INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote & Gizmo Don't Work After Upgrading  (Read 998 times)

acmeseed

• Recent member
JRemote & Gizmo Don't Work After Upgrading
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »

My Media Center automatically updated to 20.0.41 today, I can no longer connect with Gizmo or JRemote.

When I go into Tools -> Options -> Media Network and try to look at/change settings I get an error message of "Media library has failed to start ....... My Windows firewall is turned off and there's no other antivirus software blocking ports.

My updates channel is setup to Stable. I tried to download the .41 version in another computer to see if I could reproduce the problem, but the most current one I find to download is .27. My network seems to be working properly, I can successfully connect to the other computer running .27.

Is this a reported problem?

I will greatly appreciate your response.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 20.0.41 Upgrade breaks JRemote & Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:29:20 pm »

It's working fine here.  Strange.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:59 pm »

First, make sure MC 19 isn't running at the same time.  If you just upgraded from MC19 to MC20, and you had the Option to start MC automatically in the System Tray (Media Server) enabled, I've seen it get all borked up after rebooting where you end up with MC 19 running in the tray instead of MC 20, and then you launch the "full" MC 20 by running it.

So, close any running copies of the MC UI.  Then, check down in the system tray (the icons by the clock).  If Media Server is running there, Right-Click on it and choose Show Media Center.  Then, in the copy of MC that launches, check the version number under Help > About.  If it is MC19, then you still have that set to launch on Boot and it is probably messing you up.  You can shut it down in MC19 via Tools > Options > Startup > Windows Startup.

You can have both MC19 and MC20 installed at the same time, but you can't RUN them at the same time.  Like I said, it should upgrade okay, but I've seen this get messed up, and you wouldn't notice it or have trouble until you reboot for the first time.  So, maybe that just happened to you.

Assuming that isn't it, there are three things you can try:

Thing One:
0. Reboot (don't skip this because you are lazy).
1. Download MC 20.0.41 manually and install it over-top-of of your current (broken) installation.
2. Reboot again.
3. Try again.

If that doesn't work, try Thing Two:
1. Make a Library Backup in Media Center and save the ZIP file somewhere you can easily get to it.
2. Uninstall the broken copy of MC 20.  When uninstalling DO NOT REMOVE either your Library or your Settings (just in case you mess this up, that's why we made the backup first).
3. Download MC 20.0.27 manually and install it over-top of your current (broken) installation.

If that works, then try upgrading to MC 20.0.41 again with the updater you downloaded in Thing One and try updating to the newer build again.  If it worked after Thing Two, but then this breaks it again?  Please immediately come here and tell us, because that almost certainly means you copy of MC 20 wasn't just broken, but that MC 20.0.41 itself is broken in certain (esoteric) ways.

If Thing Two doesn't work, then try Thing Three:

1. Uninstall the broken copy of MC 20.  When uninstalling this time, DO select the options to remove both the Library and the Settings (you did make that backup in Thing Two, RIGHT?).
2. Reinstall the copy of MC 20.0.27 using the installer you downloaded in THING TWO and install it.
3. Open it up and see if you can enable Media Network.
4. Assuming you can, restore the Library part of your Backup, but not the Settings.
5. Restart MC entirely (this includes shutting down the Media Server in the System Tray, if enabled).
6. Check to see if
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

My updates channel is setup to Stable. I tried to download the .41 version in another computer to see if I could reproduce the problem, but the most current one I find to download is .27. My network seems to be working properly, I can successfully connect to the other computer running .27.

Also, the reason your computer set to Stable doesn't see build 41, and is still running build 27 is explained here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

There are almost always at least two builds of the current major version of MC available (Stable and Latest).  They're not the same version in all cases.  Right now, Stable is build 27 and Latest is build 41.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote & Gizmo Don't Work After Upgrading
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:25:55 am »

Make sure the Media Server you're running on startup is the one from MC20.  Then read the setup instructions again.  It's likely you don't have Media Network turned on in the right version of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up