INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing Resource.xml - Is There A Better Guide?  (Read 2362 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
Editing Resource.xml - Is There A Better Guide?
« on: November 16, 2014, 02:57:08 pm »

Is there a guide for editing Resource.xml, other than the webpages listed below*, which are either obsolete or not helpful?  

The ability to modify keyboard shortcuts—as you can do easily with, for example, VLC Media Player—is important to me, and I'd like to have the ability to do that without having to ask what the edit is for a particular command.  

I don't understand why JRiver MC allows for user modification of keyboard shortcuts but makes it unnecessarily difficult to actually do so.

Thanks for any assistance.

George
*http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands
*http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Editing Resource.xml - Is There A Better Guide?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:22 am »

yes I can't get the sample file from the ftp either ... you are right, that would make it more obvious .. I'll ask if another file can be put up.

Is there a guide for editing Resource.xml, other than the webpages listed below*, which are either obsolete or not helpful? 
the commands are pretty recent; any that they added at the beginning of version 20 I doubt you would want to be messing with yet. What basically do you want to do?

I don't understand why JRiver MC allows for user modification of keyboard shortcuts but makes it unnecessarily difficult to actually do so.

JRiver puts its resources into constant new development over writing guides ... these modifications are really for advanced users that really know the program. If someone decides to overwrite the resource.xml they would (could) break the program.

So you either spend a fortune designing it into the UI with severe limitations, you don't allow users to mess with it, or you make it for "power-users". Its not open source like VLC.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:29:24 am »

Arindelle, thank you very much for your helpful reply.

Taking your points in order:
---Assuming that the sample file on the ftp site were to be fixed/modified and I were to try to access it via my ftp client, how would the issue of a user name and password be handled?

---I'd like to edit Resource.xml so that "ctrl + spacebar" issues the "stop" command.  (FWIW, I'll mention that, with Matt's help, I've already edited the play/pause command so that it's issued by "spacebar".)

---I appreciate what you're saying about JRiver's need to prioritize the ways in which its its resources are used, as well as the need to prevent users from breaking the program.

Thank you again for your assistance!

George

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

Hi George have to run out

For info you can get the file on that link by right click => "save link as"; other wise I'll try to put in is as an attachment to the reply (as a text file just in case ;) ) it shows examples

the command for stop is "10002" your key should be "Ctrl;Space"

put it where Matt told you in the same xml file

Have to run so can't test it out but that should do what you want and get you started

(anybody else have time to test it for him ? just chime in gotta start cooking dinner : ) )

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:48:20 pm »

Arindelle,
Thank you—you've solved my problem.  When Matt told me, a couple of weeks ago, how to edit the play/pause keyboard shortcut, he did so solely via an edit to the value for the "TranslateFlags" entry for 28011 in the "Playback engine shortcuts" section, and so I assumed that all playback-related keyboard shortcut modifications would be made via a new "TranslateFlags" value—a value that I had no way of knowing—in that same section.  Consequently, I didn't even look at other sections of the document below the "Playback engine shortcuts" section, and so I didn't see the "General shortcuts" section, where the other keyboard shortcuts that I'm interested in are clearly shown.  Now that I've seen that section, I'm good to go.

I am curious about one last point though: Could someone give me a very brief explanation as to why there is one method (i.e., a new "TranslateFlags" value) for handling the pause function and another method (i.e., a new "Key" value) for handling the "stop" function?

By the way, I'm new to JRiver MC and want to say that it is by far the best media player I've come across.  Well done!

Thanks again!
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up