INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver only downloads to 'C' drive  (Read 2649 times)

shelby1420

• Recent member
JRiver only downloads to 'C' drive
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:49 pm »

I have set up my e drive for music and its files, however when I try to install JRiver it does not give me the option to install in e--ONLY in c where I do not want it.

I am NOT a computer person however have many many high res files I would like to have ready to listen to via the computer.  Is there a way to download to the drive that I want or no, please help and thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

Rick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver only downloads to 'C' drive
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:06:57 pm »

Use the "Custom" install.

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:50 pm »

Thank you  thank you thank you!!!!!!

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:09:52 am »

You don't need to install MC to the same drive your media is on to consume your media.

In fact, I would never do that anyway - app binaries should always be separate.

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:31:04 am »

My forthcoming questions will tell you my knowledge base of computers............... 1) Whats MC? 2) Whats an app binarie? 3) how would you set up music and JRiver ( asking honestly as I really am fumbling around in the dark here and would appretiate any words of guidance or advice).  I have 3 hard drives in my computer...1 SS for operating system of 128GB and then two other hard drives each 1TB one of these is designated for my kids games and such the other i was thinking that all of my music and player would go on.......is this a good idea or no???  thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:32:11 am »

1) Whats MC?

It's our abbreviation for Media Center, the program you're (hopefully) using.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:35:11 am »

It's our abbreviation for Media Center, the program you're (hopefully) using.

Ah, ok!  thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:02 am »

Also, once you've installed, you've locked in the folder to use.

If you want to change it, uninstall and install again using the "Custom" install.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:47 am »

You don't need to install MC to the same drive your media is on to consume your media.

In fact, I would never do that anyway - app binaries should always be separate.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:52:36 am »

IN OTHER WORDS ALL APPS AND PROGRAMS SHOULD BE ON THE C DRIVE
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:59:02 pm »

IN OTHER WORDS ALL APPS AND PROGRAMS SHOULD BE ON THE C DRIVE

Ok, I get your point but then how do I download the files to e drive, they automatically go to the c drive where the MC is??

~OHM~

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:36 pm »

Ok, I get your point but then how do I download the files to e drive, they automatically go to the c drive where the MC is??

I don't get your question....what files are you talking about downloading to the e drive?

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:00 pm »

You can tell MC where your media is, and it 'indexes' it.  The index is stored where MC is installed.

For example, I have all my media on a home built media server, with each computer connected by network cables to a network switch.  The media server is placed in the loft, out of the way.

Media Center is then installed on a PC under my tele, with it using the networked media server for it's media.  So in my case, my media is not only on a different drive to where media center is installed, it's on a completely different computer.

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 11:55:55 am »

You can tell MC where your media is, and it 'indexes' it.  The index is stored where MC is installed.

For example, I have all my media on a home built media server, with each computer connected by network cables to a network switch.  The media server is placed in the loft, out of the way.

Media Center is then installed on a PC under my tele, with it using the networked media server for it's media.  So in my case, my media is not only on a different drive to where media center is installed, it's on a completely different computer.

Ok, now this I kinda understand....... what I want is for the music I rip from cd or download as high res files to go to E drive instread of c drive as its just way to small of a hard drive!!!  You mention being able to index, how would i go about this??

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:01:13 pm »

if you click on the "Rip CD" button at the bottom left of MC, there will be another "options".  click that....you'll get a window that has a "file location" button, where you can choose where all the ripped files end up

as far as the indexing...you just tell MC where your files are located.  my MC is located on the C drive but all the files are located on other drives...i just told MC where through the import options (tools, import).  the "index" is located in your MC folder (on the C drive)...the index is just the database pointer and not where your files are.  it doesn't take up any space

shelby1420

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:54 pm »

if you click on the "Rip CD" button at the bottom left of MC, there will be another "options".  click that....you'll get a window that has a "file location" button, where you can choose where all the ripped files end up

as far as the indexing...you just tell MC where your files are located.  my MC is located on the C drive but all the files are located on other drives...i just told MC where through the import options (tools, import).  the "index" is located in your MC folder (on the C drive)...the index is just the database pointer and not where your files are.  it doesn't take up any space

Brilliant, thanks man!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up