INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resampler  (Read 7542 times)

tomaustin

Resampler
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:32 am »

What resampling algorithm does JRiver use?  I have an X-Fi USB DAC that does not directly support 44.1 K sampling rate.  I have installed it with the asio driver and specified resampling for 44.1 to 48.  Playing CDs, it works and doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound as good as foobar2000 with the dsp_mulitisampler. 

Is there any way to use a different resampler?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Resampler
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:03:07 am »

MC uses SSRC

Foobar uses SoX

tomaustin

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »

For what it's worth, with my setup if I resample 44.1 to 96 it seems to sound better than 44.1 to 48.  At that setting I'm not sure I can tell the difference between JRiver and foobar2000 with dsp_multiresampler.  Also fwiw, foobar2000 seems to sound better with 44.1 to 48.  Sigh...  Oh well, they are both very good.  I really coundn't have hoped for sound this good with such a low cost DAC and very modest speakers.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »

MC uses SSRC
Foobar uses SoX
SSRC is fine, as long as they are using it in the high precision mode, but it's certainly showing its age now.
SoX is measurably better, and has more flexible options for both performance, quality, and user preference. (such as minimum phase options)
And commercial products (e.g. iZotope) and better still.

I wouldn't mind the option of SoX resampling rather than SSRC, but I doubt it's something that the MC team want to focus on.
I do wonder about DSD Encoding though, as I have heard that SSRC does not perform very well on especially large upsampling factors.

tomaustin

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:35:32 am »

I now see that this is a fairly old subject and I am just getting up to speed.  I think I have finally found the ultimate for my setup.  I installed the SOX dsp_resampler for foobar and set it to output 96000 and I think it is noticeably better than SSRC.  (Before I was using the dsp_multiresampler with foobar, with sinc interpolation.  I don't think it is as good as SOX).

This is good and bad news.  It's good because SOX works very well.  It's bad, because I really like the JRiver player, but I guess I will have to use foobar because JRiver doesn't support SOX.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:11:40 pm »

I now see that this is a fairly old subject and I am just getting up to speed.  I think I have finally found the ultimate for my setup.  I installed the SOX dsp_resampler for foobar and set it to output 96000 and I think it is noticeably better than SSRC.  (Before I was using the dsp_multiresampler with foobar, with sinc interpolation.  I don't think it is as good as SOX).

This is good and bad news.  It's good because SOX works very well.  It's bad, because I really like the JRiver player, but I guess I will have to use foobar because JRiver doesn't support SOX.

I wouldn't use the word "noticeably better" in this case. Each and every SRC algorithm is a compromise in some way - you just happen to like SOX better than SSRC. Objectively there are arguments for any of them. See for example: http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.nl/2011/04/tt-resampling.html for an indepth comparison of the two.

That being said I have to agree with you and Klaus (aka soundcheck) in that I also generally prefer SOX over SSRC. But certainly not enough to make me use foobar instead of MC ;-)

Judging by the number of posts in this thread I guess the interest in SRC is quite limited - therefor I guess Matt will not make it an priority to include (the open source) SOX as an option. I am wondering if the SOX based dsp_resampler can be used in MC as an plugin??

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:01:40 pm »

Judging by the number of posts in this thread I guess the interest in SRC is quite limited - therefor I guess Matt will not make it an priority to include (the open source) SOX as an option. I am wondering if the SOX based dsp_resampler can be used in MC as an plugin??

+1 for the option of a SOX based dsp_resampler, as the MC resampler to my ears leaves much to be desired

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »

+1 for SOX option (used it a long time in foobar because my current soundcard performes better in higher resolutions, normally I think no upsampling is better).

BR
Erich

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 09:51:40 am »

To bring that into the right context: In my opinion the biggest benefit of SoX is it's flexibilty regarding configuration. The "right" settings make or break this solution. Sure, you can take your time and optimize the settings for your preferences and system. Given enough effort you will likely end up with a different, and to you preferable sound signature than JRiver's SSRC implementation.

BUT...

- the benefits of upsampling/oversampling/resampling by default are questionable with modern DACs (there is lot's of discussion about this in "audiophile circles")

- JRiver SRC works pretty well without any need to mess with settings - I doubt SoX at some default "works for everything" setting would be any "better" in general

- and I also doubt that if Matt sneaks in SoX instead of SSRC (m)any users would even recognize the difference, if not told there was one ;-)

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:26:49 pm »

+1 for Sox or modular resamplers

(in personal listening, I much prefer Foobar with Sox vs. JRiver; I realize there is a lot of pure personal preference that drives these opinions)
Pages: [1]   Go Up