INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Blaster E5 headphone DAC/amp  (Read 2305 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Sound Blaster E5 headphone DAC/amp
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:37:39 am »

Ever since Apple replaced their original connecter with Lightning I've been waiting for a MFi compatible headphone DAC/amp, and finally one is available and affordable in the SB E5.  However, there are implications out there, without iP users confirming otherwise, that the DAC will not work with apps like JRemote, and that the SB app must be used and the music files must be resident on the device. Do we have anyone here who can confirm this SB DAC works transparently with any player app (ie, JRemote)??

TIA 😁
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Sound Blaster E5 headphone DAC/amp
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »

I've finally received my E5 and while I'm having problems with installing the Windows (v.8.1) software and Windows recognizing the device, I'm more interested in other MC users use of the E5 DAC/Amp with their Apple device(?)  My intended use is to hard-connect (MFi-USB) the E5 to my iPhone (v.8.1.3) and hopefully listen to my MC library via the JRemote app.

TIA  :)

shAf

Re: Sound Blaster E5 headphone DAC/amp
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:15:59 am »

I thought I might post the results from early use and testing my E5:

Connected via USB cable (that came with the E5), I am able to play 24bit HD audio files on my Mac (connected to my Win8 MC media server) -- Sounds great!!

Connected via MFi certified cable from my iPhone 5s, I can use JRemote to play the same HD tracks (JRemote set for no transcoding) -- Sounds great!!

Connected via Bluetooth after pairing the E5 with my iPhone 5s, I can use JRemote to play the same HD tracks (JRemote set for no transcoding, but I assume I'm listening to Bt compression) -- Sounds great!!

I'm not sure why, but the same Bluetooth test failed with my iPad Mini 3, in which JRemote simply reported "something went wrong with playback".  I believe the interested reader may assume something is mysteriously wrong with this trial, and you might assume it should work just like with the iPhone (both loaded with iOS 8.1.3).  If I definitely cannot get it to work with my iPad I'll report back ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up