version)  (Read 2999 times)

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
Ongoing problems with Audioquest Dragonfly (original version)
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:54:40 am »

Folks,

Am using J River 20.0.27 with a Dragonfly, but this problem has recurred with several earlier versions as well. What happens is that sporadically I get an error message that says "Playback could not be started on the output WASAPI using the format 44.1khz2ch" (or whatever the bitdepth is.) happens with all usb ports, and irrespective of whether "event style" and "open device for exclusive control are selected." I have changed the output to Direct Sound rather than WASAPI and for the moment it's working, but it also seems to auto-select WASAPI on me sometimes when I reboot. Server runs Win 7 64-bit.

Any ideas wassup? Could it be a flaky Dragonfly?  At the moment I don't really mind if I need to use Direct Sound rather than WASAPI but this is the wife's system and I do need it to be totally stable for purposes of marital bliss. :) Thanks in advance!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ongoing problems with Audioquest Dragonfly (original version)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:32 am »

I can't think how WASAPI could get selected if you have it set to something else.

Is it possible you have MC19 and MC20 both installed and your wife is starting the wrong one sometimes?

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:36 am »

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply - I did uninstall 19, but I should have been more clear, I think that happened after I installed a new build of version 20. Anyway I am not too worried about that, the bigger issue is whether I'll keep getting that error message and, somewhat less importantly for now, whether it should be stable with WASAPI. FWIW I use 20 in several servers and machines, and with the exception of this one, it has been rock-solid. So I am really suspecting some issue specific to the Dragonfly, but any thoughts you might have would be much appreciated.

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:49 am »

Woops, I lied - I did not uninstall 19 from  that machine. I will do so now, and let's forget about that issue of course - but if you have any ideas about the error message when using WASAPI that would be great. TIA

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »

Woops, I lied - I did not uninstall 19 from  that machine. I will do so now, and let's forget about that issue of course - but if you have any ideas about the error message when using WASAPI that would be great. TIA
you don't have to uninstall 19, just make sure the server or the UI is not auto loading on win startup in 19s options. I bet thats where the issue is ... happened to me before

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:49:56 am »

Thanks. I have no need for 19 to be in there in any case so I got rid of it. But I had put 20 in the startup group so I am sure that was not the problem. I am going to start over in a few days, possibly along with manually selecting the bit depth, and give it another try. The funny thing is that I had used it set to WASAPI for some weeks with no trouble.

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 06:37:18 pm »

I seem to have it working now on WASAPI with the following settings:

Open Device for exclusive access ON
Disable Event Style ON

BitDepth 24-bit integer

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:30 am »

Unfortunately I need to follow up on this again - now with 20.0.63 I am again sporadically seeing the "cannot start playback" issue with the above settings. I can set it to use Kernel Streaming or Direct Sound, but thought I'd ask if anyone can share any thoughts about what to tweak so it's stable with WASAPI with this DAC. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up