INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Behavior Issue  (Read 3366 times)

Leporello

Playback Behavior Issue
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:55:39 pm »

I rarely if ever use playlists.  Nearly all my music files are organized in "albums", with tags for album title, album artist and corresponding directory for each, with a unique track number for each selection within--pretty much the default when I rip a CD using JRiver Media Center, which I've found to be by far the most useful and user friendly ripping and tagging program.  When I start playing an album, what I expect to happen is to play each selection in order of track number until the last, then stop.  What happens instead is when it finishes the last selection it immediately goes back again to the first.  Maybe some people like continuous background music, but I like to sit down, listen to an album, then think about what I'm going to listen to next, or not.  Very old school, I know.

It should be obvious how to make it behave the way I want, or what search terms to use to find out how, but so far no joy.

Previously I've used various Logitech Squeezeboxes in my main listening system, which do behave in the desired way.  Since I've now built a HTPC I mostly like and have JRemote for iPhone and iPad I'm thinking of using the PC for music playback and deploying the SB elsewhere.  But this repeat forever behavior could be a deal breaker for me.  Any help would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback Behavior Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

What you describe is "Continuous Mode".  It's one of the three little buttons in the upper right corner of the window.

tippycanoe

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:52:04 pm »

Whoops ... I just saw the post (below?) referring to 'continuous mode'. I've checked the three icons on the top right as well as the playback options, and I can't see any reference to 'continuous mode'. Are some options, perhaps, not available in when running a trial version of the software?

I am having the same problem. I just started using the trial software a few days ago. At first I would begin playing an album by playing the first track. I did notice that the album would repeat when it reached the end. I've played with the repeat options and although I'm no longer having the whole album repeat, JRiver is now only playing a single track at a time. I would have thought there would be a 'play album' or 'play all' button. Kinda frustrating as I very much like the program and its many options. Just surprising that something so basic should be, apparently, so unintuitive.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:16 pm »

I am having the same problem. I just started using the trial software a few days ago. At first I would begin playing an album by playing the first track. I did notice that the album would repeat when it reached the end. I've played with the repeat options and although I'm no longer having the whole album repeat, JRiver is now only playing a single track at a time. I would have thought there would be a 'play album' or 'play all' button. Kinda frustrating as I very much like the program and its many options. Just surprising that something so basic should be, apparently, so unintuitive.

Look at Playing Now while you're playing.  That defines the current playlist.

Select multiple files when you want to start playing.  That way you'll have a playlist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tippycanoe

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »

Look at Playing Now while you're playing.  That defines the current playlist.

Select multiple files when you want to start playing.  That way you'll have a playlist.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have a handle on this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up