INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding Views & Favorites  (Read 1400 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Understanding Views & Favorites
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:53 am »

I tried to create a new View, as I would like to add items I've added to Favorites as a View, but it doesn't seem to let me.

My desire is to create easy-to-use (i.e., wife-capable) buttons, icons, or toolbars with the items I've added to Favorites (her Pandora account, Albums, etc.).

Is there a way? I tried to create a new View, but it didn't seem to work. I'll bet someone can point me towards a thread! YES PLEASE!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Understanding Views & Favorites
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »

are you trying to make a view for standard mode or theater mode?

You make a favorite from a view not a view from a favorite.

Maybe if you described what you want in your view (or what you want it to do) I could help, otherwise there are literally tons of posts and the wiki. If you trying to make it noob-proof, I would start with a category type view, edit an existing one. Then if you want ti in theater view you can import it, rather than trying to do it separately at first.

Once a view is made then you just add it to favorites, and you can leave the tree hidden too so as not to "overwhelm" other users.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »

Ah, beautiful! thank you for helping me.

I'm now a noob+. Been using MC for over a year, but had some network issues that I improperly diagnosed as MC frustrations, so I'm on the right track now!

I am an audio only user. My wife is tech-deaf. I have arranged her Pandora account, some radio stations, some (music-only) playlists, really just going for a few things, to display on the server and 2 auto-sync'ed clients (all Win7), and *maybe* on Gizmo/xbox360?:

- Connected Media
- Playlists
- Artists
- Albums

After that, it's all gravy... files? genres? recent albums? Podcasts?

But I need to find a way to make those "big 4" super duper easy. Buttons? Toolbars? Something OTHER THAN a tree hierarchy???

This would be so tremendous.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:37:03 am »

You might try Theater View.  Hit F11 a couple of times.  Or the Green Button on a Media Center Remote.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »

You might try Theater View.  Hit F11 a couple of times.  Or the Green Button on a Media Center Remote.

Yes as Jim says that would be the way to go. Still I would recommend doing it in Standard View first. As views for the Theater View are in a separate section, you can just import it from an already defined "standard" view. You can't use connected media really in theater view so you might need a toggle button on one of the menu bars.

The easiest are 'category type views that lets you drill down which makes an album view redundant even. EG you click on a cover of a Rolling Stones album and then it shows you the covers of all of their albums - click on one and it plays ... pretty basic.

Question first do you want to sort by individual artists or by album artist (most of the time they are the same, but if you have a lot of compilations, they would be regrouped together under an album artist sort and they would be split under an artist sort)
Pages: [1]   Go Up