INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ArchLinux - Launch fullscreen on startup  (Read 5353 times)

behaviour

• Recent member
ArchLinux - Launch fullscreen on startup
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:48 am »

Hi All,

I've come back to JRiver now it's available for linux (ditched windows years ago) and am running it in AP-Linux (ArchLinux). I have figured out that I can get it to startup by adding mediacenter20 to my fluxbox startup but it never remembers the settings. Every time it opens small in the corner of the screen and the library is gone.

What I am looking for is it to open full screen on startup as this box will be dedicated to using MC as my music player via JRemote.

Has anybody managed to achieve this?

Many Thanks,
Iwan

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ArchLinux - Launch fullscreen on startup
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:20 am »

Sounds like a permissions problem.

Normally it uses .jriver dir under your home and permissions should not be an issue but check it to be sure.

Unless you're starting it under a different user account or have something else out of the ordinary?

behaviour

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:38:51 am »

OK, sussed it  ;D

What was actually happening was the .jriver directory was being removed on reboot (or the home directory is being recreated). I was launching MC immediately on start-up to check if the library was still present which was recreating the directory so I hadn't noticed. This AP-Linux has been a challenge  ;)

For anybody facing the same issue here is what I did:

Created /config/.jriver (as my user)
As my user, edited ~/fluxbox/startup and added the following lines BEFORE the 'exec fluxbox' entry:

ln -s /config/.jriver ~/.jriver
/usr/bin/mediacenter20 /FullScreen&

This recreates the link on every startup and also starts MC in full screen.

I am now very happy and ready to enjoy MC!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:39 am »

Cool!

Out of interest, why are you using AP and not plain Arch? What advantage does it give you?

behaviour

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:30 am »

I kinda went with Ap-Linux as default as I wanted the best bit perfect linux. It's purely a music player when booted into AP-Linux. I have it dual booting to OpenElec for all TV/Movie needs

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:17 pm »

I just stated playing with AP-linux.  Can you post the steps you used to get MC20 installed?  AP-linux is a stripped down version and does not seem to have the apt commands or packages needed to use AUR.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 04:58:24 pm »

I don't know what AP-Linux is, but jriver is in the AUR for regular Arch.  apt is Debian-specific so most other linux distros that aren't debian descendents don't use apt.  On regular Arch you just need to have the base-devel package group installed and use the Arch build system: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages

FWIW, you can get bitperfect audio on virtually any linux distro using JRiver since JRiver can use ALSA hardware outputs and skips the system mixer.  If you're new to linux, Arch-based distros are not necessarily the best place to start, but you'll learn a lot about linux doing it  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up