INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC & W7 32-bit versus 64-bit  (Read 1814 times)

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
MC & W7 32-bit versus 64-bit
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

Hello,

I am currently running MC on a Dell Optiplex 755 that came preloaded with 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and 4GB RAM. I intend to build/purchase a fanless PC to replace the Optiplex. Would I notice an appreciable improvement in performance if I installed 64-bit Windows 7 and more RAM? The Optiplex runs only MC and I have disabled/optimized the system services in an attempt to extract maximum performance. To date, I have had no playback issues. As such, I am contemplating cloning the current drive and migrating it to the new PC as is. That said, any input re: advantages of a 64-bit system would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Tim

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC & W7 32-bit versus 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »

Search the forum. This exact question has been asked and answered many times.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »

There really aren't any advantages for JRiver. However, there are advantages for other programs and there really is no need to install a 32-bit OS anymore if you are starting fresh.

Is there any point in running a 64 bit OS

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:28:53 pm »

One thing that I am running into (Not related to MC directly) is that I'm now planning to upgrade my system's drive capacity by switching out my 1TB drives for 4TB drives. But Windows can't boot from a drive over 2.2TB unless you have a MB with UEFI, and Windows must be 64 bit to use UEFI. Fortunately this is not going to be a problem for me since I use a separate boot drive (a SSD). But if Media Center doesn't care if you go x32 or x64, you might as well go x64 in case you want to boot from large drives in the future.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408
Pages: [1]   Go Up