INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 Channels?  (Read 2559 times)

lisbethfox

• World Citizen
16 Channels?
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:05:37 am »

Other than a very expensive, multithousand dollar studio D/A A/D interface are there any options (non sound card unless the D/A is done outside of my computer) to get 16 channels of audio out from my PC?

Also 16 channel passive volume control? LOL

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: 16 Channels?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:48:25 am »

A Behringer FIREPOWER FCA1616 has 8 analog and 8 digital outputs. You can connect the 8 digital outputs to a Behringer Ultragain Digital ADA8200. Total cost would be $500 and and I think this is about as cheap as you can do it.

If you don't need 16 channels, the Echo AudioFire 12 is $525. You can daisy chain two together for $1050 and 24 channels.

The MOTU 16a is Thundbolt/USB 2.0 and has 16 channels of analog output for $1495. It has 32-bit DAC chips for the highest quality digital volume control. You can even use a MOTU app to control volume, but it would be easier to use JRiver's internal volume.

I'm not sure why someone would want a 16 channel passive volume control if they already have higher quality digital volume control.

lisbethfox

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45:09 am »

I don't really believe in digital volume controls. Its quite irrational but let me be. I'll debate about the invalidity of cables all day but leave me be when it comes to volume attenuation LMAO

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. The Behringer solution looks nice, 500 is cheap as heck! Like exactly in my price range (hell I could even sell my receiver, which is just a pre pro now for more than that!)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »

I don't really believe in digital volume controls. Its quite irrational but let me be. I'll debate about the invalidity of cables all day but leave me be when it comes to volume attenuation LMAO

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. The Behringer solution looks nice, 500 is cheap as heck! Like exactly in my price range (hell I could even sell my receiver, which is just a pre pro now for more than that!)
What are you using for volume control now? All receivers use digital volume control, but not near as high quality as JRiver.

lisbethfox

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:57 am »

For multichannel I do at the moment, you say JRiver would be an improvement? My 2ch stuff is handled by its own DAC and then a passive volume control. I really like the sound of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up