INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buffering issues with JRemote 3.09 / ipad mini / mc 20 for linux [SOLVED]  (Read 2193 times)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen

[cross posted here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93168.0]

Is anyone experiencing buffering issues over the internet? JRemote 3.09 connected to jriver linux latest version 20.0.33
Buffering of the current playing track stops before the whole track has been transferred to the ipad; hence playback stops mid song.
Transcoding is disabled, so this is (mostly) 16/44 flacs.
In the past I've had no issues with an entire album as a single ~350mb flac file - no changes have been made as far as I'm aware.
I dont know how the buffering is controlled - there's plenty of storage space on the ipad (circa 6 gig free). Is there a way or a need to clear out temporary files? (i.e. all the songs I've been listening to, I assume on track change the previous track file wherever it resides is removed from the ipad)
I realise there are many variables at play here and my internet connection will not match anyone elses.
But this had worked perfectly so something somewhere has changed, just trying to rule out JRemote itself.
many thanks
Robert
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: buffering issues with JRemote 3.09 / ipad mini / mediacenter 20 for linux
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:15:07 pm »

So i've killed a couple of apps running on my linux box (firefox and a couple of others) that didnt need to be open.
and reinstalled jremote on the ipad, but both to no avail.
Thing is, the buffering is not consistent. I can often play a complete song if I click next then prev to return to it. But then the next track will fail to load completely. It's almost like it's running out of space. I can see the buffering progress slowly fill across then it'll either make it to 100% or stop part way. It's just buffered 4:30 mins without issue, click next, 6:15 mins, only buffered 2:45 of it. Then click next and prev to return, achieved 3:03.
So would anyone have any ideas why the buffering can suddenly stop like that? As up until that point, the progress bar moves at a steady pace, there doesnt appear to be any stop/start/stuttering. Just start .... steady pace .... stop.
Any thoughts please? thanks
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:16:03 am »

No comments?
Does anyone know how the buffering is supposed to work on the ipad, does it know how many bytes needs to be received to obtain the whole file? under what circumstances will buffering stop?
is this a bug in jremote?
thanks

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:20:12 am »

Rather than click "next track" for 9/10 tracks due to buffering issues, I've been forced to enable transcoding to 320 kbps mp3. Buffering issues have reduced to 1/10 but still fails on occasion.
1. i want the flacs to stream, i dont want to be forced to use mp3's just to save bandwidth
2. surely this should be working, is there really no one else out there using jremote over the internet?
thanks, Robert

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:52:58 am »

Are you using a mobile network or wifi when connecting?
I have never actually tried streaming FLAC files over mobile, mainly because I have to pay for it.

It depends on a number of variables I guess, most importantly 3G/4G speed and your internet upload speed.

Could very well be a limitation in the audio framework that`s used by JRemote. I will need to test myself and get back to you.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:17:39 am »

Hi, thanks for the reply, this is wifi not 3g/4g (yes that could get expensive!)
Upload speed from home is ~8mbps, download at work via wired connection is ~ 60mbps - I dont know what the wifi equivalent is.
I appreciate this is really hard to check as there are so many variables at play here. I guess I need to try somewhere else with wifi to see if there are any problems (tried at the pub but for some reason couldnt connect to their wifi) which at least would rule out location.
But this was definitely working just a short while ago (only a month, no issues with that 350Mb flac album or 24/192 flacs which are also relatively large mb files), I'm trying to work out what has changed.
It seems like the connection times out, so the track plays what's been buffered up until that point and then sticks.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

Don't know what's changed, but it's now working again. Currently playing track 35 of a random play list, all flacs, last one is over 12 minutes of Frank Zappa and the whole lot streaming no issues.
Given that I'm not aware the ipad has changed in any way, and my machine @ home too, this has to be "the internet" or some internal corporate wifi thing, who knows?
will continue to monitor ......

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:32:30 am »

Yesterday streamed a 20 minute flac, and today a whole hour flac without issue, so whatever it was, seems to have gone away. I guess tick this one off as "environmental issue".
Pages: [1]   Go Up