INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 for Mac often "locks", will not respond  (Read 10179 times)

Grayson54

• Recent member
MC20 for Mac often "locks", will not respond
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:31:54 pm »

When I use MC20, it often goes into some kind of "lock" mode, a spinning color wheel appears on the screen over the app.  Perhaps "lock" is not the right word.  MC20 is simply unavailable.  It seems to get into some kind of process and then will not finish.  No error messages or windows appear, it just is in permanent spinning wheel mode.  I have to "force quit" to get it to come back up.

Any suggestions on what is causing this and what can be done about it?

Thanks,
George
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 for Mac often "locks", will not respond
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:57:31 pm »

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »

Yes, 20.0.40 is the version.  Just set it up three days ago.
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:43 am »

I even tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Same result.  JRiver for Mac is essentially unusable. I have been running JRiver for Windows on an old laptop for some time.  Trying to make the move to Mac (supposedly for better sound quality), but it seems unstable. Please help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

Let it run for a few hours.  Something may be slow about importing files.  Network drives, antivirus, or bad files can do that.

Turn off auto import.

It won't sound better.  That's a myth.  But it shouldn't hang.

latinim

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:28:34 am »

occurred to me too.
I found 6 corrupted files. I have taken from a backup, and is now working for about two hours, with Autoimport active, no problems!

Massimo

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

Mac's don't sound better?  You sure see that a lot in the blogs and chatter.  Not true?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 01:02:42 pm »

Idle chatter.  Truly.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:05:44 pm »

OK.  My JRiver Mac just went "spinning circle", so I will let it spin for a while, see what happens.  I am also evaluating Audirvana and good old iTunes, to see if any of those are more reliable.   

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »

May have figured out the problem.  Somehow, the main library was placed on my Synergy NAS.  The slowness of the drive upset MC, locking it somehow.  I cloned the library onto the main solid state drive on my Mac Mini.  Renamed it as the Main Library.  Has not crashed since.  Will leave it open overnight to see if the locking happens again.  Thanks.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

My library is on my Mac Mini as well, but MC is no longer stable since I've updated to MC20.  It's really frustrating now as I can't rely that the server will be alive as I depend on it to keep running when I'm outside the house and I use it as a specialized alarm clark since I can set different times for specific days.  

It's an unfortunate situation right now.  I hope that this will be addressed.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »

I thought a solution had been found, but it now locks virtually every time I open JRiver MC20.  This is a major disappointment.  I had great luck with my JRiver MC on PC.  Amazing that they would release something so unstable. 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:52 am »

Yes it definitely is.  I'm hoping for a solution this week and it's definitely not an "import" issue as I turned auto import off and it still locks up after a while.  I can't open MC at all and I have to force quit it every time via the Activity Monitor app.  MC 19 was at least stable.  This version has been nonstop disappointment.  I hope the JRiver staff consider this when they charge us another $20 come February or March.  

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 02:44:31 am »

Agree ! When I moved to MC I was warned it was not stable on Mac. But I was very happy with MC19. The problems started with MC20 and the especially  20.0.40. The spinning wheel is often here, it stops randomly... The worst behaviour is that not only I have to restart my renderer but sometimes I have to reboot my Mac manually (physically) because I just cannot shut it down or restart it with the restart / shut down menu. MC cannot be force killed.
Please fix those bugs. MC19 was really fine

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

Agree ! When I moved to MC I was warned it was not stable on Mac. But I was very happy with MC19. The problems started with MC20 and the especially  20.0.40. The spinning wheel is often here, it stops randomly... The worst behaviour is that not only I have to restart my renderer but sometimes I have to reboot my Mac manually (physically) because I just cannot shut it down or restart it with the restart / shut down menu. MC cannot be force killed.
Please fix those bugs. MC19 was really fine

+1

If possible. make it stable for audio before going on with video features.
Thanks for all your efforts
Mssimo

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »

Could you guys send us log files after you experience the freeze?  It's in the menu under Help / Logging.  You have to enable it first, then restart Media Center and wait until you have one or more spinning wheels, then go back to the menu and select "Report problem" and send the zip file to johnt at jriver dot com.  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

fyusmal

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 11:03:00 am »

Moved to it's own topic.

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 11:13:46 am »

Could you guys send us log files after you experience the freeze?  It's in the menu under Help / Logging.  You have to enable it first, then restart Media Center and wait until you have one or more spinning wheels, then go back to the menu and select "Report problem" and send the zip file to johnt at jriver dot com.  Thanks.

Hi John,
I've just sent my log as my problem remains also with latest release (46).
Many thanks for your time
Massimo

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:01 pm »

Not to dismiss mvilla's post, but since updating to .46, I've not had any crashes.  The change log doesn't indicate this was specifically addressed, but whatever you guys did, I'm immensely grateful.  Now I just hope that I didn't jinx myself by saying this. 

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »

Not to dismiss mvilla's post, but since updating to .46, I've not had any crashes.  The change log doesn't indicate this was specifically addressed, but whatever you guys did, I'm immensely grateful.  Now I just hope that I didn't jinx myself by saying this. 

Now I'm also fine.
just want to tell people - who experience a block all of a sudden - to verify the "Audio Device" settings in the Options as mine were restored to the default (Core Audio) and my DAC did not properly from that moment.
I do not know when happened but after I changed to the right settings, all is great again :-)
Massimo

captmark

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:55 pm »

I had this issues even grabbing Art work from the "get from internet link" on 40, but knock on wood it is ok on 46. I'm having another issue with the Analyzer display that I addressed on another topic

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 12:40:35 am »

I spoke too soon… mine hung over the weekend and I let it go but to no avail I had to force quit it.  I just sent the log to you JohnT.  I'm hoping it was a fluke and that I won't be experiencing any such locking up. In any case I sincerely appreciate the consideration! 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

I'm still getting persistent locking on the recent builds.  I would really appreciate consideration to help address this.  I've linked below the logs after having to force quit MC and reopening it:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/17eebc7f

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/6d6f4d23

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/23088135

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:55 am »

Try letting it run.

Try importing a single directory or a single file type at a time.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 07:34:48 pm »

Thank you Jim for the consideration.  These locks usually happen when I'm away from home and listening to my music via JRemote.  And when it locks up I can't do anything else but wait till I get home or open my laptop to quit the application which is usually after work.  So the only way to fix these freezes is to force quit the app because after 8 to 12 hours it should be back to normal. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 02:03:42 am »

Try turning off auto import.  Something may not be thread safe.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »

I'll do that for now and see if it helps, but I am hoping that disabling features would only be a temporary fix.  

Here's the link to my latest freeze.  It froze in the morning and I just force quit the app: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/118b784f

cyoutsey

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 10:31:37 am »

I've also been struggling with regular hang-ups requiring a force quit. Seems to occur primarily when playing music (ie, not sitting idle). Typically occurs within 12 hours, especially if I set a playlist to repeat. Tried disabling auto import, as well as disabling media key handling suggested in another thread.

Here are links to recent log files. Am a big JRiver fan, really hope a fix can be found.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tvzb2kc1nywm17/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-02%2016-35-54.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1no8ejnbf5k88s/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-02%2009-27-16.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3000d7gfi387lng/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-01%2018-43-09.zip?dl=0

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:34 pm »

Yes, the disabling of auto import did not help.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »

Here's my latest log of MC hanging and going into indefinite non-responsive mode.  Don't know whether this is being looked at…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icybwzd640zg98r/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-15%2020-48-02.zip?dl=0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »

Here's my latest log of MC hanging and going into indefinite non-responsive mode.  Don't know whether this is being looked at…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icybwzd640zg98r/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-15%2020-48-02.zip?dl=0
Would you try the latest build (57) and if it still happens? If it does, turn off Media Network and try again (trying to pin it down).
You can still use Gizmo, JRemote with Media Network disabled since they use the web api (obviously not any DLNA DACS though).

cyoutsey

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:22:13 am »

I get more robust operation if I am playing from memory. I've been stress testing MC by playing tracks continuously. Without memory play, it always hangs 6-10 hours. When playing from memory, it has not hung after 48 hours. This is on build 54, will try to replicate with 57.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 11:40:59 pm »

Would you try the latest build (57) and if it still happens? If it does, turn off Media Network and try again (trying to pin it down).
You can still use Gizmo, JRemote with Media Network disabled since they use the web api (obviously not any DLNA DACS though).

Sincerely, thank you Bob for the consideration!  I installed .57 when I came home from work on Friday and so far so good.  No hangups.  Now I haven't stress tested it like cyoutsey may have, and I have not needed to disable the Media Network (yet), knock on wood, but if it hangs up I will do that next before returning here and seeing if MC could be sustained off of that. 

cyoutsey

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 10:28:02 am »

I've been running build 57 since Saturday morning continuously, and not in memory mode, without any issues.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 12:24:22 am »

I experienced another instance of a memory hang.  And when I disabled Media Network, I couldn't connect to the server from JRemote. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9svnfhuvkj7jbj/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-20%2007-57-54.zip?dl=0

cyoutsey

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:15 am »

I spoke too soon, have now seen a couple more hangs with and without memory play. Do you want to see more log files?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 10:14:08 am »

I experienced another instance of a memory hang.  And when I disabled Media Network, I couldn't connect to the server from JRemote. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9svnfhuvkj7jbj/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-20%2007-57-54.zip?dl=0
Sorry, I thought the API was still active with Media Network disabled but it appears that's not the case.

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 01:42:16 pm »

Hi
I'm running .60 and this lockup problem is driving me crazy. Happened on .40 as well.
Has there been any resolution to this? MC is just not usable with these constant freezes.
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

druism

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 04:16:15 am »

I have found with 20.0.40 that MC20 just randomly stops and seizes solid and will only be released by Force Quit. The music server (2011 Mac Mini) seems to be unaffected, just a problem with MC20. It stops when playing a playlist, which is controlled by JRemote and or a screen sharing Mac Pro in the office. This is normal and how I have used MC since ever. The tracks on which it stops are fine and they play fine when I restart the app. I have rebooted the Mini and have run the usual checks but I am pretty sure it is just MC20. It will play for two or three hours without a problem and then just stop, mid track, and it will not recover. I have upgraded to the latest version today and will report in if it does it again. For information which may be relevant: The library is on the Mini, which has 8GB RAM. It feeds a Gold Note DAC by USB. The Mini is headless with a screen emulator plug and is controlled from an iPad, an iPhone and / or the Mac Pro using Screen Sharing. The OS on the Mini is OS X 10.10.1. The playlists are composed of AIFF, Apple Lossless and some MP3 files of varying quality but there is no common factor in the file type, as far as I can tell. Because it only happens after a long spell of playing it seems it can only be induced by a playlist; album lengths do not seem to be long enough for the problem to occur, so I am wondering if it is something to do with a cache.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 07:07:44 am »

Try turning off auto import.  We found a problem this week where MC was trying to import image files. 

Or set up auto import so it doesn't import image files.

This will be fixed soon.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 11:18:04 am »

I'm still getting frequent locking.  And I just updated to .64.  Here's my latest log from ten minutes ago.  I am not importing any photos/images.  But even if I disable auto import it still locks up.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ri9wyuqp3mxrn2/JRiver%20Log%202015-01-30%2009-05-20.zip?dl=0

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:42 am »

I have disabled auto import and I am still getting frequent lockups. It has reached a point where it happens consistently after a couple of hours of listening.I am running version 20.60 on a late 2012 mini, running 10.10.1. I can't recall at which point this problem started, but it has been an issue through several updates.

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 10:21:17 am »

Hi John
Is this problem being addressed, or is it a dead issue?

renef

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

Hi, I have Mc 20.0.64 and I also experience that wheel of death. The only way is to turn off the mac. I have waited half a day at one point to see if MC would get going again to no avail. I am using OSX 10.8.5. Hope someone has a solution.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »

Try importing a single file type at a time.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:46 pm »

Here's my latest hang log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/19fkwid57ux4gui/JRiver%20Log%202015-02-09%2011-44-17.zip?dl=0

The main thread registers this:
54242057: 1949954816: General: CMCUICore::SystemPowerManager_UpdateActions: Start

And then just goes into la la land.

Is this a Mac log?  Because I thought only Windows ran that function.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:33 am »

Not a Windows log.  I have not touched a Windows device for over six years now :D.  The logs are coming from the JRiver install on my 2010 Mac Mini with Yosemite.  

JohnT

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:55 am »

Hi John
Is this problem being addressed, or is it a dead issue?
Can you send a Media Center log file after a lock up?  It might help track down the problem if we can find some commonality with the ones Afrosheen has provided.  We've had some issues in the past with m4a ALAC files, do you have a lot of those in your collection?

JohnT

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:17 am »

Not a Windows log.  I have not touched a Windows device for over six years now :D.  The logs are coming from the JRiver install on my 2010 Mac Mini with Yosemite.  
Your other logs didn't show the SystemPowerManager hanging, so that may be a red herring.  We need to try to narrow down the source of the problem so we can add log statements to the appropriate area.  How easy is it to make this happen on your system?  If you could try turning off one of these features one at a time and see if the problem stops at some point, that would give us good information:

1. media networking
2. auto-import (maybe you've already testing this)
3. podcasting (under podcasts select Home and "disable auto download")

One thing that's a little unusual in your setup, is that you've specified the Media Center "Temp" directory to be inside your main Music folder.  Could you try changing back to the default location and see if that helps at all?  The default is /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20/Temp.  You set the location in Options / File Location / Temporary files.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up