INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curious behaviour, MC changes automatically fields ?  (Read 2546 times)

fredele

• World Citizen
Curious behaviour, MC changes automatically fields ?
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »

Hello,

Suppose that with COM you have a Filesautomation.
I've seen that if you have a bunch of files with the same "the TVDB Series ID" tag, if you just change this tag in ONE file, ALL the files are updated .
But if I change the serie name, just the concerned file will update.
It seems that the same behaviour happens when tagging some tag in Album -> some tags if set on ONE file, will automatically affect the other files ..

I think that's a logic behind all that, but can't understand why this was implemented this way ? May do i not have the skills to understand correctly this behaviour.

So, the basic question is : which tags do have this behaviour ?  ? because if I want to modify some tags, I should be aware which other files will also be affected.

Please excuse my bad english, hope I can be understood.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Curious behaviour, MC changes automatically fields ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:02:41 am »

[theTVDB Series ID] is a Relational field, which stores a single value for each [Series]:

Most fields are non-relational, meaning each item in the Library has its own independent value.  However, fields can be made that are relational, keyed off of one of:

* [Series]
* [Artist]
* [Album]
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fredele

• World Citizen
Re: Curious behaviour, MC changes automatically fields ?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:14:56 am »

Thank you very much, Glynor.

I haven't seen the relationnal field and to say it all I didn't know there' s such thing : i knew about the "calculated" field  type, but not the "relationnal" one.
So yes, this brings me a step further.

I've browsed the entire existing fields in MC : the only default one I have which is actually relationnal is ..."The TVDB Id Series" !  ;D

But, I must put some more effort , because I've seen another case where MC seems to modify "internally" field values - when I was trying to make a plugin which assigns a incremental number to each different album :maybe am I completely way off the mark, I must recheck my code -the problem must be there ... :-[

Thanks for your time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up