INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp3 transcodes not fully compatible with Chromecast  (Read 1511 times)

bubbleguuum

• Junior Woodchuck
mp3 transcodes not fully compatible with Chromecast
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:11:43 am »

Hi,

BubbleUPnP dev here.

Recently I had a report from a user using BubbleUPnP to play to his Chromecast  his music hosted by the MC media server.

He reported that playlist track advance in BubbleUPnP would not work whenever streaming WMA or WAV files, but that
it worked perfectly with mp3 files.

After some digging, I could reproduce this issue (using MC 19.0.163). It turned out his MC media server was configured to transcode non standard codecs
(such as WMA and WAV) to mp3 and that the mp3 transcodes produced by MC is problematic when played by the Chromecast.
The transcode plays fine until a few seconds before the end, then the Chromecast remain stuck never finishing playing the track, thus end of track
is never notified to BubbleUPnP and track advance doesn't occur.

The fix to this problem is to setup MC to transcode to PCM 16 bits (WAV), which doesn't have this issue.

I'm still reporting it as a possible MC issue that might be worth having a look.

To reproduce it:

- configure MC to transcode to mp3
- use BubbleUPnP to play several such transcoded tracks to Chromecast
=> playback remain stuck at the end of first track on the Chromecast, as if it was waiting for more data from MC

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: mp3 transcodes not fully compatible with Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:59:25 pm »

Hi,

BubbleUPnP dev here.

Recently I had a report from a user using BubbleUPnP to play to his Chromecast  his music hosted by the MC media server.

He reported that playlist track advance in BubbleUPnP would not work whenever streaming WMA or WAV files, but that
it worked perfectly with mp3 files.

After some digging, I could reproduce this issue (using MC 19.0.163). It turned out his MC media server was configured to transcode non standard codecs
(such as WMA and WAV) to mp3 and that the mp3 transcodes produced by MC is problematic when played by the Chromecast.
The transcode plays fine until a few seconds before the end, then the Chromecast remain stuck never finishing playing the track, thus end of track
is never notified to BubbleUPnP and track advance doesn't occur.

The fix to this problem is to setup MC to transcode to PCM 16 bits (WAV), which doesn't have this issue.

I'm still reporting it as a possible MC issue that might be worth having a look.

To reproduce it:

- configure MC to transcode to mp3
- use BubbleUPnP to play several such transcoded tracks to Chromecast
=> playback remain stuck at the end of first track on the Chromecast, as if it was waiting for more data from MC
Thanks. I think it's possibly a reported file size issue in the DIDL.
I'm not sure for mp3 the value is precise as it is for PCM. The mp3 should always be at least the size reported but could be slightly larger.
Pages: [1]   Go Up