INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2014 Mac Mini as Media Server for video on MC20  (Read 2680 times)

marcusturle

• World Citizen
2014 Mac Mini as Media Server for video on MC20
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:52:20 pm »

I'm looking at a new 2014 Mac Mini to use as a media server for MC20 now that it supports video. 

I know there has been a lot of talk about the 2012 Mini being better spec'd and the 2014 'update' being a backward step.  I'm actually not asking about that, and I'm not interested in the 2012 Mini because I want one with ac wifi.

My question is simply this: will the 2014 Mini be sufficient to use for video on MC20?  I'm happy to upgrade to a higher spec 2014 Mini if that's going to be worthwhile (there's a 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 version for example).

All my content is on a Synology NAS so I would install MC on the mini and use it to pull from the Synology and then push to a Samsung TV via HDMI (or gigabit ethernet if that's better).

marcusturle

• World Citizen
Re: 2014 Mac Mini as Media Server for video on MC20
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »

Maybe I should re-phrase the question.  Does JRiver recommend a minimum spec for using MC20 with video?

At the moment all I read about the new Mini is people complaining you can't upgrade the RAM yourself (I never would anyway), and that it has no option for a quad core CPU (which, as a non-gamer, I'm really not sure is an issue for me).  I'd be using it initially just to run JRiver.  All my files are on a Synology NAS. 

steve_c7

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:39 pm »

I am looking for the same thing.

I have an intel NUC that is giving me issues with memory issues and general windows operating system problems and would like to go down the mac mini path as well.

Two areas that I have concerns with are connecting with the NAS and no theater view in jriver which is a great interface with remotes

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:31 am »

Steve, I went ahead with the 2014 Mini and it works fine for both audio and video playback.  In fact the video function, which I didn't initially think I would use very much, is very impressive and I use it all the time.  Great work from the JR team.

The only issue I've had is that the license install is not working properly on the Mini.  I can still use MC20 but I keep having to restore the license because for some reason MC isn't recognising registration on the Mini.  I'm currently waiting for JRiver to fix whatever the problem is...

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:30 am »

The only issue I've had is that the license install is not working properly on the Mini.  I can still use MC20 but I keep having to restore the license because for some reason MC isn't recognising registration on the Mini.  I'm currently waiting for JRiver to fix whatever the problem is...
Please install and run that special build I sent you with the extra debug statements in it.  Then when you experience a license restore problem, send me the log file.  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »

Hi John, I've been having issues the past week - have emailed you twice but no response yet.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »

Did you read this page carefully?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

You may find your answer there.

Please post here rather than by e-mail since anyone may be able to help.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:21 am »

Hi John, I've been having issues the past week - have emailed you twice but no response yet.
The last email I have from you is from January 8th.  Could you attach a log file to a post on this thread?   Thanks.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:02 am »

Hi John,

This is the process I've been following to restore/install on the Mini (if this is incorrect then please do let me know):

Help > Install License > Restore License > type in license key.

At this point the license installs ok.  I get a buy-button email confirming this, and if I go to Help > Registration Info the license is displayed as "Registered".

The issue seems to be that at some subsequent point, the license changes from "Registered" to "Trial".   Each time I restore, the same thing happens.  I assume something is going on in the background because the original trial period of 30 days has expired, but it subsequently showed 3 days remaining, and now it says 8. 

Anyway, I'll try to post the last two log files I sent you by email (on the 9th and 14th).

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:30 am »

I can't seem to post the log files on here - maybe because they're large files (3MB and 2MB).

Will try resending them to you on email.  Does your email have a limit to size of attachments?

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 11:13:16 am »

Does your email have a limit to size of attachments?
No, go ahead and send them over.  Please post here that you've sent them.  Thanks.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »

Have resent today.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 07:53:05 am »

Hmmm, I didn't receive it.  Are you sending to johnt at jriver dot com?

Can you share it using Dropbox or Google drive or something?
Thanks.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 10:34:11 am »

Yes, used that email address.

Is it possible your system is blocking messages with large attachments?  Have you received any messages from me with log files attached (I've sent 3)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:37 am »

Try sending a test message with no attachment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up