INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plex client plugin for JR MC  (Read 4325 times)

balky

• Junior Woodchuck
Plex client plugin for JR MC
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:48:38 am »

I'm hoping you guys will not take this in a negative way...

Since MC is now doing DLNA, I guess it might be a good idea to develop a Plex client plugin for MC...

Guess I don't need to explain much, the Plex view will come as a "brother" for the current theater view... which I think many many people will not mind at all...

Plugin can also be a paid one IMO...

Thanks

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Plex client plugin for JR MC
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:56:06 am »

Why would someone want Plex and JRiver? They do the same thing.

What does PLex offer that JRiver doesn't have?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:36 am »

Why would someone want Plex and JRIver? They do the same thing.

Lots of XMBC fans would like that too.

The potential problem, IMO, with adding front ends (controllers renderers,  whatever), is that JRiver can't possibly be expected to develop their product around every external program or device.

I have even read posts of irritated JRiver users because now, JRiver doesn't work with "X" front-end, but in version 19 it did. That to me is crazy. The plugins should be made to adapt to JRiver, and not the other way around.

If Plex wanted to keep it updated and functional, that would be something else again :) You can add pluggins to JRiver easy enough. They are not all necessarily supported though.

Also there is a risk that adding additional front ends can affect the sound or video output chain (or input)

balky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:01:05 am »

Why would someone want Plex and JRiver? They do the same thing.

Ok, Plex client / plugin and JRiver are two completely different things,

Plex is not a player, but JRiver is...

The plugin simply allows JRiver to talk to a Plex server (another form of DLNA) and use the Plex presentation layer on the GUI side...

Technically, JRiver is still the player that is doing everything internally... the layout that is displayed on the front-end to user will depend on the layout that is configured on the Plex server...

In short, the only thing Plex is offering here will be the front-end eye candy and easier navigation

balky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:04:54 am »

Lots of XMBC fans would like that too.

The potential problem, IMO, with adding front ends (controllers renderers,  whatever), is that JRiver can't possibly be expected to develop their product around every external program or device.

I have even read posts of irritated JRiver users because now, JRiver doesn't work with "X" front-end, but in version 19 it did. That to me is crazy. The plugins should be made to adapt to JRiver, and not the other way around.

If Plex wanted to keep it updated and functional, that would be something else again :) You can add pluggins to JRiver easy enough. They are not all necessarily supported though.

Also there is a risk that adding additional front ends can affect the sound or video output chain (or input)

I currently use the PleXBMC plugin with the XBMC setup on my main HTPC...

The idea just occurred to me while thinking about using JRiver as the player instead of XBMC...

Technically, JRiver is a superior player in all aspects, video + audio, but ease of setup is somewhat questionable...

If there would be a PlexRiver plugin, many of us would be golden...
Pages: [1]   Go Up