INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update library from tags?  (Read 3086 times)

Red99

• Recent member
Update library from tags?
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »

Do you know how to update the tags in my library so they match the original files on my hard drive?  I used Mp3tag to revise all my tags for easier navigation.  dbPoweramp & Mp3tag show the new tags, but MC-19 still shows the old tags.  I tried Tools > Import > Run auto import now and Tools > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) one song at a time.  No luck. 

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Update library from tags?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

Update tags (from library) should fill the tags with whatever is currently in the file

If you update library (from tags), it only sets the file with the tags that are showing in MC currently, so if you aren't seeing the right tags it won't work.  Try to update the tags (from library) with a couple tracks that are showing the "correct" tags in mp3tag and see what happens

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:40 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried Update tags (from library) but it didn't work.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:07 am »

When you tag a file with mp3tag, then view the file in MC, which tags are "correct" and which are not?

I've never used mp3tag, maybe the map isn't correct into MC

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:04:18 am »

Update tags (from library) should fill the tags with whatever is currently in the file

If you update library (from tags), it only sets the file with the tags that are showing in MC currently, so if you aren't seeing the right tags it won't work.  Try to update the tags (from library) with a couple tracks that are showing the "correct" tags in mp3tag and see what happens
This is completely the wrong way around.
Update tags (from library) should fill the tags with whatever is currently in the file library.
Update library (from tags) should re-read the file tags and update the library with the current tag contents.

If I remember correctly, if a library field is empty, but the corresponding tag in the file has data, updating tags from library will not clear the data in the file.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried Update tags (from library) but it didn't work.
Having done this, you may want to re-check the files in mp3tag, as you have most probably over-written the data you input using mp3tag with the data that was in your MC library.

If you could answer ferday's last question, that might give us a little more to go on. Did you know that you can also view the physical tag data in the file from within MC? Open the tag window, click where shown in snap 92, to then be shown the data contained within the file, as per snap 93 (both attached.)

-marko

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:46 am »

This is completely the wrong way around.
Update tags (from library) should fill the tags with whatever is currently in the file library.
Update library (from tags) should re-read the file tags and update the library with the current tag contents.
-marko

that's correct, thanks for that marko!

FWIW i had all my original tagging in media monkey and the map was good but not perfect...i just manually re-tagged everything in MC rather than messing with a map.  not an ideal option i'm sure but now my library is good

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »

When you tag a file with mp3tag, then view the file in MC, which tags are "correct" and which are not?

The tags in Mp3tag (and in dbpoweramp) are correct, the ones in MC are not.

Did you know that you can also view the physical tag data in the file from within MC?
-marko

No, I didn't know that but I checked the physical tag data within MC and it shows the correct tag data (matching Mp3tag and dbpoweramp).  However, if I view normally in MC, the tags are incorrect.

The reason I spent hours revising my tags is so that I can sort in MC by composer.  I have a huge collection and I've deleted the composer tags in all genres except classical so I can quickly get to the one I want.  It's overwhelming otherwise.  Unfortunately, MC still shows all the composer tags that I've deleted.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

They are probably stored in MC's library (database).  You can use Library Tools / Update Library from Tags.  Try a few before you do very many.

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:15:03 pm »

Thanks Jim.  That's the first thing I tried but it didn't work.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:54 am »

So, here's what I *think* may be happening...

If I am understanding correctly, you've deleted the composer tag in the file, but when you 'update library from tags' the library retains the existing composer tag. This would be by design. While it doesn't suit your current workflow, there will be other scenarios where this would not be the desired behaviour, and somewhere along the dev curve, that was the one that came out on top. Here's how to test my theory...

Take two files, one where you would like composer retained (and you already have it in the file tag), and one where you want the composer to be cleared (and you already have it empty in the file tag), and clear the composer field for both files in MC. Then do an 'update library from tags' on both files. One should bring in the composer, the other shouldn't.

If that is the case, then you should be good to select all files, clear the composer field, then update from tags, on the lot, at the same time.

Or...

If you're happy that the composer tags for all your "Classical" genre tagged files are good in MC and the file tags, and you know that the rest do not have composer tag set, you could just select all files that are not "Classical", clear the composer tag in MC, and if my theory and understanding is correct, the library and the file tags should then be in sync and you're good to move on to another project.

-marko

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:26 pm »

...you should be good to select all files, clear the composer field, then update from tags, on the lot, at the same time.

-marko

You're a genius Marko.  Your theory was correct.  It worked beautifully.  Thank you!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:59 pm »

Genius is probably a bit much, but I'll take it, thank you. I've just been using this thing we call MC for 11 years now so you pick up a thing or so and some of it sticks :)

Glad to hear you're all sorted now, a pleasure working with you.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up