Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cost  (Read 1893 times)

sjw

• Recent member
cost
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:19 am »

am trialling this and it seems good
but I'm unclear as to if it is a one off cost of $49 or do I have to pay for every upgrade?
thanks

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: cost
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:30:09 am »

There is a cost for every major version upgrade, so when they eventually (in about a year or so) go to version 21 there will be an upgrade cost at that time if you wish to go to v21.  They usually do discounted upgrade pricing right before/after release with a list of changes planned for that major version.

There is no requirement to upgrade.  In the past, I have gone 2-3 major releases before seeing a need to upgrade (based on my usage at the time and feature changes).  Since about v16 (for the PC), and since v18 for the Mac, I have updated both licenses every major release thanks to the new features and ease of use changes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:52 am »

This might also help:

JRiver Business Model

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »

"About three or four times a week, we release a new build and it's free if you've paid for that version."

Over the last 2 major Mac versions, I've found this statement from your business model to be a bit misleading so you may want to consider re-wording it.

If you add up the number of new Mac builds released over the last year or so, I don't think it adds up to 3 or 4 releases a month let alone 3 or 4 a week. Granted, this is likely due to the major work being done on the Mac version and the big difference in feature parity with the Windows version but I don't think it's an accurate representation of what new customers can expect for this version of your product.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

We do more Windows builds than Mac builds, but those fixes and improvements are often in the Mac builds that we release.  We just don't do the Mac builds as often.

We've typically done about 160 builds or so in each major version.  A few of those don't get released to the public.

But here's what it says now:
"About three or four times a week, we release a new build for beta testing.  A few times each month, we move it to the forum, and it's free if you've paid for that major version."

sjw

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »

so if i buy the current version
how soon will i have to pay again?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:28 pm »

Never.  It will always work.

sjw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »

thanks - its a fair question

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »

We do more Windows builds than Mac builds, but those fixes and improvements are often in the Mac builds that we release.  We just don't do the Mac builds as often.

We've typically done about 160 builds or so in each major version.  A few of those don't get released to the public.

But here's what it says now:
"About three or four times a week, we release a new build for beta testing.  A few times each month, we move it to the forum, and it's free if you've paid for that major version."

Much clearer now, thanks.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »

so if i buy the current version
how soon will i have to pay again?

thanks

You will never have to pay again to continue using the current version (assuming that you still have an OS that it will run on).  20 is still pretty early in the release cycle so no one can say for sure how long till 21 comes out.  The 'last' release of v19 was back in August, so I would expect ~9 months or more till there is a newer shinier version to consider.
Pages: [1]   Go Up