INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to play DSD64 and DSD128 through Benchmark DAC2HGC  (Read 3094 times)

alcyst

Trying to play DSD64 and DSD128 through Benchmark DAC2HGC
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:18:15 am »

I've a MacMini, Yosemite with JRiver 20.0.29.
Trying to output DSD (2X and 4X) through USB to a DAC2HGC. I can output files (CDs ripped into lossless AIFF, high resolution files upto 19k 24 bits).

The Benchmark appears no problem in Tools/Options/Audio Device as Benchmark DAC2 USB 1.0 Audio Out, it also appears in System Preferences/Sound. Under Audio Midi Setup 96000.0Hz is the maximum.

To (fail to) get DSD;
- I press and hold both input/select buttons on the DAC2HGC
- in JRiver  Tools/Options/Settings/Bitstreaming  option DSD.
When I do that I get a message: "playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format 'DoP 2.8MHz 2ch'.

I know a little about DSD over PCM, I am not intentionally trying to convert my DSD64 to DoP.

Only other thing I can think of is I am using a 5M USB cable.

Any suggestions?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to play DSD64 and DSD128 through Benchmark DAC2HGC
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:12:36 am »

To (fail to) get DSD;
- I press and hold both input/select buttons on the DAC2HGC
Well the first thing I would suggest is to get the remote and hold down the USB button until it switches into USB Audio Class 2 mode. I find this method far easier, and far more reliable.

The DAC should then show up as "Benchmark DAC2 USB 2.0 Audio Out" in the Audio MIDI Setup app.

Only other thing I can think of is I am using a 5M USB cable.
If the DAC is not switching into UAC2 mode, this is the likely culprit.
The DAC2 will fall back to UAC1 mode if the cable is not capable of handling UAC2 mode.

You don't need a fancy "audiophile" USB cable (and if you're using one, that could actually be the problem) but the cable you're currently using may not be of adequate quality for it.

- in JRiver  Tools/Options/Settings/Bitstreaming  option DSD.
When I do that I get a message: "playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format 'DoP 2.8MHz 2ch'.
As long as the DAC is in UAC2 mode, it should work for 1xDSD.

However, the DAC2 does not support 2xDSD, which can be a bit of a problem in Media Center right now.
Currently, bitstreaming DSD is an all-or-nothing setting. The DAC2 will support 1xDSD bitstreams, but not multichannel DSD or 2x/4x DSD rates.

You can choose to work around this with Zones and Zone Switch, where 2x/4x DSD get sent to a zone which converts that audio to PCM or encodes it to 1xDSD.

Or you can simply convert all DSD to PCM and send the DAC a 176/88 kHz signal.
I find that Media Center causes there to be a pop/click on track change when bitstreaming, and I prefer to use Volume Leveling so I forgo bitstreaming altogether and convert everything to PCM.

With the DAC2, I don't find there to be any appreciable difference between PCM and DSD.

alcyst

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:36:46 am »

6233638, worthwhile "Remote" tip.

Following your suggestion I tried the DAC2 with a shorter cable on another machine & it came straight up with USB 2.

I had assumed that "DSD = 2X and 4X LEDs" implied 4X DSD, or at least 2X DSD but re-reading Benchmark material they only ever say "native DSD".

three bits of information in one post, impressive.

thanks

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:18:37 am »

The 2x and 4x LEDs are normally used to indicate PCM sample rates.

48    x2 = 96kHz
    44.1  x4 = 176.4kHz
    etc.

Having both the 2x and 4x LEDs lit at the same time is just what they use to indicate that a DSD signal is being played, not that a 2x or 4x DSD signal is being played.
Pages: [1]   Go Up